Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring/Summer 2011 Runway Lip Trends

I look best with a bit of color on my lips, at least medium contrast, but I have to admit I'm really liking the fresh, natural look coming out of the Spring/Summer makeup collections and runways. It was a very long snowy winter in the Northeast, and now that days are creeping up out of the 30s, I am dying to lighten up my makeup after many months of greys and deep berries.

But first, I was really struck by the still-wintry burgundy lips:


It's really quite pretty but also severe and cold. The first model is quite stunning, and the second has a retro look reminiscent of a Jazz Age flappers. The models look older than they probably are, probably due to their dramatic makeup, especially the girl on the right--she could pass for mid 30s.

Compare that with the more natural looks found on the Spring/Summer runways for Hermes, Chanel, Celine, Chloe, etc. Luminous skin, groomed brows, chocolate and bronze eyes (taupe!), a bit of glow (highlighter or a bronzer with a sheen), flushed cheeks, natural glossy lips, and curled lashes (so you can skip mascara):



I love the above polished looks, which translate well to the office.

But those of us who like bold lips that accompany a more subtle overall look need not despair:


What lipstick style will you go for this summer?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of a very dark lip and sometimes in the winter I'll wear one, but it is ageing. I find a brighter red or a rosy pink is almost always more flattering on my paler skin tone.

    I'll most likely still be wearing the reds - I tend to like coral or cherry for summer. It's an easy way to feel put together - I can't faff with lots of eyeshadow in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.