Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chantecaille Lip Chic in Zinnia


I thought I had purchased all of the Chantecaille Lip Chic ($30) colors that would flatter my skin tone, but then I read the excellent review by Modesty Brown and knew I had to have Zinnia.


But first I should profess my love for the Lip Chic line itself. I have Tea Rose, Heirloom, Damask and Dahlia, and I wear them all regularly. The colors are sheer, classic, and beautiful.

The metallic round case appeals to my minimalist leanings--sleek gunmetal pewter grey that clicks closed with a satisfying snap. The tip of the product is sliced off at an angle, versus the traditional, phallic bullet shape. The texture is a smooth, lightweight, comfortable, and cushiony, but during initial application (until it warms up on the lips) it can drag and feel a little stiff, which sometimes takes 3 passes. If I make one pass, it usually does feel stiff unless it's a really hot day or I've been carrying it around in my pocket.

With Lip Chics, it's clear that a lipstick and a lip gloss had a torrid affair and produced a bouncing baby, as the unusual gel-like texture almost feels bouncy on the lips, as though the formulation contained tiny microbubbles of moisture. The result is a high shine with the plumping effects of a gloss and the saturated, even coverage of a lipstick

Lip Chic is one of the only lipsticks I have ever purchased more than once, and I will continue to do so until they stop making it. They are in my top 3.

The only caution I have is the color can migrate outside my lip line if I apply too much of it (which is easy to do when a texture feels that good). So I just blot before I reapply. No big deal.

Zinnia is a sheer, mid-toned watermelon-meets-coral, with a base of orange laced with pink. Upon application, I love that elusive whiff of creme brulee, which quickly dissipates.



Sadly, the brightness of this color did not translate, no matter how many pictures I took. Suffice it to say that this is a beautiful, face-brightening color that is so comfortable to wear. Despite the blah of the following photo, Zinnia does add a punch of color.


Bottom line: Pretty, everyday color and a fantastic lipstick/lip gloss hybrid.

All photos mine.

15 comments:

  1. Dammit those pix are sooo sexy! Not only your pillow lips but actually seeing the tip of a new lipstick just makes me tingle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read your comment, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look like a lipstick/lip gloss hybrid. It looks beautiful on you with the shimmer. Thanks for the review and swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant review to read. I loved the bit about the lipstick and lipgloss love child! I'm so surprised by how the colour looks on you. On me, this is a really bright colour! It's Mulberry all over again.

    I was really interested to read your comment about migration as that happens to me too.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kristie, I love these lipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, it IS Mulberry all over again! We have to get Replica to try it on, too. Then we'll know I am a freak of nature.

    Actually, I have pretty pigmented lips, so I suspect that's the culprit. The color in the tube looks the same on my lips, and it is such a perfect spring/summer color. So thank you for planting the lemming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty on you! I bet it would pull brighter on me though. I still need to try one of these- do they make a nude? lol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanie, the do make lighter colors. You might consider trying Anais (I think The Beauty Look Book reviewed/swatched), Camellia, Sari Rose, Bourbon Rose, or China Rose--all too light for me.

    http://karlasugar.net/2008/12/chantecaille-lip-chics/
    http://karlasugar.net/2010/08/chantecaille-fall/
    http://www.thebeautylookbook.com/2010/08/chantecaille-tiger-in-wild-palette.html
    http://www.londonmakeupgirl.com/2010/04/chantecaille-bourbon-rose-lip-chic.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have any of these either and I really should. I really like that Zinnia color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hoping you'd do a post on these :) Your photos and swatches are lovely and the colour is really pretty in the tube, and on your lips! I love your desription of the texture too, your reviews are always excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ammie, you don't have a Lip Chic? Yikes, we must remedy that.

    Nat, thanks very much. I hope you get to try at least one of these out soon. I think they are sold at SpaceNK in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeoussss! :) I've heard good things about these, glad to know you like them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this color! Just started with Chantecaille, thanks for another product I now must have! Just curious, what other lipsticks round out your top 3???? Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vintage, like is not how I'd describe my feeling for Lip Chic. It's more like unbridled lust. Sometimes I want to lick the tube. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, pd! To clarify, Chantecaille (the brand) is in my top three for lipstick; the other two are Laura Mercier and Ellis Faas. My top three lipsticks are Chantecaille Lip Chic in Dahlia, Ellis Faas Milky Lips in L201 "Ellis Red," and there's a tie between Laura Mercier Bing Cherry and Sweet Cherry. LM bumped Edward Bess Night Romance to the fourth position. ;D

    If you are starting out with Chantecaille, have you purchased any eyeshadow yet? I bet you'd really like Pyrite and Bois. Pyrite is a complex shimmering golden pewter (pretty much cult status on MUA--you never see if go up for swap) and Bois is a gleaming warm brown.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.