Thursday, June 9, 2011

Edward Bess Ultra Luminous Eyeshadow in Storm


I've been experimenting with Edward Bess Ultra Luminous Eyeshadow in Storm ($30) for a few weeks now. I wish I could say I loved it as much as I love his his original formula, but I cannot.


What's sets this Spring 2011 eyeshadow apart from the older eyeshadows is a new round pan, the absence of the foam applicator, and that the packaging is now made in Taiwan instead of the US. The plastic feels lighter and cheaper, much less sturdy.


As for passing along the savings to customers from omitting the foam applicator, no. Both old and new eyeshadows are exactly the same size at 2g.  Now the applicator is gone, the packaging is thinner (and the compact is too small for its box), and the velvet envelope is made of thinner material than that provided with the eyeshadows in square pans.


I had been looking forward to a cool-toned eyeshadow from this line, and even though Storm is a cool, lavender-tinted silver grey with brown undertones, it contains more shimmer than I wanted. It also seems like the formula has changed since the gorgeous and creamy Intimate or Dusk. Storm is nowhere near as pigmented or smooth.

To be sure, Storm is the most cool eyeshadow in his collection. It is also the most sheer and most shimmery of any Bess eyshadows I own (though less frosty than Mirage, which I did not buy because peach does not suit me).

Bottom line:  A bit of  letdown.

I am definitely in the minority on my lukewarm feelings. See the following blogs, all of whom give Storm lots of love. (Note: Some of the reviews include Mirage):
All photos mine.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! I've never had a desire to order either of the two new colours. It was a combination about nothing about the colours attracting my attention and not caring for the new round pans. I much prefer the classy looking rectangular panned version although I'm always open to ditching the sponge tipped applicator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PP, thanks for the reminder! I just edited the post to make sure that no one thinks they're getting more product based on the absense of those applicators. Same amount in less-nice packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how disappointed you were when you realized that EB changed their manufacturing process. It's just sad that what looked like a very promising eyeshadow turned out to be so disappointing. I'm so glad I waited before buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with honest review. The color is nice but not exactly unique or mind-blowing. I still haven't used EB yet - maybe one day. Thanks for the swatches and review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice, but not worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that I love, love this shadow but have to agree that the decision to change packaging was a bad one. I don't my makeup to feel cheapy, especially from a luxury brand. Sorry it wasn't love for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marcia, I was disappointed, in the blushes, the new eyeshadow, the new lipsticks, and the new lip gloss. I don't know if manufacturing of the product changed, but the packaging took a turn for the worse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristie, don't let this review put you off. I am still a huge fan of the brand and it might be worth your checking out at least Intimate or Dusk eyeshadows and some of the original lipsticks in the round metal tubes. His bronzer is also really nice, but it looks like packaging has also changed on the brushes, which once came in a lovely box but now just come in a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn, yes I thought of you when I wrote this review, knowing how much you love it. If I owned less makeup and was 5-10 years younger, I might feel happier about Storm. As for my disappointment, I was FAR more disappointed in Rose Demure and Demi Buff. Sometimes ya gotta kiss a couple frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still toying with this one but may just hold off for a while as RBR and LMdB have my heart right now. Now you know I love Rose Demure- I guess different strokes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanie, I can't remember which RBR eye colors ou have, but will swatch Solstice Halcyon and Delicate Hummingbird and compare them to Storm. I suspect SH will be closest.

    To be fair, I LOVED Rose Demure in the tube. I am drawn to pretty pinks, but for the most part pink on my pink skin does nothing, and when I wear lipstick I want it to be face brightening. Of the trio I had my heart most set on that one. :( Blush Allure made me look like a 60s mod throwback. I need to stick with the deeper tones, like Night Romance.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.