Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-last Eyeshadow in Abyssinian Catbird


Part of my recent purchase from Zuneta included Rouge Bunny Rouge When Birds Are Singing Long-lasting Eyeshadow in Abyssinian Catbird ($34.12, 2.4 grams). Described as metallic bronze with gold highlights, I'd say that's accurate, though I also see green.


This eyeshadow is incredibly pigmented, and the texture feels almost cream based. You only need to tap your brush into the pan once and then tap if off, as it takes very little product to deliver outstanding color payoff. I like using the Hakuhodo S133 brush because its soft, flexible bristles grab onto the powder and hold it so there's less fallout—because there is a bit of fallout with Abyssinian Catbird, which I control by apply in very thin layers.

After this eyeshadow has warmed up on the skin, it gleams. I don't even mind the tiny bit of oil breakthrough on my lids midday (which I gently blend out with a fingertip) because the oil only enhances the beautiful glowy effect. Even with a very thin application, the olive-taupeness does something crazy to my blue-grey-green eyes, making them appear almost feline. Although my eyes are blue, they have grey rims and an amber starburst around the pupils, so they can look green in the right conditions, and Abyssinian Catbird makes m eyes look dark olive green.

Alas, even though my eyes looked incredible, when I stood back and took in the whole affect, I was saddened that the green undertones did no favors to my skin. Unfortunately, Abyssinian Catbird draws out the red around my nose, cheeks, and chin, but anyone who doesn't have pink-toned skin should love this.


Here's Abyssinian Catbird swatched on white paper.


The only eyeshadow I own that comes close in comparison is Edward Bess Intimate, a shimmering gold khaki taupe. They are not the same. I used to think Intimate was pigmented, but that was before I tried Rouge Bunny Rouge eyeshadows. Though both are deeply pigmented, gorgeous shades, Intimate takes one small step behind in texture. Abyssinian Catbird has a pearlized mossy patina, and next to its glistening verdigris shimmer, Intimate can come off a bit like sludge.

(Not that sludge is a bad thing! Sludge is earthy, with blends of brown and green, just what you find in these eyeshadows. It's not like I am calling Intimate "bilge water!" )


I still believe that Intimate is a worthy, even essential, eyeshadow of this color type—especially for warm-toned women with blue eyes. It is less shimmery than Abyssinian Catbird, so I find the finish to be a more subtle daytime look.


Rouge Bunny Rouge eyeshadows can be used dry or wet (which extends the wear). They truly are long lasting and crease proof. and blend exceptionally well.

Bottom line: A glowing earthy-bronzed must have.

Oh, and in case you were wondering ... I have catbirds at my feeder this time of year, though not Abyssinian catbirds.

mahalo.com
I'd have to travel to Ethiopia to see a real one.

birdfinders.com
Here are some great reviews (in alpha order by blogger) on Rouge Bunny Rouge Abyssinian Catbird:
All photos mine except where noted.

24 comments:

  1. I soooo love that you included pictures of the birds! What a nice touch! I have been eyeing this shade for a while now, debating between this and LMDB's Chameleon. If I ever break down and do a Zuneta order this will probably be in it! Thanks for a terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you described how great that is for your eye colour in skin tone. Makes me want it even more!!! Except I just ordered EB Intimate YESTERDAY!! Thanks for putting a damper on that excitement...sludge...LOL

    Jenn Chameleon is quite a sheer shade compared to my other LMdB eyeshadows. If you want uber pigment get the RBR but if your happier with a sheerer, luminous wash of colour then try the LMdB ;-) HTH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenn, I derive much pleasure from my feeders and feel like the birds are all my little avian children. I've been known to do some crazy things to make sure my woodpeckers get their suet in winter. Catbirds are fun; they sound so much like cats, they usually get my indoor kitties to take notice, at least initially, when catbirds first appear each season.

    PP, Intimate is still a fabulous color--an essential! London Makeup Girl is the first person I ever heard use "sludge," and, like her, I *like* sludge, LOL. I think it's just that I've had EB for two years now, have worn it a lot, and the RBR has that New Eyeshadow Smell. Don't worry, one day I'll probably refer to Abyssinian Catbird as "green crust from tarnished copper" LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, Rock & Republic eyeshadow in Snakeskin would have been an interesting comparison, but I swapped that away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Zuzu

    ACB is one of my top ten e/s colors ever! It's so beautiful! I love this post and enjoyed reading it so much. You have such a way with words.
    I have Chameleon and Snakeskin- I will dig those out and have a peek at how they compare.
    I don't know if I should thank you now for a brand new lemming but I will sooner or later end up with Intimate- as it's one of those shades I'm drawn to.

    PS thanks for the link too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanie, I'd love to see a comparison of those greenish taupes! I have never seen Chameleon in person. I tried to repurchase Snakeskin at the R&R sale on Hautelook recently, but it appears to be gone forever.

    I also edited my post to make sure it didn't come across as negative towards Intimate. Though ACB is the more luxe product, I think Intimate is more versatile, certainly for day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This didn't come across as negative towards Intimate at all. I really need Catbird and will get it as soon as it comes back into stock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ammie I didn't mean to imply she was coming off negatively towards Intimate....just teasing her about the Sludge comment LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. PP, I think Ammie was referring to my comment above hers, where I wrote, "I also edited my post to make sure it didn't come across as negative towards Intimate." Group hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are superb.
    For color I'd pick Absynnian Catbird over LMdB Chameleon. What Chameleon does best is work with other shadows to change the tone. On its own it's not special but it's wonderful over another shadow. I absolutely need to get these out for comparison too. I wonder if I still have Snakeskin to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As an aside, London Makeup Girl introduced a group of us on a website to the term "sludge" in eyeshadow. At first it seemed like such an odd description and now it's so fitting and not a negative in any way at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marcia, thanks. And good point about the LMdB eyeshadows, which usually look best layered. I'd forgotten about that and really should get a Kalaedescope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too much gorgeousness! Love the shade & design<3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I *HEART* sludge! I don't think of this one as sludgy though- it's more of a dirty delicious bronze. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dirty delicious bronze. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! This really shows the texture of the shadow and the color pay off you get. The color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been coveting this since I saw it on a blog post about a year ago. So beautiful! I love how you included pictures of catbirds :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool color! I wonder if Meow Cosmetics Obelisk is a dupe too? I have to go dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ZP, you don't own a LMDB kaleidoscope? I didn't know that. I would suggest Splendid Frost while it is still available. Penelope is gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HDtM, I do NOT have one! Last I checked (had to drive an hour+), the closest NM did not carry the line. None of the Nordstroms around do, either, and it looks like Kaleidoscopes are sold at counters -- except for the current Crochet on NM online, and they do not have Splendid Frost. But, holy cats, I wish I didn't know about it. Crystal Ball and Empire are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow ZP!! Time to get a Kaleidoscope!! Nordstrom's online still had them in stock quite recently but they appear to be gone now. LMdB is very good about tracking stuff down at counters for ppl. Hit em up on Facebook or Twitter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Zuzu, I was initially only keen on RBR lipsticks and blushes, but now I want their eye shadows too! :) You are such a 'bad' influence ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. PP, I think I am going to leave the sold-out ones to fate and get ready for what rolls out next. Lord only knows the last thing I need is another brand to obsess about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Esther! Heh, my work is done for the day.

    I don't know what your coloring is, but if you create a profile on zuneta.com, the system tries to match you with colors in a particular item. The texture of these eyeshadows is really exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.