Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cindy Joseph and her BOOMSTICK Trio

If you've never heard of Cindy Joseph, I'd bet you'd recognize her. When I first saw her photo, I instantly recognized her as one of my favorite J. Crew models from several years back.

You can read Cindy's bio on her web site, but in a nutshell, she's a former professional makeup artist with over 25 years experience who became a model at age 48 for Dolce & Gabanna. That's not something you read about every day, when 35 seems to be retirement age for most models.

She embraces a look I have always admired: natural and healthy. Crisp, face-brightening shirt, loose, carefree hair, and little makeup other than a radiant glow with a spot of color on lips and cheeks. That, along with a genuine smile, and any woman can be transformed. She looks like a lot my friends' mothers, back when I grew up on the shore. Low maintenance, little fuss, beautiful.

Wanting to try something different recently, I became curious about her small line of skincare-as-makeup line. I had heard about her products, but I tend to shy away from products that claim to be universally flattering. My curiosity finally overcame my resistance and I bought the BOOMSTICK Trio ($68) in COLOR, GLIMMER, and GLO, which arrived nestled in a silver mesh pouch.



According to Cindy's website and the packaging of this product, her motto is to keep it simple. And with just three little items, you certainly can.




The tubes are compact (0.28oz), portable, lightweight plastic. Each comes with an inner cap to prevent the contents from drying out.


Each tube is the length of my pinkie and a little thicker than my thumb
Protective cap


COLOR

The first one I tried, BOOMSTICK COLOR, is a translucent rosy-red cream/gel with a plummy-brown undertone.





COLOR is meant to be worn on cheeks, eyes, lips, neck and forehead, so that is where I put it, and I have to admit I was impressed. The texture is very silky and blends effortlessly, and it gave me a healthy glow that I have always tried to get from bronzer but never could because bronzers are brown and so they do not suit my pink-porcelain skin. I especially liked putting COLOR on my upper eyelids.

Once applied, the texture remains somewhat dewy, but it's not sticky or greasy. In other words, a strong wind on a city street won't cause sidewalk grit to stick to my face.

As for the lips, I can't say COLOR is my favorite lipstick color (I look best in brighter, more clear and more blue-based colors), but if my face is naked and I want a quick burst of vitality, adding a bit of COLOR would be hard to beat, especially for convenience. The color reminds me of Laura Mercier's Crème Lip Colour in Bing Cherry, only much less pigmented.
 



Here's a video of Cindy showing how she applies BOOMSTICK COLOR.




GLIMMER

The second item from the trio, BOOMSTICK GLIMMER, took me by surprise. I was expecting something clear or at least very light, along the lines of Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl, but GLIMMER is a pearlescent pink-champagne beige. I think it might be similar to Becca's SSP in Opal, but I don't own Opal for a comparison swatch.




I was unsure if the coppery color would complement my cool-toned skin, but it melted right in and looked quite natural, the way youthful, natural oils from the skin create a dewy glow on a sultry summer evening. GLIMMER is the color of candlelight, but not as yellow as Edward Bess Sunlight.

Unlike other cream-based highlighters, GLIMMER did not highlight my pores. I took a good look at my face in direct sunlight and saw that GLIMMER would be appropriate to wear during the day, even to a conservative office or to your daughter's field hockey game. I tried GLIMMER on the movable eyelids, brow bone, cheekbones, cupid's bow, and my clavicles, and I liked the luminous glow it provided. Now that my skin is older and less oily, adding back a bit of glow can take years off (at least that's what I tell myself). Nothing ages more quickly than flat, matte skin, and GLIMMER provides dewiness without looking greasy or causing Frankenpores.

Here are COLOR and GLIMMER swatched together on the back of my (NW15-20) hand:




Both colors complement my fair, cool skin fairly well, though I suspect they are ideal for skin tones that are neutral leaning warm or cool, more than we straight-up cool-toned people. If you want to see how they look on other color skins, see Cindy Joseph's home page for a Flash montage of faces of all ages and races wearing her BOOMSTICK products.

Here's Cindy again, giving a demo on GLIMMER.




