Thursday, August 18, 2011

NARS Sheer Lipstick in Manhunt


NARS Manhunt ($24) is a sheer lipstick, which I prefer over the semi-matte, satin, and shimmer formulations, because it is not as drying. Manhunt is still not a particularly moist or glossy lipstick, but that's just the way NARS lipsticks are; the have good traction, so they last. I like the sheers because some deliver a bold shot of color while still being natural looking, letting my own lip pigment show through. The texture is soft and silky, and when it wears off it leaves a light stain behind.

Because the formulation is so sheer, I occasionally dot a tiny bit high on the apples of my cheeks and blend.

Described as poppy red, the color leans warm overall, but I find it can be a bit of a chameleon, so it really depends on your own lip pigment. Since my lips are medium mauve-rose, Manhunt appears as an almost watermelon color on me. It reminds me of that Kool-Aid red punch, which I can't believe is still on the market.


Without any adulteration, and in direct sunlight, you can see the orange undertones, which are not too strong. I also see pink, giving this lipstick an overall impression of being coral.

Direct sun
Natural light
Direct sun
Natural light
No scent and no shimmer, just coral shine. Because Manhunt is not too bold, it's a great lipstick to wear on a hot summer day.


Bottom line: Excellent quality and color—work having for coral lovers.

All photos mine

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I would not have guessed this glossy, sheer beauty from the tube! It's a gorgeous strawberry color. Good to hear it's non-drying, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Manhunt! I have been wearing it for the past month- it's perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love guerlain nahema for a similar look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is also a good color as a "red for beginners"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kool Aid, what a reference =P

    I had no idea from the tube that this would be a glossy strawberry pink. I guess appearances can be decieving! This was a helpful review as I've been looking for a sheer red lippie lately.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.