Wednesday, October 26, 2011

NARS Lipgloss in Bad Education


How can something so murky in the tube, a color that resembles a creamed tomato sauce, be so clear and gorgeous on the lips?

NARS Lip Gloss in Bad Education ($24) is described as a sheer crimson red. My bluish lips turn it into a blue-based berry red that rivals Ellis Faas Lip Glaze L303, which is a hint more pigmented and has a nicer texture. The NARS gloss is sheer enough to wear as a daytime red, it's moisturizing, it doesn't migrate or smear or tingle or sparkle. It's just sheer, shiny red goodness with a very smooth, gel-like texture.


The tube has a doefoot applicator and at first smells a little plasticky, which dissipates quickly. The color does not fade overly fast for a non-sticky gloss; I'd say it stays put for a solid hour, which is decent. Best of all, the product does not leak, and leakage (whether oily or pigmented) is a total dealbreaker for any lip gloss.


There is the barest whisper of gold shimmer, but that only comes out in direct sunlight.


The only thing that keeps me from giving this item a rave review is that if I wear it the way I would wear lipstick all day, the corners of my mouth become irritated. I guess that, deep down, I am (and always will be) a lipstick girl, not a lip gloss girl. The other negative is NARS is no longer claiming to sell gluten-free products.

Bottom line: Very good sheer, daytime red--especially for the red phobic.

All photos mine, except for the last one, which is from narscosmetics.com.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mercedes! Now that you mention it, it would be a great color to wear to a holiday party. It would work for me year round because it's sheer, but that pretty bit of golden shimmer dresses it up nicely for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty color! I haven't tried this one, but it looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often been confused by the look of NARS gloss on the outside vs. swatch vs. on the lips. I don't have this one but now you're making me curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the colors NARS puts out but the lip products always go rancid so quickly for me. Maybe, it is me but I don't do anything different on storage from my other products. NARS lip products and me = no relationship. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makeup Magpie, I bet Bad Education would look lovely against your complexion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, it's not just the lip gloss! Sometimes NARS lipstick doesn't look anything on my lips like it does in the tube. I wonder if they "frost" the lip gloss tube to make it less susceptible to changes from light, like beer bottles, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olivia, now that you mention it ... I have several lipsticks from other brands that are about 3 years old. I know, yuck, but they still feel and smell fine, even though I just grossed myself out and will toss them the minute I get home and replace them with new ones. All my NARS lipsticks had to hit the bin by their one-year anniversary. I also read that the plastic smell is because they don't use fragrance, so maybe they're using few preservatives.

    Then again, if you look at most of NARS products' ratings in the EWG skindeep database (if you believe in that), they rank really high on the toxic load. Most of them are above 7 (on a scale of 1-10).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear! Your blog is amazing!
    I am a new follower!

    I would be very honored to have you in my followers!

    I invite you to join my giveaway:
    http://www.nuvoledibellezza.com/2011/08/giveaway-nuvole-di-bellezza-09-agosto.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! This is one of my favorite glosses.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.