Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter: Sweet Tart, Berry Smoothie, Raspberry Pie and Lollipop


I spent the lasts several weeks waiting to get my hands on the newest drugstore sensation, Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter ($7.49) lipsticks, but I could not find them anywhere. I finally placed an order at drugstore.com where, even there, all colors were backordered 1-2 weeks.

This new lipstick is nice, but comparisons to Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine formula strike me as somewhat exaggerated. Whereas Rouge Coco Shine is moderately sheer and weightless on the lips, all of the Revlon Lip Butter lipsticks I tried were much stickier and much less sheer. The Revlon product has an almost petroleum feel, and the shimmer colors I tried felt gritty. I'd be more inclined to compare Revlon to Clinique's Butter Shine formula.

Though the Revlon color selection is fun (something for everyone), I feel mildly surprised and disappointed that the finish is not more sheer.

I purchased Sweet Tart, Berry Smoothie, Raspberry Pie and Lollipop.

Sweet Tart 090, Berry Smoothie 050, Raspberry Pie 010, and Lollipop 075

Sweet Tart is candy-bright pink with a hint of coral. Berry Smoothie is muted mid-toned mauve with silvery shimmers--the most sheer of the four I purchased (but also the most gritty). Raspberry Pie is an opaque red-raspberry. Lollipop is a bold fuchsia with blue microshimmers.

Sweet Tart 090, Berry Smoothie 050, Raspberry Pie 010, and Lollipop 075

Sweet Tart 090

Berry Smoothie 050

Raspberry Pie 010

Lollipop 075

Sweet Tart, Berry Smoothie, Raspberry Pie, Lollipop

Sunlight
Sweet Tart, Berry Smoothie, Raspberry Pie, Lollipop

Natural light, no flash
Sweet Tart, Berry Smoothie, Raspberry Pie, Lollipop


Sweet Tart, Berry Smoothie, Raspberry Pie, Lollipop
Bottom line:  A worth addition to the Revlon lineup with plenty of color options for everyone.

All photos taken by me

17 comments:

  1. I love these as well and totally agree! I think I need to get Berry Smoothie now-it's the only one of these I don't have haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first opened them I thought I would like Berry Smoothie the least, but it has become my favorite of the four, providing just enough color. The other three are really pretty, but they're a bit too bright and pigmented for me. Raspberry Pie is the one that breaks my heart. It's color is my favorite, but damn, that thing is saturated, and it gives my upper lips that Locust Valley Lockjaw look. I MAKE it work by wearing a think layer of Berry Smoothie all over and then dotting RP in the middle of my lower lip.

      Delete
  2. Looks like Revlon earned 4 kisses. Love that tissue. Good review, Z. -Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy. Heh, one day my skin might resemble the texture of that Kleenex, so I may as well get used to seeing what it's like! Isn't Raspberry Pie to die for?

      Delete
  3. I know it was a disappointment to you but I am thrilled that these aren't so sheer! I hate sheer lip colours and love the Clinique butter shine formula so these are on my immediate lust list the minute they arrive in the UK! Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I'll be loving these soon because they aren't sheer. I guess I am just going through a sheer phase, but you can't beat the color selection and the value!

      Delete
  4. Yay! So glad you liked them. I have Lollipop but not the others. I want them now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Raspberry Pie is going to be perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful color, deeply pigmented!

      Delete
  6. I love your post! I completely share your love of these Lip Butters! I lost my mind and tracked down and bought all 20 colors (not at the same time)! I don't usually ever wear warm toned lippies, but I have actually been doing something of an Ombre Lip with one of the cooler color on the outside and just a touch of the warmer color in the center. I figure that these are reasonably enough priced that experimenting out of my comfort zone is actually possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting idea of an ombre lip. In fact, I am so intrigued I am going to try it with the peach one tomorrow! Not sure yet what I will wear on the outside ... maybe Berry Smoothie or Cherry Tart. Fun!

      Congrats on tracking down all of them. They are collectibles, for certain! I am really impressed by the quality and richness of color for a drugstore lipstick.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to take so long to reply, Zuzu-- I just now found your response post. The Ombre lip was the only way I thought that I could think to pull off a color like Tutti Frutti. For some reason there is enough coolness in Peach Parfait that I am able to wear it alone.

      I think that Berry Smoothie or Cherry Tart would be very interesting with a peach pop. Did you give it a try?

      It was really rather compulsive of me to track all 20 down, but with all of the buy 1 get the second 1/2 off promos that have been going on- it was pretty easy to justify. I am really impressed with the quality too- especially for a drug store brand. It actually has caused me to take a second look at Revlon (gasp!). I picked up a few of their new eye shadow quads to test out, and so far I'm pretty impressed. Don't get me wrong, it is hardly RBR, Edward Bess, or Chantecaille-- but picking up two quads for $12.00 is no good to resist!

      Delete
    3. Revlon has come a long way! I wore Berry Smoothie all day and my lips feel great. I didn't like Berry with the peach, but Cherry Tart looked excellent with it.

      As for eyeshadow, the only d/s eyeshadow I've purchased is Rimmel (excellent quality) and Wet and Wild!!!

      And no worries about a slow reply. I comment on blogs and almost always forget to click subscribe, before I click publish, so if people respond to my comments I never know, lol.

      Delete
    4. Revlon really has a long way-- I never really expected to be cruising the d/s aisles again-- I have their Lip Butters to thank for that! I have never tried Rimmel, but have tried a few Wet'n'Wild shadows and was surprised by their pigmentation and quality. Drugstore brands have come a long long way!

      I am going to have to try Cherry Tart with Peach Parfait now-- that sounds lovely!

      Delete
  7. Love these! And some of they are still backordered and out of stock! Frustrating! Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drugstore.com seems to get these back into stock fairy quickly, even though they are always out of stock when I order. Longest I have waited was about a week.

      Delete

I love reading your comments. If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.