Friday, September 30, 2011

Besame Cosmetics: Classic Beauty -- the History of Makeup


Gabriela Hernandez, the founder and CEO of Besame Cosmetics, has just published her first book. Called Classic Beauty: The History of Makeup ($49.99), I knew she had been working on a book, but I had no idea what it would be about, and I still know only what the PR writeup says because the "look inside" feature on Amazon.com is disabled, and there are no reviews yet.

That didn't stop me. I ordered a copy straight away after I read this little blurb on the page:
This colorful reference book chronicles historic trends for the eyes, lips, and face, and offers in-depth aesthetic reviews of each decade from the 1920s to today. Follow the rich history of facial trends through fascinating and bizarre vintage ads; detailed makeup application guides; and profiles of famous makeup innovators, connoisseurs, and iconic faces. Over 430 images, timelines, and detailed vintage color palettes show the changing definitions of beauty and document makeup innovations (the first mascara, lipstick, eye shadow, etc.) that have evolved throughout the history of cosmetics.
So excited! This first edition is bound in hardcover, so it will be the perfect book to have laying around for inspiration.


I love every bit of makeup I have tried from her brand (though some colors did not work for me), and I admire her aesthetic.  I hope this means more exposure for her brand and that she will be expanding her range of products and colors.

There are not many blog reviews on this indie brand, which is rather unfortunate. The lipsticks are outstanding, and if you like red lipstick, you must check out hers--you can even buy a sample set of six (mentioned here).

If you're interested, you can click my BESAME label and read what I've had to say. In particular, Red Velvet and Dusty Rose are my very favorites (reviewed here), but I have the full line of red lipsticks and really should get around to reviewing them all.

I am not affiliated with this brand, and I have purchased all Besame products with my own money. I am just excited because I think it is an extremely high-quality line.

Have you tried Besame Cosmetics? 

Image source: B&N and Besame

7 comments:

  1. Besame falls into the category of "Me in an Alternate Universe." I love the packaging, in all its red-and-gold wee-ness. I love the concept (well, I love that it HAS a definite concept). I've owned lipsticks, powder, rouge and gloss from her. I put a depotted Laura Mercier concealer into an empty rouge compact, I love the container so much. I still have a lipstick in Chocolate Kiss somewhere.

    But my vision of myself is more Becca or Hakansson -- me, invisibly better -- and so Besame is something I sigh over but probably won't re-buy.

    Note the "probably."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did note the "probably." I raise your probably and say "possibly!" :D

    "red-and-gold wee-ness," lol. You do know that they started making grown-up sized lipsticks in the Classics collection, yes? I feel a little sad. I loved the tiny tubes that were no bigger than a bullet.

    I use my empty rouge pot as a pill and vitamin container!

    I know exactly what you mean about the color, though. Her aesthetic is very retro and glamorous, and Red Velvet is about the only red lipstick I can pull off anymore. Dusty Rose is HG for me, though. I imagine I'll get another couple years use before I find even that one too dark.

    I still look forward to reading the book. I love reading about makeup through the ages and can't wait to feast my eyes on the glamor icons from the past, even in our century. Oh, wait, we're in a different century now, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made my first order. I'm a mascara/powder girl, so ordered those, plus
    the sample set of lipsticks... I have never been able to pull off red, but it hasn't stopped me from looking:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schelli I hope you find a red that wows you. I haven't tried the Besame mascara or eyeshadow (they are a bit too warm for me), but everything else has been love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of Besame (horror) but the book sounds fascinating! I love hearing about how the ancients began these trends that we don't even think twice about now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I can't use some of Besame's products because of fragrance, the ones I do use are so classic and beautiful. I'm sure the book will be gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite late here, but I'd love a review of the book if you have the time. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.