Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sponge Worthy? The Beautyblender Sponge


The Beautyblender sponge is one of those highly-popular cult items I managed to avoid for a long time.It looks lurid, costs a ridiculous $20, and is yet another item to add to the clutter of my vanity. But I finally succumbed to my curiosity and, let me tell  you, the hype is real.

I have oily skin, which means my skin has virtually no lines or wrinkles, but it also means my pores have become larger and more visible with age. For the last 10 years, I had stopped using liquid foundation because, no matter what the brand, by midday, I'd get little beige pools of yuck in my pores.

I don't know what is so different about the Beautyblender application over my fingers or a foundation brush or a latex cosmetic wedge, but this little teardrop does an outstanding job of finishing the look of liquid or cream foundation, blush, and concealer.

I instantly get an airbrushed finish with no visible pores, and my pores stay clean and empty all day! Finally, I can wear liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer or BB Cream and have it look like my skin.

It's so simple to use. Just wet the sponge thoroughly until it doubles in size and squeeze dry. Squeeze again. It is important to squeeze the sponge into something absorbent because you want it barely damp. For the first month of use, I did the final squeeze into a paper towel because it bled pink for a while, and I didn't want the dye to ruin my nice towels. Another tip is to squeeze using your whole hand--you want to avoid poking our thumb into it, which could tear the sponge.

After I finish smoothing out my foundation, I wet the Beautyblender thoroughly, lightly rub the end I used over a bar of soap and then squeeze and press my fingers into it to distribute the soap. You need a lot less soap than you think, so be careful here or you will spend many minutes rinsing and squeezing out the bubbles. After rinsing, I store the sponge in a tiny ceramic bowl to keep it sanitary and let it dry. I usually dry it bottom up.

Here's the official video on how to use and clean the BeautyBlender Sponge.





Photo credit Sephora

1 comment:

  1. I've tried all the pretenders and none compare. Even though the BB sponge is expensive, don't waste your money on the ones at Sephora, Target or even MAC. The Beauty Blender is softer and just works better. It's one of my HG items.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.