Sunday, May 8, 2011

Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick in Midnight Bloom


Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick in Midnight Bloom ($32) is often called a "true Hollywood red," but it reminds me more of the red lips you see on chic European women whose eyes and cheeks are played down. A red that denotes casual, unstudied elegance.



Upon opening the tube, the brief burst of wild fig fragrance comes as a pleasant surprise, and this is from someone who dislikes fragrance in her makeup. For those of you who hate scented products, the fruitiness lasts only about 30 seconds.


Slightly blue based, Midnight Bloom does not turn fuchsia on my rosy-mauve lips. The formulation is silky and wears extremely well without drying my lips or bleeding. I don't usually wear lip pencil other than Lipstick Queen's clear pencil. Color wears very well, from 4-6 hours.

Here is Midnight Bloom compared to the other red lipstick by Edward Bess, Eternal Passion. While both lipsticks lean cool neutral, Midnight Bloom is a deeper plum red, while Eternal Passion is a bright Popsicle red.




In the following swatch, I have added Laura Mercier Bing Cherry to the mix. The Mercier shade is slightly warmer and has plummy-brown undertones.



Karla Sugar has swatched the entire Edward Bess lipstick line (excluding the newer Fall 2010 trio), and she shows a side-by-side comparison of Midnight Bloom and Eternal Passion. Also, if you are interested in Edward Bess product and do not live near a retail location, you will not want to miss The Beauty Look Book's Guide to Edward Bess. Sabrina's detailed journey through the Bess brand has helped me make many a makeup decision over the last two years (though I don't think she has reviewed his red lippies). But even before that, London Makeup Girl's review of Midnight Bloom helped me decide I wanted this lipstick.

Bottom line: Not entirely unique in color in my collection of reds, but a very pretty red that feels comfortable, wears extremely well, and lays down a lot of color without drying. Bess lipsticks are a treat for the lips.

Edward Bess products are available at Bergdorf Goodman and select Neiman Marcus stores, as well as at the Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus and Edward Bess online stores. In the UK, Edward Bess is sold at Zuneta.

All photos mine.

3 comments:

  1. You just made me interested in Bing Cherry. I have those two reds in his lipstick wardrobe but they are too vibrant for me; they look beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ammie. I have to say that Bing Cherry is my absolute favorite red next to Ellis Faas. Laura Mercier is #1, EF is #2, Chantecaille is #3, and EB has slipped to #4. But any red lipstick that makes it into my top 5 is a keeper. Now I have to see what Besame Red Velvet does to the rest of them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.