Monday, July 25, 2011

Rouge Bunny Rouge Alabaster Starling Eyeshadow


I purchased Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-Lasting Eyeshadow in Alabaster Starling (£ 22.00) at the same time as Delicate Hummingbird, so I am a little behind in my review. At 2.4 grams (around $34 at today's exchange rate), the eyeshadow—in terms of texture, ease of application, and longevity—is what I have come to expect from this brand. Luxe.


The color is described as metallic silvery-white, with a hint of pinky beige. Excellent highlighting eye shadow

Alabaster Starling in direct sunlight
Alabaster Starling in indoor lighting, no flash
Unlike other brands, whose color descriptions are so far outrageously wrong as to be laughable (e.g., Bobbi Brown, where "mid-toned grey" is warm brown, etc.), Rouge Bunny Rouge does an excellent job, although I wish I saw more of the pink beige on my skin than a reflective white sheen.  I also should have payed closer attention the word metallic, because what I was really looking for was a base color, Unfortunately, the frost in Alabaster Starling is outside my comfort zone for everyday/office wear. As suggested, I also tried it as a highlighter, directly under my eyebrow arch, on my cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose, on the Cupid's bow of my lip, and so on, but let's just say this look is better reserved for evenings, ideally on under-30 skin.  I prefer Chantecaille Perle eyeshadow for its more subtle highlighting effects.

Nevertheless, Alabaster Starling is an outstanding product. It blends with ease and lasts all day, even without primer. If a foiled eyeshadow effect is what you enjoy, this should thrill you. Here are some swatches of Alabaster Starling on my (NW15/20) skin:

Swatch in direct sun
Indirect sun
Natural indoor light, no flash
The following Zuneta video shows Alabaster Starling being applied. Starting at 01:05, you can get a really good visual for how shimmery this eyeshadow is.I saw the glitter and bought it anyway.


Bottom line: Outstanding quality and beautiful color, but I've never been comfortable with frost on my lids.

All photos mine. I purchased this eyeshadow from zuneta.com..

11 comments:

  1. Such a shame it doesn't work for you, it looks pretty in your swatches. I'm not really a big fan of overly shimmery/frosty highlighter shades either, I prefer a more natural, glowy finish from highlighting products. I still need to check out Chantecaille's Perle which looked beautiful in your swatches, and I'm also tempted to give one of Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfectors a go. I'm just a little bit hesitant because I'm not sure how they'd hold up on my oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors is really dewy, so you might want to start with Chantecaille Perle and can be done really subtly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! I might NEED this! Thanks for the great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful, I agree it's too bad it doesn't work for you!

    I'm going to have to order some RBR products when I'm off my project pan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read Replica's review where she's using Alabaster Starling on the inner corners of her eyes. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow and see if I can amp up the lovefest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have this one in my *to try drawer*. Your photos are lovely as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit that it's pretty but I guess at $34 a pop I want something more than for the inner corners of my eye. Thanks for altering me to this, I think I'll pass on this color- for now at least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame, I do hope you can get it to work for you. I use it quite a bit, but only a little dab at a time, as I said before in the inner corner but I also use a touch in the centre lid sometimes when I am wearing different colours on the inner and outer lid, if that makes sense x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to be so careful with this shadow since it's definitely shimmery. It's so easy to overdo it and then end looking work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the heads-up on this one. It's a lovely color and I may be able to get a lot more use of it since I enjoy shimmer, but after watching the video it appears there is almost a glittery consistency to it. I kept seeing flashes of light from larger pieces of shimmer. I can handle the overall glossiness of the color, but don't like the glittery bits.

    Great pictures, and especially thanks for linking the video, which really shows what the shadow is all about!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.