GLO

The final item in the trio, BOOMSTICK GLO, is a clear, 100% organic moisturizer without sunscreen. It contains honey, olive oil, and beeswax to protect skin from the elements. It's quite rich, so I would not apply this directly to my face, not during the day, anyway, but I liked applying it under my eyes, and it makes a luxurious lip balm. I rubbed a bit onto my fingertip and then transferred the warm oil to my cuticles and elbows. If I weren't being sparing, I'd consider using it on my heels. The texture reminds me of Badger Balm, which I have been using on lips and body since 2002.

source



Here's Cindy showing us how to use GLO.




All three products feel comfortable and weightless on the skin, and the two color items wore fairly well throughout the day. Oilier skins would probably need more frequent touch-ups. I only touched them up after five hours because I wanted to see if I could overdo it; the answer is yes to both COLOR and GLIMMER, but no one in her right mind would layer it on the way I did to test).

COLOR was all I wore on my lips all day. My lips felt nourished and smooth the whole time, and the color on my lips lasted until lunch, leaving behind a plummy stain. The swatch lasted on the back of my hand until I washed it off before bed.

This post is long enough already, so click the following links to get more information, including ingredients. I have no control over whether the links change after this review goes up, but it shouldn't be hard to find, as she's very forthcoming and wants her customers to know how natural her products are.
Cindy will soon be introducing BOOMSILK, a face and body moisturizer that uses the same ingredients as her GLO stick. It will available for purchase on her web site on November 25, 2011.





Bottom line: You don't have to be over 40 to enjoy these products.

All photos mine except the first and last, and the Badger Balm


Oh, one more important thing about Boomstick!


13 comments:

  1. I love the Color and Glimmer; I haven't tried the Glo yet. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. The last part made me laugh :D You always have such interesting items! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! You get a gazillion bonus points for the Bruce reference. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Cindy isn't somehow directed to this post, lol!

    Ammie, GLO is really nice. This morning DH and I had back-to-back hair appointments with our hair stylist almost an hour away. We overslept, so I brushed my teeth, ran a comb through my hair, splashed warm water on my face and was out the door in less than 15 minutes from bolting out of bed. I had my BOOMSTICK trio in my makeup bag, and I was able to make myself look pretty darned presentable with just a few swipes of the tubes while riding in the car.

    Seven hour later, and the 'makeup' is still in place, and that's after a couple hours outside, raking leaves (in the wind, which, as it turns out, was pretty stupid).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this brand, but I love the way COLOR looks on your lips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the look of the colour and glimmer sticks, looks like it only going to be sold over there but I'll make a note of the name should it make its way over here. Thanks for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL@Army of Darkness! Love that movie! Anyway, I saw this on shopnbc.com and wasn't sure of it. Will make a note to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting!! She looks amazing - only her hair is a giveaway as to her age. Perhaps once I've downsized my stash, Color and Glimmer can come over and play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review of all three products!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome review! And it's good to know that Boom Stick and Glimmer both work on cool-toned skin. It can be hard to tell otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not very happy with the "plummy stain" in your lips after the lipstick faded away... I had lipsticks that leave a stain. What I wonder about the moisturiser is that it might be very natural, etc, but what about wrinkle prevention. OK, I know there is nothing that sill stop wrinkles, but certain products can slow them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame that the Color stick faded into an unattractive stain on you--I know many of us had high hopes for this trio, and Cindy certainly looks amazing with it on.

      As for the Glo stick, it really doesn't do much improve the appearance of skin imperfections. It feels soothing, absolutely wonderful, but it's based in oil, so if anything, it highlights imperfections by adding shine on top.

      The best OTC product I have ever used for improving the appearance of my skin is Baltic Collagen, which costs about $50 a month but you don't really need to use anything else (e.g., I threw out all my treatments and serums and sunscreen is in my foundation). I found that BC gave incremental improvements, which were lasting, but like anything that isn't a permanent, structural change, the improvements lasted only so long and I had to resume using it ... which wasn't a bad thing.

      I could very well be wrong, but the only product I know of that actually reverses the severity of wrinkles is tretinoin, but my derm told me that once I stopped using it, the improvements would diminish and my skin would eventually revert to its state before I had started using the product. :(

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.