Friday, August 5, 2011

Chantecaille Shine Eye Shade in Meteorite


Poor unloved Chantecaille Shine Eye Shade in Meteorite ($30) sat in a drawer, unused, for months. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to order a grey eyeshadow, sight unseen, without a single review, or even swatches, to go on. When it arrived I took one look, proclaimed it too dark, and put it in the drawer, where I'd occasionally bump into it and tell myself I ought to at least try it on.


Nothing makes me want to kick myself like an impulse buy that I never use, so I finally forced myself to try on Meteorite this past weekend. What started out as a halfhearted, bored attempt, turned into one of those jarring experiences where my skin instantly brightened as the sallowness and shadows fell away, the ruddiness cleared, my eyes sparkled, my lips looked more rosy, and an angel got her wings. All from a simple eyeshadow wash. It was as if this eyeshadow had been created specifically for me.

Previously, my favorite mid-toned eyeshadow by Chantecaille was their Shine Eye Shade in Granite, a beautiful shimmering taupe, but suddenly Granite was dead to me; I had a new love now. Cooler toned than Granite, Meteorite more closely mirrored the shadows on my eyelids. Pure grey and grey-based shadows have always complemented my fair pink-beige skin tone, looking looked more natural than when I attempt to wear browns and beiges.




I was surprised that I could not find a single review for Meteorite online, even though Chantecaille introduced the color around two years ago. I was pleased, however, to stumble across some articles where Chantecaille's makeup artist, Lucia Pieroni, is using Meteorite in the Fall/Winter 2011-12 runway shows. For the Christopher Kane show:
Chantecaille's Tiger In The Wild palette was used on eyes, along with Rose Gold shadow on lids and cheekbones, blended with hints of Chantecaille Meteorite eye shadow. The shadow was very rounded, with shades blended without edges or lines - just soft colour. Lashes were curled without mascara.
I'm not crazy for the overall look (the model's lips look chapped, and her eyebrows are ungroomed), but the eyeshadow is pretty.


Photo credit: InStyle.uk
Photo credit: vogue.com
Olivia Chantecaille also wore Meteorite smudged into her upper lash line for The Wedding Look:

Photo credit: chantecaille.com
Some people might look at Meteorite and see a softly shimmering ash-brown taupe. I see a shining grey warmed ever so slightly by brown. Meteorite looks exactly as I'd imagine if a giant chunk of it fell  from space into my backyard.

Photo credit: rosssea.info/meteorites





Unfortunately, it proved quite difficult to capture the beautiful pearlescent glow of this product on camera.








I like to wear Meteorite simply, from lash line to crease, blended out with something softer, like Shu Uemura M Beige 804 (a creamy, matte flesh-tinted nude with pink undertones) or Chantecaille's discontinued Agate (a muted smoky lilac-beige) and a tiny bit of Chantecaille Shine Eye Shade in Perle just under the arch and blended away almost completely.

The only other shimmery grey eyeshadows I have that are remotely similar to Meteorite are Bobbi Brown Rock and Becca Lamé, but I could not find them for a comparison swatch. And I like Meteorite so much better than Le Metier de Beaute Corinthian, which I gave away. All my other well-loved greys (Shu Uemura M Grey 943, Laura Mercier Twilight Grey, MAC Copperplate, Chantecaille Zinc and Titanium, Prescriptives Pewter, Bobbi Brown Grey, and Rouge Bunny Rouge Grey Go-Away Lourie) are matte and many have blue undertones.

Bottom line: Meteorite could, quite possibly, be the last lid/crease color I ever buy.

All pictures mine except where noted in caption.

15 comments:

  1. that sounds like a great eyeshaddow!!
    Grace xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you like Meteorite? LMAO I may have to cave one day and try some Chantecaille!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, it is!

    PP, nah, just so-so. LOL. I agree Chantecaille is well worth investigating, but the brand has its detractors. Color payoff is light to medium. I believe the Chantecailles really want us to have natural-looking faces, so these eyeshadows can be disappointing for people who like a lot of color laydown, like you get with RBR Abyssinian Catbird. There were times in my life where Chantecaille fell out of favor, but it is exactly what I want right now. Then again, if you're already used to layering LMdB eyeshadows, the pigment of Chantecaille should be what you are accustomed to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me how this compares to Edward Bess Soft Smoke Trio? I may have to pick up meteorite today! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color.... the second photo though turned me off a little because it just looked so dismal. The swatches are lovely though =)

    I have more browns than greys so this would be good option for me. Thanks for the pic's and review xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love grays like this for in the crease, as well! I have Stila's Diamond Lil, which looks similar (from your photos, at least). I'm so glad I'm not the only one who uses gray rather than dark brown in the crease :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anon, Unfortunately I no longer have the Soft Smoke Trio, so I can only give you my opinion based on memory. The darker shade in the trio was closest in tone, but it was matte and darker, more pigmented. Meteorite is dark in the pan, but color goes down in light layers, so you can control the level of smokiness. It also has a beautiful satin-sheen finish (not shimmer).

    I'd bet my lunch that the following bloggers have both and could give you a more accurate comparison: Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book, Charlestongirl at Best Things in Beauty, Amy at Cafe Makeup, and Gaia at The Non-Blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanie, yes dismal! I received it on a gloomy afternoon, opened the box in my north-facing room, which has extremely subdued light, and proclaimed it a dud. I am so glad I finally decided to try it on. sometimes the ugliest-appearing eyeshadows are the true winners!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larie, I first tried brown in 1987, hated how it made me look dirty, and never attempted to put brown eyeshadow anywhere near my face again until sometime within the last couple years when I suddenly got obsessed with taupe. I've finally accepted my fate and gone back to my grey roots. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. STUNNING shade! Taupes, and grays are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty shade. If I didn't have Hocus Pocus, I would definitely pick this up. I'm a sucker for taupes! Thanks for the beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats really pretty, I've been meaning to get Sel for ages now so will add Meteorite to the list as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vintage, Kristie, taupes have such a hold over us!

    Replica, Sel is gorgeous. Sel, Granite, Basalt, Coriander, and Meteorite are the real standouts for me in this line. And, of course, Perle. ;) And Quartz! And Peony! I'm sick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really is such a beautiful shade. I have been meaning to purchase this but I keep resisting for some reason. I just need to bite the bullet and get this and about 3546731 other shades from this line. :-) Thanks for the awesome review and pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent review and photos! The shade looks gorgeous in the pan and in your swatches. I don't think I actually own a grey shadow ( at least nothing as pretty as this!), so I may have to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.