Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ellis Faas Concealer S201



Ellis Faas Concealer ($40) in the S20x series is a liquid concealer that you dispense by clicking a pen that resembles a rocket launcher or a large bullet casing.

Photo source ellisfaas.com
The concealer is offered in eight colors and contains Karité oil (liquid shea butter), rice wax (an oil extracted from the rice bran that delivers antioxidants in a silky, non-sticky texture), and vitamins C and E for hydration and antioxidant protection. I can imagine this concealer working on all skin types, and the color selection is quite good, even for super pale-pink faces like mine.

Photo source ellisfaas.com
I get a pretty good match in the S201 color (the lightest), which is a neutral beige with yellow undertones to counteract blue shadows. Because of its liquidy-thin texture, the Ellis Faas concealer blends quickly and seamlessly into the skin with the lightest touch to provide a flawless finish.


I use S201 primarily under my eyes, but I also apply it to small areas of hyperpigmentation or redness around my face, and coverage (medium to full) is so good, I can skip foundation. (I don't like to cover my entire face with foundation, anyway, as if gives my face a flat, one-dimensional appearance.) I can even skip a setting powder, because Ellis Faas concealer dries to a silky, almost-powdery texture. My skin's texture still comes through because this concealer looks like skin.

Like many of you, I have tried dozens of concealers, liked them at first, and then quickly fell out of love. This concealer is so good I have just repurchased my second, and in the 18 months since I started using this product, all my other concealers are receding so far away from my thought that I finally threw most of them away.  If only the Ellis Faas concealer were offered in a fair color that contained a bit less yellow, I would be over the moon.

In the following photo, I applied the concealer straight from the pen, quite thickly, and then I blended a second stripe out, but not very well or it would have disappeared into my skin and there would have been little point in showing it! The S201 color is not a bad concealer for pink porcelain skins.


I like to pat the concealer in place using the pad of my ring finger, and then I smooth it out using just the tip of my Laura Mercier Finishing Eye Brush, which provides an almost airbrushed finish, smoothing over pores. The result is weightless on my skin, and coverage lasts about 10 hours. In that timeframe, there is no notable caking or settling into lines.



One application tip: Sometimes the silicone-like moisturizing properties leak out of the brush end when I  prime it—this happens most often with a new pen. To stop this from happening, shake the pen vigorously before each use. This issue seems to occur only with the concealer, as I have not experienced "leakage" with any other Ellis Faas pen, and the tiny bit of seepage occurs inside the cap. Never a messy purse mishap with these and virtually no waste. It's almost an insignificant nuisance but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Bottom line: One of the best concealers out there, and that's saying a lot given such a vast ocean of bitter disappointment.

All photos mine except for the one from the ellisfaas.com web site

16 comments:

  1. Wow! That is some serious praise. I wonder if S201 would work for super-pale yellow-toned skin?? (Think NC10.) Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, you must have a terrible time finding skin-toned cosmetics to match. I'm NW15, so I know what that is like. As far as matching NC10, I really cannot say, as it is possible that even the lightest color they offer could be too dark for you. If you are near a place that sells Ellis Faas, I'd suggest going in, but I am guessing you'd have to order online, sight unseen, like most of the rest of us. If you're US based, it might be worth calling the Ellis Faas counter at Bergdorf Goodman to see if they will send you a sample. I have also had good luck with Ellis Faas customer service sending me samples, but know they aren't fully quipped to do this--they have to decant product into a tiny plastic pot and send it from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant Ellis Faas customer service at ellisfaas.com (after the BG in NYC suggestion).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! You know what, I am so easily enabled, I'm just going to order it. I wasted as much on Touche Ehhhclat, after all. (Did you know shipping from ellisfaas.com is $1 right now???)

    ReplyDelete
  5. > Did you know shipping from ellisfaas.com is $1 right now?

    Yes! Hee! I was just going to race back here to tell you the same thing. :) I took advantage of their cheap shipping (though, to be fair, it's usually only around $4) and ordered L301 and L307, both of which I will review as soon as I can take some pictures on a day without rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful! It looks so yellow in the swatches but if you say it works I trust you! I just had the Ellis Faas website up last night thinking of trying the line. What do you suggest I try first?

    I'm actually on my second MUFE HD Concealer but it really isn't much coverage and is almost a touch too light which sounds crazy LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hesitant to recommend Ellis Faas products because there seem to be only two camps with the brand: those who love and those who hate. The very thing that makes them so cool (liquid makeup in a stunning pen) can also cause some people problems. I have had clicking problems in the past (mostly with the foam applicator) but not now. Still, there's a learning curve.

    If you really want to try, you might like Glazed Lips L303, which is a rosy glaze (pigmented lip gloss, in effect); Blush in S302, a peachy pink liquid blush that is so soft and delicate; Creamy Eyes in E107, a mid-toned brown with a whisper of grey.

    If you're really feeling daring, I'd say everyone needs to own at least one Ellis Red. L101 is the most pigmented and the most blue (a real blood red)with a satin or semi-matte finish; L201 is more creamy but every bit as pigmented, and it leans more into the true red camp. L301, the Glazed Lips version of Ellis Red is warmer, with definite orange undertones, sort of a tomato red--a very ripe tomato.

    I am fairly certain I have reviewed every one of those colors, except for L301. You can click the Ellis Faas label to look at swatches.

    Suffice it to say I love the brand. I have nearly a dozen of of the lip colors, one concealer, 4 blushes (one is actually a bronzer), and at least a half dozen of the eyeshadows. It is impossible for me to tire of this brand because the colors are so incredibly perfect if you find the ones that flatter you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! The click pen thing is what has held me back..well that and the price. ;-) I will research my first attempt thoroughly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried the Ellis Faas line yet, but that does sound like an excellent concealer. I also like the look of that Laura Mercier brush - I've been thinking of getting one that will give a nice "airbrushed" finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I definitely know what you mean about the "Vast ocean of bitter disappointment." Good concealers are so hard to find! I think I've given up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds awesome! My concealer never lasts that long :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you found such a great match. That's always a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I haven't tried Ellis Faas products but this sounds like a lovely product.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one terrific concealer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful thing to be happy with your concealer! I can only imagine the thrill. I guess I will have to bite the silver bullet sometime and try this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.