Friday, June 3, 2011

Chantecaille Shine Eye Shade in Perle

Perle in shade
Not much to look at, eh? Don't run off just yet, because Chantecaille Shine Eye Shade in Perle ($28) is one of the hardest working eyeshadows in my collection.

At first I was completely underwhelmed by its bland whitish color, so I gave it away. Then it showed up again last winter in La Palette d'Olivia. I took a ho-hum dip into the pan, swatched it on the back of my hand, and suddenly realized not boring white but a complex, neutral ivory duochrome cooled with both pink and purple. The effects are extremely subtle--far more subtle than MAC pigments--though Perle reminds me a little bit of MAC Pink Opal without the gratuitous glitter).

Perle in indirect sunlight
I use Perle eyeshadow rather unconventionally. As it is intended, I applied it just under the arch in my eyebrow with a pencil brush, but shimmer in that area makes me feel like I am getting ready to go on stage. For eyes, I prefer a bit on the inner eye area, blended well. But the magic happens when I take a brush with a wider head (any teddy bear fluff brush, like Stila #5) and apply Perle to the cheekbones--under my blush--in a C shape up to meet the end of my eyebrows. I then apply a bit down the bridge of my nose, on my Cupid's bow, and just below the crease in my chin. Schwing!

Used this way Perle outperforms most of my conventional highlighters (Becca, Benefit, Cle de Peau, Trish McEvoy, etc.). It never looks powdery because it instantly becomes one with my skin. But even more surprising, it stays put all day; in fact, it looks better as my skin warms up and works with some of the oils beneath the surface--but it never highlights pores, and that is something I cannot say about the liquid and cream highlighters. I have also been using Perle dabbed in the center of the lower lip with sheer gloss on top, as well as in the center of the movable lid, even though Ernesto at Chantecaille told me that was "So 80s." Ppphht. I like it like that, so excuuuse me while I step into my khaki floods, push my Wayfarers up over my pageboy, and pop the collar of my polo.

Shade
It proved frustratingly difficult to capture the beauty of this product, but you can see some of the glimmer up near my wrist. Mostly it just looks like a satiny gleam, which makes this eyeshadow such a happy surprise on the rest of my face.

Sun

Perle works so well for me as a highlighter that I have already hit pan and have a backup on standby. Unprecedented!

Bottom line: You know you want it.

All pictures mine.

22 comments:

  1. Oh! I do want it! I do!!

    It looks like a perfect highlighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous review! You have absolutely sold me on this!!! I've never tried any Chantecaille colour products...maybe now it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea to use this as a highlighter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks gorgeous in your swatch, really glowy and subtle. It's great that it works as a highlighter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks stunning! Love neutral shades like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous idea, love Chantecaille poducts, I must try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unconventional? I like unconventional. I loved reading this piece. You described it so well and as is so often the case, you make me want to rush out to get me some Perle (with multiple backups). :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I was hoping Edward Bess' nude would be! I think I want this over that. I'm gettingBurberry's trench and I hope this is what it looks like otherwise I'm marching off to the Chantecaille counter! These pics made me drool btw! You have terrific taste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a versatile product!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old Cow, thanks for visiting! I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PP, I am shocked that you haven't tried Chantecaille! You must. The Olivia Palette was literally made for you. It's pricey, but if you bought the items a la carte, it would be a lot more. Write me if you want help choosing colors. Some people do not like the line because it is NOT heavily pigmented, but I find great beauty in that because it's layerable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ammie do you have this? It might be a bit cool for you. Pyrite (golden neutral) might be a nicer highlighter on your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nat, thanks, it really does glow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vintage, given your natural leanings you'd like this line. It often gets good ratings at EWG, and the owners are very philanthropic, donating portions of their profits to saving whales, dolphins, tigers, coral, and other endangered creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Young at Heart, thanks for visiting. Chantecaille is in my top 3 brands, and I absolutely adore how their products are so flattering and kind to my aging skin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Witoxicity, thanks! If you can see Chantecaille in person, check out Pyrite, too. It's a little warmer. All of the colors in the Olivia palette are decidedly cool toned.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenn, thanks so much! Edward Bess Nude is *much* more subtle. It's a beautiful base, but I don't know how well it would work as a highlighter--I'll have to check it out tomorrow morning! Nude has a satin finish, whereas Perle is a definite shine finish without any obvious sparkle. I really had to swatch heavily in the photos to get it to show, so you see a bit more glimmer than you would if applied normally to the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi t (or is that a 1?), yes, indeed, it is. Love your style gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really a nice shade! I love the dual use of it. The subtle sheen really interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love perle! I'll have to pull this out tomorrow and use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jeanie, do you have any Chantecaille? I highly *highly* recommend it. I bet you would love Granite eye shade and Tea Rose Lip Chic.

    luvs2, I'd love to know what you think if you try it as a highlighter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do want this, I absolutely do! I went and had a play at the counter on Thursday along with some others that you mentioned. This has such a beautiful sheen and the description of how you use it has me sold!!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.