Saturday, September 10, 2011

Rouge Bunny Rouge Feline Gaze Long-lasting Eye Pencil in Calypso -- Review and Swatches


This review is for the newly released Rouge Bunny Rouge Feline Gaze Long-lasting Eye Pencil in Calypso ($35, 3g).

The eyeliners contain natural antioxidants (Vitamin E), Theobroma Grandiflorum seed butter and Argan oil to nourish and sooth delicate eye tissue. The botanicals also help the eyeliner glide on very smoothly. The texture does not have as much slip as Urban Decay 24/7 pencils--it's more what I am used to with the Chanel Stylo Yeux waterproof pencils. The non-business end does not have a removable cap with a built-in sharpener, which is not an issue for me.

The eyeliner is housed in a plastic retractable pen that has a twist mechanism to dispense the color.


There are currently three colors available:
  • Salome - Matte intense black 
  • Lola - Metallic dark brown, with light copper reflections
  • Calypso - Jet black base with silver and aqua blue reflections 
I think Calypso is just about the prettiest black eyeliner I have ever seen.


The silver-aqua shimmer is subtle until you see it in full sun.


In shade, the shimmer recedes into a sooty cool black.



Perhaps this was just the pen I received, but when I twisted it to bring enough of the color out for photo taking, I was unable to get the eyeliner to retract, so be careful the first time you use it and make sure you don't twist out too much product before you verify you can bring it back in again.

UPDATE: The ever-observant Modesty Brown has just informed me that it's written on the box: "non-retractable twist mechanism."

This eyeliner is densely pigmented, and true to its name, it is extremely long lasting. A single application at 8AM lasted until I showered at 11PM. I bet it would have been there the next morning if I had not washed my face.

Once this sets, it sets so work quickly. Don't be fumbling around for your smudge brush--have it ready. The photo below shows my attempt to rub off the color with a tissue. I rubbed over that swatch, firmly, at least 10 times, and this is what was left. Not even the shimmers migrated, and that is impressive because it means I can probably tightline with it, though I have not tried that yet.


Although long wearing, the swatch came off the back of my hand without too much effort using soap. On my eyes, I have used both Bioderma Crealine Micellar Cleanser on cotton pad and also Boscia Makeup Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil, which I just swirled around on my lids with my fingertips at the last minute. Any basic eye makeup remover should do.

Bottom line: A nice one to try if you like black with shimmer.


This item was sent to me for consideration
All photos mine

12 comments:

  1. Sold! That sounds great, I'll have to get one of these when I next do a Zuneta order x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in Lola and I can't wait to try it out. It sounds like the staying power is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I love the shimmer in the grey background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review! I agree with every word, right down down to the fact that my Lola does not retract either. Fortunately, no damage was done, but it's definitely worth knowing.
    Another huge plus for me is the fact that, although extremely long-lasting, I can take this off thoroughly and with the minimum effort. That is something that cannot be said of every long-lasting liner out there.
    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nina, thanks for the usability info! If you don't mind, I will tweak my post in case someone new comes along to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just spotted on the box that it is labelled as a "non-retractable twist mechanism". So, it's definitely all of them. Ah, the things you spot when taking photos on Macro! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good eyes, Jane!! I Hope you don't mind; I am going to amend my post in case anyone else can learn from your sleuthing.

    I'm wearing it today, to work, and it really is work appropriate, sparkles and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing and is going on my list for my next Zuneta haul! Thanks for the wonderful review! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I have never heard of Rouge Bunny! Thank you for the review, I'm going to have to check it out now :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.