Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick in Night Romance

I recently picked up my second tube of Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick ($32) in Night Romance. Yes, that's right--I actually used up a tube, or I very nearly did before it disappeared into that Land of Lipstick Limbo or wherever it is lipsticks run away to.

The first thing I noticed (quite happily) was that Night Romance is still in the round metal packaging. Yay! Although I was pleased to purchase Edward Bess's new cool-toned lipsticks introduced this past Fall, I did  not care for the new square, lightweight packaging.


Night Romance is a creamy, smooth blue raspberry and slight brown undertones. It has plenty of slip while maintaining a good amount of traction. It is one of the coolest lipstick in Bess's collection, but unlike the cool-pastel Blush Allure and Rose Demure, or even Forever Yours, Night Romance is one of the deepest colors. I rarely repurchase any makeup item, especially lipstick because I. Am. Fickle.But this lipstick has been in my top 5 for more than a year.


I did not find out about this brand until early Fall 2010, after he'd already launched the three berry-toned lipsticks (Tender Love, Forever Yours, and Night Romance). I am glad I discovered him late because had I not started with the cooler trio (Tender Love was my first), I might have found his collection less enticing for being too warm--outside the two reds, Midnight Bloom and Eternal Passion.


Upon opening the tube, I was greeted by the familiar burst of wild figs, which quickly dissipates, and the formulation is as moisturizing and comfortable as always. In other words, no changes were made, but there is no need to improve on perfection. All of his lipsticks feel incredible on my lips. I can wear them all day every day and never experience dryness or discomfort. Color lasts between 2-4 hours, and never smears. It even has the tiniest bit of gloss to it.

Night Romance can be vivid on me because I have somewhat pigmented lips with a fair amount of mauve in them. To tone down the blueness, I swipe a latex sponge across the top of Vincent Longo Water Canvas Cream-to-Powder Foundation and erase my lips before I apply the lipstick. Although the color is mid-toned to deep, I never find a lip pencil is required.

Bottom line: In my top 5. One of my most reached-for roses.

Edward Bess products are available at Bergdorf Goodman and select Neiman Marcus stores, as well as at the Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, and Edward Bess online stores. In the UK, Edward Bess is sold at Zuneta.

All photos mine..

5 comments:

  1. Night Romance looks great on you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have beautifully shaped lips; you lucky girl. That color looks amazing on you.

    P.S. I don't like the new tube shapes either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried anything from Edward Bess, Night Romance looks gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ammie.

    Nat, you simply must!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.