Saturday, December 3, 2011

What's in Zuzu's Bag?

On any given day, I lug a lot around in my tote: laptop, lunch, iPhone, camera, Kindle, digital recorder, sunglasses, Moleskine notebook. I also don't go anywhere without my makeup bag, but it tends to hold just the basics, and some items aren't even makeup!

So I am afraid you might be disappointed, especially compared to all the other excellent, interesting, overstuffed makeup bags out there, filled with dozens of lip glosses and surprises galore. Because makeup is so long wearing these days (and my skin is less oily) I find the only real thing I tough up during the day is my lips, maybe take the shine off my nose and comb my hair. Therefore, I have become a minimalist when it comes to what I lug around with me.

So without further ado, here it is, emptied out but neatened up for your snooping pleasure:


Seriously, that's it. And what's even more silly, I swap out my lip product every night, so I don't generally accumulate multiples and never more than two.

In my bag right now:
  • Mason Pearson comb. Just a basic, pocked-sized comb for my fine, short bob.
  • Jane Iredale PurePressed base. My favorite foundation powder ever.
  • Rouge Bunny Rouge Kiss Elixir lip balm. A lovely balm that doubles as clear gloss. 
  • A tin of Nivea cream for my ever-dry hands. 
  • Shiseido Pureness blotting papers.
  • Bobbi Brown Long-wear Cream Eyeshadow in Sand Dollar.   
  • Sephora by OPI cuticle oil. 
  • Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon--good for lips and cheeks.
  • Chantecaille Hydra Chic Lipstick in Water Lily. 
  • Becca lip brush. 
  • YSL mascara ini.
  • A baggie containing a hair elastic, thumb drive, thingambob to access the company VPN, a Bobbi Brown double-ended travel brush (blending/concealer), sunscreen packet, and hiding in the back is a wee pantiliner--just in case. 
  • KIND's dark chocolate cherry cashew antioxidant bar (my crack cocaine).
Carry on.

20 comments:

  1. just found your blog from the beauty round up -- it's brilliant! new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you have it pared down. The one thing I'm going to buy is the Kind bar. I just discovered those and chocolate cherry is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selection, I like the idea of using the lipstick on the cheeks, mind you I'd probably break out. I have to say my eyes homed in on the food bar, guess I'll take that as a sign that I need to go eat something...maybe of the chocolate variety... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Procrastinator, thanks and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcia, the chocolate cherry is sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replica, Kind bars are EVIL. There are so many, but my favorites are the Fruit & Nut, the Macadamia Apricot, and of course, the Chocolate Cherry Cashew. I buy them with 'subscribe and save' on Amazon. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so they come in very handy around 10:00 when I get to work and start thinking about my second cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just like Replica and immediately homed in on the Kind bar! It sounds delicious. I love the carefully edited selection of items you carry around with you. I tend not to take too much makeup out of the house either. I rarely get to carry my handbag so everything gets stashed in the pushchair. How very glam!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, but Jane, you could stow a lot of loot in the pushchair! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried those bars, but I will now. :) I am a minimalist as well, only carrying powder, lip balm, and a hair tie in my makeup bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the expression "neatened up for your snooping pleasure."

    Also, love Kind bars, particularly "Fruit Nut Delight" What day cannot be brightened with something called "Fruit Nut Delight." The name alone is a pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. K, Fruit Nut Delight is my non-chocolate version favorite! I have at least two boxes in my house right now. Yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops, hit Post too quickly. I meant to add that Kind's Macadamia Apricot is heaven sent, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've inspired me to pare down my bag. Will be easier on the shoulders too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where is the makeup bag from please?? It's gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do the same thing with lipsticks - only the lipstick of the day in there :D

    That bar looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ava, well .... my tote's still pretty heavy! Mybe I should do a what's in my tote post. Nah, that would take too long. ;) At least my makeup isn't adding to my shoulder problems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous, the makeup bag was a GWP from dermstore.com. I don't even remember the event--it just showed up with one of my orders several months ago. I think they have a VIB service similar to Sephora, which is probably how I ended up with it. Sorry, I wish I could point to a link where you could buy one.

    I searched for their own very small offerings at http://www.dermstore.com/long_DermStore_500520.htm, but no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grace, much of the time, I carry my lipstick in my pocket! I like how the warmth of my body makes the color glide right on--especially Chantecaille Lip Chics. They get so nice and glossy right out of the tube that way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very neat beauty bag so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the idea of keeping a few things in a little plastic bag, might try that with my own bag.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.