Sunday, August 14, 2011

Laura Mercier Shimmer Lip Colour in Amaretto


I don't normally wear lipstick with shimmer, but I could not stop myself from buying Laura Mercier's Shimmer Lip Colour in Amaretto ($22).

Amaretto is is described as a "mauvey-pink bronze," and I think Laura's marketing gurus nailed for the most part, but the description does not truly illustrate just how unique and complex this lipstick color is. Depending on the light, I see red, rose, taupe, gold, silver, sienna, plum, and definitely bronze. The shimmer is understated and I cannot feel it on my lips, but the added dimension helps my lips look more full.

Sometimes I dab a bit on my cheekbones and eyelids--I just wish it contained more plum than bronze, as it leans a little too closely to rust for my cool coloring.

This is a full-coverage lipstick, but the texture is incredibly silky, and lightweight. The fact that you can buy 4 grams for $22 makes it an outstanding value, especially when many of its competitors are far more costly and weigh in at 3.5 grams or less. This is lipstick that feels like skincare.

The following images show the lipstick and skin swatches in different lighting conditions, mostly direct and indirect sunlight, as well as indoors/natural light with no flash. Can you see the bronze and plum? I found it difficult to capture.


I have nothing to compare Amaretto to, as I generally buy sheer/clear reds, deep roses, and berry creams. Amaretto is what I'd hoped Le Metier de Beaute Gloss in Summerland would be like on me. Unfortunately, Summerland was a disappointment, and I prefer Amaretto in every way--color, texture, and the fact that when the color fades, I am not left with a mouth (or face) full of glitter.

When I blot Amaretto down to a stain, I see nothing but plum on the tissue, while what remains on my lips is a bronzed, gleaming almost-metallic finish (lips need to be in good shape or every flake will show). Since I want to keep those plum tones, I find that a lipstick brush is the best way to apply this lipstick to get the amount of pigment I want. Despite being a little outside my comfort zone with the hints of metallic bronze, I like how Amaretto looks on me, if only because I have nothing else like it, not even close.


Bottom line: Beautiful and unique. Get one.

All photos mine

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing this to our attention Zuzu.
    I was equally disappointed by Summerland (I have never worn it outside the house lol) and I'm eager to try this next time I'm at a Laura Mercier counter.
    Have a lovely Sunday :)
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love this shade too. Thank you for reminding me to pull it out of my stash and wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful shade- sort of a jazzed up neutral! I love the close up on the shimmers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amaretto is indeed a complex but beautiful shade. I see plum but also gold and a bit of brown? I will definitely check this out next time I stop at the Laura Mercier counter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen! I'm dying to try this now. I've been wondering about LM lipsticks for a while, but since I started with the eye shadows, I haven't moved on to other items yet. This has me ready to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, you MUST check out LM's reds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get one? OKAY! Stop twisting my arm, sheesh.

    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos, especially the close up shots of the beautiful shimmer! It really does look pretty in the tube and on you. I really must check out some LM lip colours soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that red with the pretty golden pearls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, have you bought it yet? Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nat, Laura Mercier has a wide range of colors, from nudes to reds. Maybe we luck out because of her own coloring, but there are plenty of deeply-pigmented lipsticks to choose from, and the textures are among the best out there. I think you would also like her rsds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ChiffonLaceLeather, thanks for visiting! Amaretto is one of those lipsticks where I wish I could attache a rear-view mirror to my head so I could ooh and aah over the pretty color all day, hee.

    Amaretto is complex and unique, but I don't find it one of those LOOK AT MY LIPS lipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really strange lipstick, something that's well worth the money! But like you, I'm usually not a huge fan of shimmery lipsticks.

    Thank you for the post! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, I know this is an older post but it still shows up on my RSS feed so I had to comment. OMG...I bought this lipstick based on this blog review and I AM LOVING IT. It like no other lipstick I have ever tried. The different colors are obvious yet meld together beautifully. It is gorgeous alone or with a complimentary gloss. Occasionally I feel a few grit particles but I dont mind because the effect is stunning. LOVE LOVE LOVE the color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suselew, I am thrilled that Amaretto worked for you--it's always a gamble buying items based on reviews when our skin tones and lip pigments are all so different. Thanks so much for coming back and letting me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is just gorgeous, exactly the kind of winter lipstick I love! Thanks for a wonderful review x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nic, thanks. If you decide to get it, I hope you review it too. I agree with Lady Makeup that this is such an odd duck, and it's one of the few shimmery lipsticks I own. Still liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. your pictures of the lipstick are great! this is such a pretty color!! this color can be worn in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.