Friday, February 3, 2012

Cle de Peau Beaute Extra Silky Lipstick 112



Cle de Peau Beaute Extra Silky Lipstick ($52, 2 grams) was named "A Top Splurge" in Allure magazine's "Best of Beauty" article in the October 2011 issue.


I was curious about these lipsticks I have heard so much about, so I bought 112, a rose-based blue red, which I assumed would be sheer, like Laura Mercier's Gel Lip Color.


Love love love the rich, velvety deep rose color, but I found it to be disappointingly unsheer. The below swatch was one swipe on white paper. I would call the finish semi-opaque, and if you swipe lipstick across your mouth more than once, like I do (because it feels nice), then you'll end up with opaque coverage. Unfortunately, blotting the color down also took away all the lovely shine.


Compared to lipsticks in other brands, there is not tons of info/swatches online, but I discovered that the swatches at saks.com are, surprisingly, not too far off the mark. Good job, Sak's; let's hope that Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Bergdorf Goodman are taking note.



Pros:
  • Finish: Very moisturizing and silky with plenty of slip.
  • Color: 112 is complex, rich, and velvety, a head about many other red-based colors. 
  • Scent: None (at least none that I could detect).
  • Application: Smooth with full coverage in one swipe.
  • Wear: Excellent. I got 4 hours with even fading (no icky bits accumulating at the corners of my mouth and no ugly fading from the center outward). I can't say if the Extra Silky lipsticks are generally staining, but 112 left behind a rosy stain that I liked, as it made the total wear time seemed longer.
Cons:
  • Texture: My first application caused the beveled edge to crumble a tiny bit, so the product is quite fragile and soft. 
  • Finish: Moderately shiny luster that, sadly, feels like it sits on top of my lips--as in, I can feel that Argan oil and can't get past the feeling that I have salad dressing on my lips. Also, these lipsticks are advertised and described as being sheer, but 112 is decidedly not sheer. That was the biggest disappointment, and I would have overlooked all of the other cons if not for that. I already have plenty of pigmented red lipsticks.
  • Applicator: I do not love long, skinny tubes, preferring traditional lipstick tubes that are short and can be easily tucked away. Big con: product does not retract.
  • Price: $52 for 2 grams of product, which is double the price of most high-end lipsticks and half the size, as a typical lipstick weighs between 3.5 and 4 grams. Definitely a splurge.
Bottom line: Beautiful color and soft feel, but it's one splurge I probably won't repeat any time soon.


All pictures mine except the first and last, which are from saks.com.

15 comments:

  1. I've always wondered about these, so thanks for the review! It's a lovely colour, but yeah-pretty pricey! I was thinking about getting their concealer, as I keep hunting for the ultimate one. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the concealer in beige, which is a bit too dark for me, but I read that the lighter one was really yellow. It does provide excellent coverage, so it would be great for hiding the odd zit that pops up, but the irony is I feel weird putting makeup on something that I want to heal in a hurry, so I prefer to use BB Touch Stick on spots because it has treatment in it.

      So while the Cle de Peau concealer does conceal, it's a bit heavy for me. I don't like to wear makeup that feels like a mask, so my favorite concealers tend to be the ones that lighten shadows with reflective particles (YSL) rather than cover my skin completely. But my undereye shadows aren't too bad, and I rarely get that dreaded third eye.

      Delete
  2. First I love your carpe cosmeticum declatarion towards the beautifying stuff. Also, thank you for de-hyping this lipstick so it saves us cash (staying with my Lavshuca's now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, birkinbagbeauty. To be sure, it's a luxurious lipstick, and if I were a more discerning shopper who had only a few items, Cle de Peau lipsticks might very well be on my list. And if I were richer than God, I'd likely try several more shades. But I'd rather have my retirement home on the sea one day than pretty, red lips. ;)

      Delete
  3. Sorry you didn't love it!

    For me, it IS a good value, because I get the finish I'm looking for, it's unbelievably moisturizing, especially over time, and the wear means I use much less of it than other glossy lipsticks. I think, per use, it is more affordable than the Dior Addicts, for instance. As for the feel, you either like it or don't.

    I think I'm in the camp that would rather have an Extra Silky than two Chanels or Chantecailles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarasotagirl, that's exactly what I meant in my comment above and probably should have included it in the blasted post! I, alas, cannot refrain from buying all the pretty lipsticks I see, so it's best I stay away from the more pricey ones. Compared to the $$$ Tom Ford lipsticks, Cle de Peau;s formula blows TF out of the water.

      What I like the least about CdP is the tube. How things are packaged makes a big different to me, not from a snobbery perspective (though there is some of that) but from a manual position. As in, how convenient is it to use and carry around.

      And you bring up an excellent point about wear over time compared to using up another lipstick. If you don't mind I am going to edit my post because I think that was an important point I had missed. I read other reviews that said the wear time was not good, and I wondered if I bought a newer formula, because this lipstick looked perfect for four straight hours.

      I was hoping more naysayers would comment because now I feel like *lalalala I can't hear you lalalala*

      Delete
  4. I have been wondering about these. I might have to check them out when I go to the mall. That color is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes. I think I will ignore the pros here, focus on the cons, and keep my wallet safe. Also the no-retract thing is a bit of a big deal, isn't it? What if you accidentally twist too much? What if it accidentally twists while it's in your purse? Yikes again!

    The color is beautiful, though. ._.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PBI: It will not twist in your purse. The mechanism is a click, so you have to use directed pressure to turn it. And it's easy to click two or three times (what I usually do) and stop.

      Delete
    2. I agree, this lipstick won't click itself into mush because it's a twist click, not a push click. Plus, I carry my lipsticks in a makeup case so there's less chance of accidents. It's just a wee bag with powder, lipstick, and oil-blotting leaves, but it keeps everything tight and safe.

      Delete
  6. cdp is one brand i don't plan on trying any time soon so i'm glad this review makes it easy to skip ^^ if you posted a gorgeous lip swatch i mite have died a little inside lol and i totally agree that packaging is super important to me on a high end brand just because that's one thing that drugstore quality items tend to shirk on xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabella. I'm torn about posting lip swatches. I love looking at lipstick on other women, but part of me gets drawn into the color by how it looks on them. In most cases it won't look at all the same on me, so I am slowly moving away from 100% skin and lip swatches and trying always to include paper swatches, since that shows the color most true.

      Delete
  7. It costs USD$52 and doesn't retract? Wow, thanks for that. Temptation avoided! I got pulled into a makeover by a bored Cle de Peau Beaute SA not long ago and she did a spectacular job. I was tempted to splurge big time but managed to walk away without a purchase. I've been looking at their products longingly ever since but the price tags are a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I totally agree. I love high end makeup, but there's a point when I have to realize it just isn't THAT good,

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the great review~!

    Now following your blog dear.

    xoxo,

    http://icycrystalgalleria.blogspot.ca/

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.