Monday, November 14, 2011

NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil Baroque


NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil ($24) in Baroque is described as "raspberry sorbet," and I'd say that's a good description, as it's a little more blue than my cherry red lip products. Baroque contains silver microshimmers.


For some reason I couldn't capture a good closeup, so I have included a picture from the NARS web site.

The pencils are thick but short, about four inches long, so they are easy to carry. There's 0.09 ounces of product inside the casing, so these won't be the longest lasting, but the texture really is superb. I have always liked NARS lip color offerings, but some of his lipsticks are really drying so I have stuck with the sheer formula lipsticks. The Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil was a welcome addition. It goes on glossy, smooth, and shiny and feels very lightweight. One application lasts 3 hours on me and fades from the center of my mouth outward. Baroque leaves behind a berry stain.

Because the formula is so soft, consider buying a dedicated NARS sharpener. I already had one for my NARS Glitter Pencil, but I wouldn't recommend sharing the shapener between NARS' fat pencils because the Gloss stick leaves behind some glossy goo. It would have been nice if they'd included a sharpened. I'd happily have paid an extra dollar for the convenience. Resharpening was necessary after 4-5 uses, which comes out to about once a day.



I thought Baroque was similar to some other NARS red lip products, so I swatched them. As it turns out Baroque is more blue than Flamenco and Bad Education, as well as Laura Mercier Sweet Cherry.



The Velvet Gloss formula contains moisture-rich hyaluronic spheres, which can help lips appear more full. I think it made my bottom lip look quite fat, indeed. I didn't notice the NARS-typical burnt-plastic smell when I applied Baroque, but I did notice it when I sharpened the pencil, so I suspect the stench is off gassing from the plastic casings.


Baroque is a sheer look on me, not dramatic, but my lips are already somewhat pigmented. Here you can see the cool raspberry color without any underlying pigment getting in the way.


Bottom line: A lovely lip gloss for a gloss haters (me!). I am going to try New Lover next, a gold-infused strawberry pink

All photos mine except for the two with the narscosmetics.com watermark.

5 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous on you! :) I'm not overly fond of glosses either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vinty! This one almost has me convinced it's a lipstick, and it's not goopy on the lips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I hate sharpening chubby lip pencils because of the goo it leaves behind on the sharpener and the waste of product. I am hoping NARS will change to the retractable type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia, that's a good point. There is a lot of waste. I guess I won't be buying New Lover, after all, though if you know of a nice, neutral strawberry red ... what about Julie Hewett Gem Noir. That's one of the only colors in her Noir line that I did not try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should probably add this to my mini collection, I love the gloss pencils and this one looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.