Monday, August 22, 2011

Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited BR 710


Like the ever-tempting taupe eyeshadow, I continue to search for the perfect, light MLLB lip shade, and I was hoping Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Lipstick BR 710 ($24) might be it. I ran into it in InStyle's Best Of awards, and BR 710 won for fair skin. I couldn't find any online reviews for it, so I took a chance, because the color looked so pretty and cool toned.

InStyle.com

The promise of a soft, muted brownish-pink seemed like a sure winner. I have plenty of clear red and medium-to-deep rose lipsticks, but the one that most  alludes me is the shade that's a notch above or below my natural lip pigment.


Packaging is lightweight but bulky. Call me silly, but I'd rather have a heavier lipstick that was much slimmer. At least in my own mind, heavy is synonymous with higher quality, perhaps because more materials go into the packaging. And speaking of packaging, I have never been a big fan of Shu Uemura's; I find the clear plastic to be cheap and flimsy, though to be fair, I have never had one shatter or even crack. It's the insides that count, right? And some of my all-time favorite eyeshadows are from this brand, colors I have been wearing for more than a decade (sadly, all discontinued by now).

When I first saw BR 710, I was encouraged. It looked cooler and deeper than some of the other supposed MLLB shades that ended up too pale or warm for me.

Sun
Indoors
Sun
Indoors
So I was rather disappointed when BR 710 settled into a slightly too-warm and too-light look on my lips.


The texture is very smooth and silky, and color lasts several hours without drying my lips. If you like nudes that border on pink, this might be just the one for you.

I was surprised at how meh it looked on my lips when I compared BR 710 to other nudey-pink lipsticks in my makeup kit.

Natural, indoor light, no flash
It looks so much cooler compared to Laura Mercier Sparkling Pink, less deep and shimmery than Edward Bess Forever Yours, slightly more pigmented and less shimmery than Bobbi Brown Rose Petal, less red and more pigmented than Chantecaille Tea Rose, and not at all like Prescriptives Rose Mystique, which really surprised me by how warm and red it looked on my hand.

I wish it appeared on my lips the way it does in photos and in the tube. I am perplexed that my lips, which have a lot of rose and mauve in them, warmed it up so.

Bottom line: Gorgeous finish and very moisturizing, but the color was a miss. For now I'll stick with what works, clear reds and roses.

12 comments:

  1. And naturally, it looks pretty to me-lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's disappointing. To be honest Shu's package has and will keep me from purchasing their lipstick. I dislike it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sounding really good, what a shame. I do like the look of that shade. I like the Shu lipstick formula, never been a fan of the plastic see through packaging though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, gorgeous color! I'm not a fan of the packaging though.. I feel it looks a bit cheap. Hoping you'll find your MLBB shade soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ammie, I knew you would like this. :)

    PP, the packaging isn't that bad! It does make choosing a lipstick color easy since you can see it from the outside.

    Replica, based on the lipstick colors you love, I could definitely see you wearing this.

    Vintage, thanks! I hope so, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my ultimate MLBB shade is guerlain rouge g gemma. Its a rosy pink mauve-y shade. (I'm very pale, cool toned with blonde hair and blue eyes)

    ReplyDelete
  7. baby, hmmm. I don't have any Guerlain G's only Automatique, but I will have to try Gemma. It sounds like we have very similar coloring, though my hair is dark ash blonde/light ash brown. I think it's brown, but my hairdresser insists I am a blonde. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about Shiseido Venetian Rose Perfect Rouge? It's slightly too cool on my skin, and too pale for a MLBB, but on you it might be just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Li, thank you for the suggestion. I just did some quick research, and it sounds like an ideal color for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always had problems with Shu's lipstick not being the color or even close to what is in the tube. Even nude colors turned warm and peach on me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very pretty on you, but I see where it isn't a MLBB color for you. Unfortunate, that. I've been searching for the perfect MLBB lipstick for years, and have just about given up. Every time I try one it's a disappointment, and I end up running back to my reds and deep berries.

    Given that we seem to have identical taste in lipsticks, I can't wait for you to find the perfect one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so funny as I love the packaging. Ok, it's not my favorite, but I do like it and I like that I can see the colour through it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.