Monday, June 20, 2011

Le Metier de Beaute True Eye Colour in Mulberry

Part 1 of the "I Don't Get It" series.


This post departs from the norm in that it's less a review than a huh?

I'll state up front that I like all of my Le Metier de Beaute True Color Eyeshadows ($30) and will review them individually in upcoming posts. For now, however, I want to talk about the weirdness that is Mulberry, which I have seen described as "mauvish taupe" and "too cool for most people."

Such descriptions were an irresistible lure for me, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing, people. I see brown, a warm golden dirty brown, one that makes me look like one of the Great Unwashed or someone who should race to a women's shelter. No grey to cool it down, no mauve, no taupe, no joy.

I purchased Mulberry for the first time last year and declared it a dud on me, but after I started reading blog reviews afterward, I began to wonder if my compact had been mislabeled. So a few weeks ago, I bought a new one.

I was so excited to open the box when it finally arrived, so convinced that I would finally see the marvelous mauvishness that was Mulberry and say, "Ah, yes, mauvish taupe," but I did not. I twisted and turned the new compact in all kinds of light, and at first (in natural indoor lighting without flash only), I was able to approximate the color I had hoped Mulberry would be.


You might look at these images and say, "I see it! I see it!" I see it, too, but it is utter camera foolery! A trick of the light.



Here's where we get down with the brown. I compared the new compact (left) with the one I purchased last June (right). The one on the right does look a little warmer and darker, but that could be due to age and use. What I did not see was an obvious difference, one that made me think, "Aha! They did mislabel the one from last year."


Even swatched on my skin, there is very little difference between the two, so I am sadly forced to conclude that Mulberry does very weird things on my skin, and it isn't pretty.I'd even go so far as to say that last year's texture looks nicer on my skin (smoother, less choppy).



As for a mulberry, Wikipedia says: "the fruits are red when they are ripening, turning dark purple to black" I wasn't expecting a red-purple-black (we'll save that look for the lipsticks), but I wasn't expecting warm golden brown, either. I wanted cool brown.

Photo credit Duke University

Bottom line: I don't get it. Mulberry mayhem. My skin is a cool pink porcelain, so why would a color everyone says is mauve brown and very cool turn golden brown on me? I give up. And I feel doubly foolish for having spent $30 on an eyeshadow I won't get much use out of not once but twice.

All photos mine except for the one from Duke University.

27 comments:

  1. I have this eye shadow and am dumbfounded by it as well. On me it turns a weird peachy goldish color far from "mulberry" at all. You are not alone in this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank GOD I am not alone, lol! I think Replica must have completely neutral and perfect skin for some of these borderline browns/taupes to look so cool on her. *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have this *yet* but it's on my lust list. I wonder what it would *pull* on my skin? Mulberry is definitely perplexing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanie, your skin is so cool and your eyes so icy, this would probably have the same result on you as Replica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so excited by the sound of this eyeshadow too. But thank goodness for Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup's review and other I saw I new to avoid it. It is very odd. Maybe one day it will be reformulate to the mauve taupe of our dreams ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no clue what happened but sometimes the sun, moon, and stars just don't jive and it turns into something else completely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol. I admire your determination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PP, maybe it's supposed to be layered. Ack.

    Olivia, lol. If JH Belle Noir looked as good on me as it does on you, I'd be in heaven. Instead I end up looking like Riff Raff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pd, I think there's another word for what I have, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a search for the perfect cool taupe is a fruitless endeavour. Every time I think I've found one, it looks too warm and peachy on my skin. Seriously, I give up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, you ended up with double trouble! I started the post thinking the color looked pretty nice in the pan, however I'm also quite perplexed by the actual swatch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is unrelated, apologies, but I love your favicon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How odd - it looks like it should be cool in the pan, but it definitely pulls yellow on your skin. Bobbi Brown does this on me; even her Gray eyeshadow turns rusty on my skin. I am sorry for your disappointment, but did chuckle a little at buying it twice.

    At least there is RBR Solstice Halcyon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the honest review. Both of the shades look similar. You are point on with the color description. It does look like a murky, dirty brown. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dovey, right! I can get the eyeshadow to look cool in the pan, but once it hits my skin ... blech.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vintage, no problem, beauty's where you find it. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liz, don't give up! Obviously our skin tones do unpredictable things to color, but if you haven't already, try Laura Mercier Topaz and Sable and Chantecaille Sel and Granite. The Dior single in Flirty Brown 555 is also great if you can still find it, the Chanel single in Slate 83 (which I think is still available), Rouge Bunny Rouge Solstice Halcyon, and the Becca Enigma palette has *three* cool/cool-nueutral taupes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grave, I agree it's perplexing. And I agree that many Bobbi Brown eyeshadows do exactly that--they turn yellow or orange on my lids, though they look normal when swatched on my hand. The funny thing is Grey is one of her only powder shadows that really works for me, but Cement goes on orange. I don't think I'll be buying duds twice any time soon, lol. But I did hear that LMDB packaging can be off sometimes (pans fall out and things mislabeled), so I hoped!

    The lure of the cool taupe eyeshadow is a dangerous thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kristie, thanks. Murky and dirt is not the way I like to start my day, hee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have two LMdB eyeshadows that get no use from me - Mulberry and Sequoia. One day I'll get ambitious and start layering them to see what I can come up with but in the meantime they sit. My coloring is fair and cool and I see no mauve in Mulberry on me either.
    It's time for you to swap the old one and return the new one!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't return the new one (I used it), but I know a new home where it might find some love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How annoying for you! I thought I was the queen of turning shades into strange warm hues, it is odd how it works for me and not you as we do sound like we have a very similar skintone and do seem to like the same shades. Its a shame we do not live near each other as I'd bring my Mulberry round so we could triple check it! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know exactly how you feel. im so so so pale and most browns turn this yucky orange/gold colour on my skin that just makes me look ill.
    But try putting it over a dark base? that might make for a really beautiful smokey eye? even though its not what you wanted, it may be an option.
    xx

    http://nanakkii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Replica that would be fun, but living near each other would also be very dangerous! We'd have to get part time jobs to support our habits. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi nana, that's a good idea. I don't do smokey often, but I've been thinking of layering Mulberry over a much cooler LMDB shadow, like Corinthian. What I need is a purply one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can't wait to see more of the "I don't get it" series, lol! I don't get why they would call this color Mulberry. False advertising, I say!

    I'm sorry this didn't work out for you. Maybe you can have luck with a swap with someone. I hate it when this sort of thing happens.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shannon, the false advertising award goes to Bobbi Brown where Grey is brown, and Red is brown lol. I already have a home for one of my Mulberry shadows, and I am determined to hand on to the second one and do some layering. If that doesn't work, away it goes! Life is too short for meh makeup.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.