Friday, June 17, 2011

Spring/Summer 2011: Vincent Longo Galaxy Dream Collection Review

Vincent Longo Galaxy Dream Collection
mini splurge

I recently posted the good news that Vincent Longo, a brand I have loved for at least 10 years and which had become increasingly difficult to find, was back stronger than ever with a new collection called Galaxy Dream. This review is about the new Pearl X Eyeshadow ($25), which I bought in the colors Code 6 Pink and Luna Beach.

(I will review the Perfect Shine V Gloss and Perfect Canvas Liquid Concealer separately.)

The case is sleek and sturdy black plastic that stays firmly closed because it is magnetized. This compact is not going to open in your bag. The eyeshadow and/or packaging is made in Italy, and you get a generous 3 grams.


Code 6 Pink contains splashes of pearly magenta and gold amidst swirls of matte turquoise, antique rose, and charcoal.

Code 6 Pink in natural light
Code 6 Pink in natural light
Code 6 Pink in sunlight
I want a summer-weight comforter in these colors!


When blended together, Code 6 Pink turned into a very soft cool tape. Though you can't see any of the individual colors in the blended result, they all play an important part. The grey and rose give it a cool softness, the magenta and turquoise its vibrancy, and the gold keeps it from becoming too icy. If you look very closely at the leftmost edge of the swatch (especially top left) you can see a hint of the gold. It really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

Code 6 Pink swatch in indirect sunlight
Luna Beach embroiders brown, grey, peacock blue and purple matte bases with pearlized electric blue, copper, and hot pink strands mixed with tiny flecks of green and gold.

Luna Beach in natural light
Luna Beach in natural light
Luna Beach in sunlight

It would have been hard to top my joy over Code 6 Pink, but Luna Beach turned into a deeper cool-neutral taupe with a slightly copperized bronzed cast.

Luna Beach swatch in indirect sunlight

I was thrilled with the texture. Maybe Vincent Longo eyeshadows have always been this silky; I cannot say, as I have only (faithfully) purchased the Water Canvas foundation, primer, and lip stains the last 10 years, but this superfatted, creamy Pearl X Eyeshadow rivals the buttery texture of Rouge Bunny Rouge and Edward Bess. I'd compare the pigment and color payoff to Le Metier de Beaute, which pleases me because it means I can layer to get the intensity I want, and it would be hard to overdo. Since I prefer a natural look, this really suits me, and the colors complement my fair, cool skin tone. The finish is satiny with a very subtle gleam, which will be kind to maturing eyelid skin.

It appears that four out of the five eyeshadow compacts are cool, but there is a warm, earthy-toned one called Etherea. Temptalia has an excellent closeup of this beautiful color.

For some reason the Vincent Longo web site is not promoting this collection, but I noticed there is free shipping. I have no idea how long that promotion lasts, but don't wait.

Bottom line: If you like cool, cool-neutral taupes, I high recommend the Pearl X Eyeshadow, which is a steal at $25. 

For excellent customer service with a personal touch (a rare thing these days) call Jasmin at Vincent Longo in NYC at 212-760-0099. (I am not affiliated.)


All photos mine.

26 comments:

  1. These are so incredibly beautiful. I wonder if they will be available in th eUK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Honestly if I had just seen those in the pan I would have completely ignored them. I'm never attracted to those kinds of gimmicky looking things but your swatches are gorgeous! I will definitely have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These shadows are so unique with their color combination! The pictures in your post are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they look so pretty in the pan! They look different to what I was expecting in the swatches, much more natural and wearable than I thought they'd be! Both shades look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so pretty and just the sort of shades I would go for. I only ever had 1 VL shadow a long time ago but then the brand seemed to disappear from the UK. If its making a comback I'll make sure to see if we will get it back here, thanks for this enabling review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have thought those colors were so beautiful until you swatched them. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are lovely when mixed but honestly I don't see the point in the colorful pans. Like some of the other commenters, I would never have given this a second look until I saw the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those photos are AMAZING! What camera do you use??? and the shadows are gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlie, I have no idea if VL is sold anywhere but the US. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'd be happy to do a CP for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PP, I am not normally attracted to gimmicky, but I didn't see a trick when I looked at those pans. I drooled. They were all colors I like in such beautiful combination, and since I am very interested in color theory, I had a good feeling the result from all that pink and grey and gold would be gorgeous. I was not disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get Gawjus, I really think VL did a good job reintroducing his brand back to the masses. It's unfortunate the colors are predominantly cool, since the majority of the human population has yellow-based skin, but for ONCE we pale pinkies have lots of choices. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dain, yes I thought so, too. I was unable to resist. I might try Etherea next, the golden bronzed compact.

    ReplyDelete
  13. productdoctor, thanks very much. If you get a chance to check these out in NYC, do! I have the feeling Etherea would look spectacular on you, and I think you'd like the texture (given your recent disappointment with Mirage).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nat, it was definitely a risk buying something so odd looking in the pan, and I was surprised that the result was so wearable and so TAUPE! *happy dance* Both were very natural on my skin. No crazy turquoise or magenta!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replica, I actually thought of you when I was playing with them, since you and I like a lot of the same colors. The VL brand didn't just disappear in the UK, but over here, as well. As for enabling, I'm just paying you back for all the products I bought based on our reviews! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Veuve, I am honestly surprised by your comment given your artistic tendencies! And I think you know me well enough to know by now that the point matters not, lol. It's all about LUST!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jeanie, thanks! I was fortunate enough that 1) the package arrived on a day I was working at home and 2) it was sunny out. (We've had nothing but rain for weeks.)

    My camera is just a simple point-and-shoot Canon PowerShot 8MP digicam with 3x optical zoom. It's almost 3 years old, so there would be a newer version of it out by now, probably with more megapixels and a larger LCD.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know, I know. But for some reason, I'm lazy when it comes to makeup. I never want to have to mix colors...

    ReplyDelete
  19. those are so beautiful!! I love how the colors play into amazing neutrals. Thanks for the shoutout :) :) (I'm beaming hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Those photos turned out so well and I'm amazed at how much they differ when swatched.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These eyeshadows are so pretty, I don't know if I would want to touch them. So whimsical and amazingly beautiful. Your close-up photos are fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. C, thanks. I was really surprised at how neutral the blend was. I can't decide which I like more.

    Jenn, I was equally surprised.

    Wit, thanks very much. I was also afraid to touch them, but I had to take one for the team. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.