Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lipstick or Lip Gloss?


I don't understand lip gloss. I want to like it, but I am always disappointed. When I 'graduated' from lip balm, I went straight to lipstick. Lip gloss did not even reach my level of consciousness, even though to be fair, the lipstick I chose was a sheer formulation without much pigment, a good starter shade. It simply did not occur to me to even consider gloss, and the counter ladies were not pushing it at me. Could it be timing? It seems that lip gloss did not reach mass media hysteria until after the mid 90s.

In all the years that followed, I stayed with lipstick, sometimes sheer, sometimes matte. I'd occasionally pick up a gloss, though I can count on one hand the number I bought in those 10-15 years. But I never wore it and would end up throwing it away. It was not until after I discovered Makeup Alley and online reviews and swatches a few years ago that I renewed my my efforts to feel the love. There are so many gorgeous colors, made all the more alluring by the fact that I could see the color through the tube.

New collections come out and I want. And occasionally I buy. And invariably I am disappointed. I have several Edward Bess glosses and Chanel Glossimer, as well some by Prescriptives, Rouge Bunny Rouge, MAC, Becca, Revlon, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, Fusion Beauty, and others, but I never reach for them.

When I apply color to my lips, I want to apply it end to end, completely within the lines, filling up my entire mouth. I make my sandwiches that way, too. Condiments must be spread edge to edge!  I just cannot do that with gloss, no matter how pigmented.

Perhaps I am going about it all wrong, but here is what I don't care for about glosses:
  • Sticky goop and glop, especially buildup in the corner of my mouth.
  • The weird shiny thing that happens at the top of my Cupid's bow, which makes it look like I'd just finished slurping down a greasy fried chicken.
  • The joy of walking down a city street only to have my lips sandblasted by street grit.
  • The way it feels: tacky, like an impermeable shield that suffocates my mouth.
  • The painful cracked feeling on my lips after wearing certain gloss brands all day. Some of the formulations feel like they contain fiberglass.
  • The fact that the finish is mirror shiny when I am more comfortable with a cream, satin, or matte finish.
And, quite, honestly, nothing makes my stomach flip like watching someone speak, who had liberally applied lip gloss to her pouter, and seeing the stalactites and stalagmites marching up and down between her lips as her mouth moves.

I also don't get the point of applying lip gloss just to the center of my mouth. All that does is cause unsightly stains on my coffee cup and make my lipstick wear off faster. If I want a dewy appearance, I'll wear a sheer and glossy lipstick, like my version of gloss:
When it comes down to it, I suspect there are lipstick lovers and lip gloss lovers. I am a lipstick girl all the way.

Which are you?

33 comments:

  1. Well, you probably won't be surprised to read I'm a lipstick lover too. I don't 'get' gloss for the reasons you list: I like lip colour that lasts and I don't like the sticky feeling. I would also rather wear a sheer lipstick (and those Chantecaille Lip Chics are my favourite formula too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Lipstick all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't much like the slip of glosses, either. A good lipstick feels like nothing on the lips, but glosses just feel gooey. Personally, I need more pigmentation than they can provide.

    I agree with you about Chantecaille's pot glosses. They're superlative. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm in the middle (yep, how's that for being diplomatic- I don't want to offend any lip products- lol). There are things I like about both: glossy pout (my lips are thin- they need all the help I can give them) but I don't like goop. My favorite lipstick formulas are Chanel Rouge Coco, Rouge Bunny Rouge, Edward Bess and Chanel Rouge Coco Shine. I have a difficult time with super pigmented colors. You know by now I shy away from bold colors(esp. reds).
    I go through spurts where all I want to wear is gloss then I get a new lipstick and it's love, love, love- I'm wishy washy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them both! I love the elegance of a nice lipstick whereas glosses are fun and flirty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own two lip sticks and hate them both. RCS and a ridiculously priced Armani one. I guess I'm in the minority but I'm a proud lipgloss girl and have far more than one person should be allowed! I love the ease of a gloss and the way it imparts shine to my lips. I can't do a sticky gloss but nothing touches a pigmented Chanel Glossimer. *swoons*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I was hoping you were reviewing that gorgeous Chanel gloss! I love that color what is it? I need that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vintage, for some reason that doesn't surprise me. I guess because there's not much gloss in vintage makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, I can tell from your posts that you seem to prefer lipstick. I've actually bought my fair share based on your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veuve, I don't think I have ever heard you talk about gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dain, yep. Though some glosses *are* very pigmented, but they seem to be the stickiest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeanie, god forbid we offend any of our makeup! It might do terrible things to our faces, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doc, I wish I liked gloss more. So many people seem to have so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenn, Our differences make the world go round, and if we ALL liked only lipstick, all the good ones would always be out of stock!

