Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rouge Bunny Rouge Matte Eyeshadow: Grey Go-away Lourie and Blackpepper Jay

promo picture from Zuneta

I thought it time I reviewed the Rouge Bunny Rouge Long-lasting Matt Eyeshadows, which I have had since last May.



Grey Go-away Lourie is a mid-toned slate grey. No blue or brown undertones, just grey. I like this because it means whatever pigment already exists in eyelids will transform this color into the most appropriate grey for you. Like a mood ring! If your lids are lilac, the way mine used to be, GGaL will appear as a blue grey. If your lids have taken on that teabag tint that comes with age/sun damage, GGaL will appear more taupe. In the pan, the color reminds me a little of wet cement, but it's the prettiest cement I have ever seen.


Blackpepper Jay is a deep, sooty, charcoal brown, which, no matter how many pictures I took, I could not capture the rich depth (and is the reason why I included the promo shot). BpJ is slightly too intense for me to use as a crease color, but I like it very lightly applied to the outer third of my lid to deepen and add complexity to other shadows. It also makes a nice liner, but because these shadows are so incredibly blendable, they can move around a bit, so to stay put as liner, I need to use an aid, such as Paula Dorf Transformer.


I have already lauded the quality and formula in my other RBR eyeshadow posts. Rouge Bunny Rouge does an outstanding job with mattes. They feel so buttery, it's hard to believe they are powder. Rich and superfatted, it's easy to swipe a swath onto lids with a fingertip. But since I want these to last, I treat the pans with care, typically using the Shu Uemura #10 Natural brush, if I am applying on the movable lids, or the Hakuhodo S133, if I am applying to the crease.

If you have dry skin, don't write these mattes off just yet. I am certain this formula can be worn by dry and oily skins alike, though oilier lids might prefer to use a primer. As for older skin, the finish of the matte formula is so velvety it never looks dry, dusty, chalky, or crepey. My only regret is that there are but four colors--all neutral staples--and only two that flatter my coloring. So far.




Bottom line: Best in class. Excellent basic colors that should become classics for many.

All photos mine except (1) from RBR/Zuneta

17 comments:

  1. Grey Go-Away Lourie sounds amazing to me!! I have yet to try a RBR product. I am slowly building a list of what to try out and this one is going on there right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, if it helps, I think Zuneta's 20% off code (ELLE20) works until the end of February.

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant, well-written review!

    I find the way you 'see' colour especially fascinating -- it makes me want to run around swatching Lourie on various strangers with interestingly-toned lids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reviews! I love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ammie. I can't remember if you have either of these. This morning I have Solstice Halcyon on one eye and Delicate Hummingbird on the other, and so far no one has noticed.

      Delete
  4. It's funny that you mentioned how impossible it is to capture Blackpepper Jay properly. It's something about the finish or maybe even the formula as both myself and Marcia found it came out more lighter when photographed. Of course you're tempting me with tantalising talk of Grey Go Away Lourie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BpJ is an elusive little bugger! I'm curious, now that you've had it so much longer than I, how you are wearing it. Given your fair skin do you find it a challenge to wear in the crease?

      As for GGaL, it doesn't seem like an essential eyeshadow unless you love greys. (I do!) What makes it different from similarly-colored eyeshadows in my "collection" is that it's just plain grey. MAC Copperplate has the same value, but it is more muted; Shu Uemura 943 contains blue; Bobbi Brown Grey is not grey, it's brown! Chantecaille Agate has lavender undertones, Nickel has silver-blue, and Zinc is charcoal with brown and much darker in value; Urban Decay Revolver is lighter, and less saturated, bordering on silver; Becca Chinchilla is also lighter and not a true matte, and Chantilly has the same light value with whispers of dusty lavender; Prescriptives Pewter is slightly muted with cool brown; Edward Bess Dusk is grey liberally laced with moss (and not matte and much darker); Chanel Slate is a brown taupe; Laura Mercier Twilight Grey has violet-plum undertones and is extremely dark and pigmented.

      So! Even though GGaL is a somewhat boring staple, it is completely unique among my greys. I should really do some comparisons the next time the light is good.

      Delete
  5. Hadn't consider this line in the RBR collection. However, your review combined with my experience of the brand now makes me REALLY want one of these. Particularly the Blackpepper Jay. Thanks as always for an informative, inspiring and entertaining review of my favorite cosmetic brand.

    http://trainreck22.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both beautiful! I've never tried RBR, but thanks to you and some other bloggers I'm becoming more familiar with the colors. When you wear these colors, do they have a slight greenish tinge? I noticed in your swatch they leaned very slightly that way--- although it could just be a difference in computer monitor settings! I'm curious since you mentioned they are different depending on your skin tone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dovey no green whatsoever. Blame my photography skills, which have improved a bit since I took the above photos in May and thought I needed a light box. I can tell by the color of my skin that I took that photo near incandescent lighting, which warms up everything in its path. Kate's swatch of Lourie is very true to life.

      But now that you mention green, I do wonder what Grey Go-away Lourie would look like on olive skin tones--I should think the grey tones would look stunning if they took on slight green undertone, turning it pewter. That would really be something!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I finally placed an order with Zuneta for some RBR! I got delicate hummingbird and a lippie! I cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, I am so excited for you. Oh, to be a RBR virgin again! Delicate Hummingbird is one of the prettiest eyeshadows I own. Which lipstick did you get?

      Delete
  8. Thanks! I got the sheer lipstick, succulence of dew, in dissolved in dreams. Hope I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dissolved in Dreams is such a juicy watermelon! ♥♥♥ I also love Murmurings, and Tongue Tickles is on its way to me right now. Enjoy! DiD will look beautiful with Delicate Hummingbird.

      Delete
  9. Love the look of these - very much my kinds of colours. I must pop my RBR cherry soon!

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look amazing! love RBR's makeup

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.