Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Brief Blog Break While I Build a Man Cave

Photo credit Google images
My husband left this morning for a three-day hike in the mountains. Although I adore the quiet of the forest and would love to go, it is freakishly hot and humid, even up north, so I have released him into the wild while I stay at home and work on a big project.

Did I mention big?

He will be gone over his birthday, and I never know what to get him, so I have decided to build him a man cave, his own private sanctuary/office that no one enters. Given his tendency to be messy, I am tempted to adhere a sign over the door that reads, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here," but it will be his mess.

If I work very hard and efficiently, when he gets home, he will be able to walk into what used to be the guest bedroom--where the ceilings are currently painted a depressing dark blue with barn boards nailed to the lower walls in some crazy, rustic version of wainscoting--and heave a sigh of pleasure. As soon as the electricians finish in that room, I will paint his favorite shad of sky blue to brighten it up and will move in the bookshelves, new desk, a small sofa he can nap on, and a big vintage map of his favorite mountain range, if I can find one in time. His new office will also be properly wired for air conditioning.

Photo credit Google images
We live in a small cottage, which was built during World War II when families were larger and houses were smaller. Our house provides plenty of room for two people, but since it is considered only one-and-a-half stories, I very quickly realized that this project will require more work than I originally thought. In order to create serenity out of chaos, and make room for the new, I must cull through eight years of accumulated detritus and find a new use for it, repair it, donate it, or throw it away. Trash pickup comes this morning, and they are in for a surprise.

What does this have to do with a beauty blog? I have grown really tired of twisting around or bumping my shins into oversized furniture to open a window or get a book from a shelf, so I am scaling down. New paint and trim will make everything look cleaner and more open, new mirrors will  reflect windows and give the appearance of more space, and smaller furniture and new storage (e.g., items that double as an end table, but which hold linens, pillows, game, etc.) will provide more physical space.

And for all my efforts, I am also creating a private office/reading room of my own. I call that a thing of beauty.

See you soon!

9 comments:

  1. Your husband is such a lucky man! I'm sure he'll be stoked to come home and find himself a man cave. Best of luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift to your husband! He is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exhausted! And not even done. I just spent 14 hour day doing hard physical labor, such that it reminded me of move-in day. And that was just to clear the way for the electricians! But my house already feels bigger, so I feel pretty good, and this ridiculous heat is supposed to ease off some time tomorrow.

    I wish someone were here to rub my feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, you're an awesome wife! Good luck finishing everything and let us know of his reaction. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful I idea! He will love it. I hope the rest of the project goes smoothly for you. Good Luck! He'll be so happy he'll be more than happy to rub your feet when he gets home ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully thoughtful and loving gift. He will be so happy! Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a wonderful wife to surprise your hubby like that. How thoughtful of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! Unfortunately, the electricians left after only 4 hours yesterday (issue with one of their kids) and asked me to prioritize what I want done today, their last booked day. I told the guy he better be prepared to work overtime because I need the job completed. I hope I scared him, but they really messed up my plans because I should have been painting the new office late yesterday but, instead, I now have to wait for them to finish today.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.