Tuesday, November 22, 2011

NARS Sheer Lipstick in Flamenco


I don't know why I ignored NARS lipsticks for so long, but this past summer I started buying them again, and am I glad!  

NARS Flamenco ($24) comes in the sheer formula, and even though NARS makes gorgeous shades in semi-matte, satin, and shimmer formulations, I prefer sheer because it feels like treatment and isn't  drying at all. But what I most love about his sheers is how I can buy a bold-looking red, like Flamenco (or bright coral-watermelon, like Manhunt) and it manages to stay natural looking, letting my own lip pigment show through. The texture is soft and silky, and when it wears off it leaves behind a light cherry stain.

NARS is quite good at describing colors, and Flamenco is no different. Described as sheer candy apple red, I see a cool-neutral blue red that does not turn fuchsia on my lips. The photo on the NARS web site makes Flamenco look a little warmer than it is.


 Aside from the yucky plastic smell of the packaging, this lipstick is unscented and contains no shimmer, just a clear, sheer red shine. Flamenco is great for day or evening, all year round.


Swatched on NW15 skin in natural light near a window:


On my mauvish lips:


Swatched on white tissue paper to remove any undertones:


And here's Flamenco compared to some NARS rose/reds and my other favorite red lipstick, Laura Mercier Gel Lip Colour in Sweet Cherry:


Bottom line:  A super pretty, comfortable red that I wear often.

All photos mine, except for the first one

12 comments:

  1. Wow, you really love your reds! I passed the NARS counter the other day and thought of you, actually. :) Everyone's showcasing beautiful lipsticks lately... not helping with my lippie ban!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO love reds, but not too va-va-voom, if you know what I mean. I really, truly have tried pinks and bronzes and corals, but they don't look good on me, so I will stick with roses and reds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! :) I like that it is sheer and looks very wearable and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I need to check this one out asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a sheer red. I forget NARS makes them since I always focus on their more pigmented options. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makeup Magpie, thanks. :) I used to wear more pigmented reds, but ever year I go a bit more sheer. As much as I love a killah red mouth, I have almost no upper lip so deeply-pigmented colors make me look older and severe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, thanks! If you like reds, this is definitely one to check out. I should to a red lipstick post with comparisons, since red seems to be only one of two colors I ever seem to wear on my lips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BelleBelle, thank you very much. I used to wear only NARS' other formulas (Kink and Mongolian Red used to be favorites), especially over Amazon lip pencil--a nice cool brick red, but I discovered the sheer formula when I bought my first NARS red--Gipsy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks gorgeous - I came so close to buying LM Sweet Cherry and wish I had on seeing your swatch!

    Nic x
    ps miss seeing you around lately - hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nic, thanks! Laura Mercier Sweet Cherry is my all-tine favorite red. It's so beautiful and feels heavenly on the lips.

    I have missed blogging as often and making the rounds,but I have been so busy. Unfortunately, I don't see that letting up much before the end of January, when my deadline occurs. But spring is just around the corner, right??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you like it. I know you love LM Sweet Cherry and they are in the same family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, which means I don't need two, right Marcia? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.