    Sorry to disappoint you with the photo teaser. That Glossimer is Wild Rose 119. It's a fairly pigmented mauve pink with lots of shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh I love Wild Rose! It's one of my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like both but only prefer gloss because my lips get chapped quickly and lipstick accentuates/furthers the dryness. I think my fave lippie is the hybrid glossy balms that are becoming more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agh I've been meaning to get Wild Rose!!

    I'm absolutely a lipstick girl but lately I've been enjoying switching things up by topping lipsticks with different glosses. I don't tend to wear them alone. I hate sticky glosses though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. I love both but I think lip glosses are more like lipstick toppers. I don't really wear lip glosses by themselves either. If given a choice, I will always purchase the lipstick first. Chanel Glossimers are my favorite glosses, nothing comes close to them in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. im a gloss girl. I absolutely never wore lipstick because everyone I tried made my lips feel like the sahara desert. I have since found some that i love but i am still a gloss girl at heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Liz, that's interesting because I find lip gloss chaps my lips. I do agree that lipstick formulations have come a long way and the hybrid ones are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. PP, many of your gloss-topper photos are the ones that lure me back in, like Circe leading me to the rocks! They looks so pretty on you, and while I like the way they look on me, I can't stand that feel, like my lips would slide off my face in a stiff wind!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kristie, I agree Glossimers are lovely. I didn't add them to my favorites list because they feel a bit stiff on my lips, but they have the BEST colors! And Chanel is where all my lip gloss money has been going lately.

    ReplyDelete
  23. luvs2, I would be heartbroken if you completely switched teams. You would have to rename your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm definitely a lipstick girl. Like you, I'm not a fan of the tacky feeling it leaves on lips and I also find that most seem to be quite drying on me too. The Chante glosses you mentioned do sound lovely though and the Bobbi Brown rich color glosses also sound nice. I think I need to check out the Chantecille Lip Chics you have on your list too, heard so many great things about them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nat, I'll do a review of the Lip Chics very soon. They are so lovely they deserve their own post, and if you like neutral, clear/sheer, bright reds, Dahlia is a MUST. I have so many items backlogged, but the weather has been terrible for picture taking,and I don't want to post up washed-out colors. That's why readers will see a few opinion pieces this week. Nothing but rain on the forecast!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like lipgloss because it is fast and easy to apply. I don't have to apply it with precision and the pigment of my lips will intermingle with the color if it is sheer. What bugs me is when someone draws outside the line with lipgloss. That is so gross because I can see the natural lipline. Please use a lip pencil to do that. *gets off soapbox*

    ReplyDelete
  27. I prefer lipstick. It stays on longer and I like the coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm definitely not a gloss girl, I don't have many & they are very rarely used! I don't understand the attraction of gloopy, sticky lips either. I'd class myself as falling somewhere in between balm & lipstick. Preferably a balm-like lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Olivia, but your JH lips are so perfect! And yes, outside the lines is that greasy chicken look I love so well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ammie, I knew you were going to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 25F, I adore balm-like lipstick! It's one reason why I love the new Laura Mercier gel lipstick formulation so much. And Chantecaille Lip Chic! And Clinique's Different Lipstick also feels really great on, though the colors seem more suited for warm skin tones these days. In the late 80s, they had more cool and vibrant shades.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love lipstick more. :D

    http://monsterprettyinthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.