Saturday, June 25, 2011

Rouge Bunny Rouge When Birds Are Singing Long-lasting Eyeshadow in Delicate Hummingbird


Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-lasting Eyeshadow in Delicate Hummingbird (£22.00/2.4 grams) is described as a cool, dusky sugar-frosted plum, iridescent with pink shimmer. I definitely see that and I hope you do, too in the photos that follow.

There is nothing boring about this color in the pan. I'd heard it bordered on taupe, but maybe I dreamed that because Delicate Hummingbird does not seem particularly taupe to my eye, where I see taupe as grey + brown. Instead this color is a pigmented, mid-toned violet with pink and blue duochrome shimmers nestled in subtle brown undertones. Make no mistake: This is a purple shade but one that does not shout its purply presence.

My skin tone is cool, and I don't look good in warm shades, even if they mirror the colors in my eyes (which are blue with grey rims and amber flecks). Browns have always been problematic, and although I can wear some taupes (a nebulous shade that has developed a cult following and which seems to elude us as much as the Dodo bird), I have always preferred wearing greys, smoky plums, dusty lavenders, and greyed mauves. Delicate Hummingbird is the Monarch of Purple, so seductive with its subtle gleam and plummy goodness. I'd place it a full octave above Solstice Halcyon (reviewed here) in depth and pigmentation.

Following are some images of Delicate Hummingbird, in the pan, in different lighting. You can click the images to enlarge them.

Full sun
Indirect sun
Indoors by window
Indoors, natural light, no flash
Here are some skin swatches. I hope you can see how the color changes in different lighting. If I press-roll my fingertips over the finished result, I can make the pearlized particles lie flat, which then capture light and increase the luminosity. Once applied, the color dances to life as it warms up on the skin.

Full sun
Indirect sun -- looks almost taupe, doesn't it?
Indoors near window
Indoors, natural light, no flash
Here is Delicate Hummingbird compared to Rouge Bunny Rouge Solstice Halcyon and MAC Shale. In the pan, Delicate Hummingbird comes closest to Shale. These pictures represent the color tone well enough, but because of the cloud cover, the images do not fully capture the eyeshadows' beauty, especially Shale, which looks flat (it isn't!).

Windowsill, cloudy morning
On table beneath skylight (overcast skies)

The following image shows all three eyeshadows on the back of my hand. RBR Solstice Halcyon and Delicate Hummingbird are nothing alike. Solstice Halcyon appears almost taupe, whereas Delicate Hummingbird is closest in color to MAC Shale (which is more plum compared to Delicate Hummingbirds violet tones).

Under skylight, overcast skies
The texture of Delicate Hummingbird (and all RBR eyeshadows) is incredibly lightweight, and it is so superfatted it applies like a cream. No powder fallout, and I mean zero. After it has been on for a while and has intermingled with the skin's natural warmth and oils, it becomes luminous, all the while maintaining its second-skin effect. In that respect, it reminds me of Chantecaille Shine eyeshadows, only RBR is much more pigmented. When Birds Are Singing Long-lasting Eyeshadows are also skin treatment. They contain orange-derived flavonoids to fight free radicals and improve blood microcirculation.

Bottom line: Purple perfection. A must have for any cool-toned eyeshadow lover.

See Modesty Brown's post, where she compares Delicate Hummingbird to other eyeshadow colors. See also Marcia's post at Beauty Info Zone.


Rouge Bunny Rouge products are available internationally through the Zuneta.com web site.

All photos mine

19 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics and description!! I can't wait to get my hands on this one!! Stupid mail strike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received this a few days ago and it's gorgeous! I can't wait to wear it! I'm currently lusting about my new Chanel treasures.... lol

    Then you know the whole RBR passion will start again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your descriptions. I have this on order as I think it looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty, unique shade and your photos are beautiful! This one's definitely being added to the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PP, not a mail strike! How frustrating.

    Jeanie, I can't wait to see your review.

    Ammie, thanks. And you finally caved! I hope you don't find it too cool for you.

    Nat, thanks so much.

    Everyone, I don't know if you subscribed to comments, but I just uploaded comparison swatches with the only two eyeshadows I own that I thought might compare. Hmmm, another one to potentially test is Laura Mercier African Violet. *runs off*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures as always! I love Delicate Hummingbird. I don't see it as a taupe at all, it's definitely in the purple family not brown. I did swatch a colour from Trish McEvoy that was very similar though I can't recall the shade name. I have an Accessorize eyeshadow which is close too.

    I'll have to see if I can find that Trish McEvoy again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, I'd love t know what that color is. But TM seems to cycle through colors pretty quickly, doesn't she? So it's likely gone. :( After almost 10 years away from purples, I am back, in part because those colors don't turn on me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very unique shade, It looks amazing! :) I NEED thiss!!! I haven't bought makeup in ages haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I *think* it was Raisin. Sugar Plum looks nice too but I went to the counter with the express purpose of swatching Raisin and from the looks of it in KarlaSugar's swatches here I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh noooooooooooo. Why did I look? Both of those colors are gorgeous! And Gilded Taupe isn't too shabby, either. I don't have much Trish, but I think that's about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely regret not having caved in and bought some when I was in Selfridges. Those colours are lovely. I still have my eye on some of the Chantecaille e/s. Just got paid too......yay!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! Which Chante shadows are you thinking of? I adore the brand and I think I have around 21 of the eyeshadows ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I have eyeshadow overload and that is my reason for not buying the latest and greatest high end stuff. I need to start chucking things away like my 200 eyeshadows that I don't use. I need to buy some RBR or my life is just a total loss!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You might want to try just one--the textures and colors really are scrumptious. But I'm with you on eyeshadow overload. I actually compared all my matte skin-toned taupes today and was horrified at how many near duplicates I have. Now that I have the Ikea Alex, and all my makeup in one place (as opposed to various boxes and a train case), it's all right in front of me. Shameful.

    The funny thing is I often prefer the cheaper ones. Except for Chantecaille. That line is divine and probably my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Purple perfection sums this up!!! Gah, I needed this yesterday! I hope it is back in stock at Zuneta! Terrific too as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's back in stock! Cue the choir!!! This little eye shadow will be mine soon, your review was just the nudge I needed to order this! Thanks for the push. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great news! Nothing makes me happier than someone finding joy based on a review I write. The funny thing is I resisted buying Delicate Hummingbird for weeks because I thought it would be too purple, and it has turned out to be one of my all-time favorite RBR eyeshadows. I hope you love it as much as I do, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review :) What a pretty shade! I love all things purple so this one will definitely be on my wishlist for the day when I finally cave and order some RBR! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. MM, I literally wore no eyeshadow color besides purples and greys for more than a decade. I have no idea when my taupe obsession started,but if I am truly honest with myself, browns just are not right for me. My lids are sort of lilac colored naturally, so purple is my friend.

    I can't WAIT to read about your RBR haul when the day comes and see how you've put together your beautiful still life for the images. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.