Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cosmeticus Interruptus: Chantecaille Lasting Eye Shade in Agate

Today's tribute from Land of the Abandoned is to Chantecaille Lasting Eye Shade in Agate., Why, why WHY, mean people at Chantecaille, did you discontinue this absolutely scrumptious color? I won't even bother listing the price since it isn't available anywhere. And I do mean anywhere, unless you can find the "Painting in Venice" palette on eBay, which rarely crops up, and which Lovesong for my Lipgloss  taunted us with last April.

Agate is in Chantecaille's Lasting Eye Shade formula, which in Chante-speak means matte. However Agate is not truly matte in that dead-flat sense. On me, it settles down into a satin finish. The color is a gorgeous dusty-grey lavender that almost exactly matches the color of the blue-based shadows in my eyelids. Why would I want to add more of the same, you might ask? Because warm beige and brown-based eyeshadows, which everyone else loves so much, do me no favors whatsoever. Brown makes me look exhausted, beat up, even a little dirty. Greys and purples are my version of neutral/natural.

I use Agate lightly on the lid into the crease for a basic, everyday look, or I use it the same way so many people use MAC Wedge, to blend out the edges of a darker crease color into the upper crease ... on those rare occasions I go to so much trouble (which is almost never). I love that Agate gives my pale face that vulnerable, haunted, almost-bruised Victorian look you see on actresses in BBC costume dramas, who look like they aren't wearing any makeup at all. Yep, that's my kind of makeup. Grab the smelling salts.

Rather than treat Agate like the extinct dinosaur it is, and revere it from afar in its own little glassed-in case with alarm system, I use it often, with gratitude and relish. When it's gone, I will miss it. On that sad day, I shall have the option of sending the last bits to the wonderful Three Custom Colors people for duplication. If you have not yet used their services on one of your beloved, discontinued items, I highly recommend them. Of course, something new will also probably come along that I love as well ... and I am wondering if NARS 413 BLKR might be just the ticket, but I digress.

At present, Chantecaille Agate is my 21st century version of Prescriptives Mushroom eyeshadow, which I loved so dearly in the 80s/90s, but which was reformulated when Px switched to the square pans. It used to be a beige dusty lavender, and now its just a warm beige that oxidizes orange. Buh-bye Mushroom.

I have nothing to compare Agate to. It is not similar to MAC Quarry or All Races or Urban Decay Illegal or Rouge Bunny Rouge Solstice Halcyon. Chanel Lavande is much more blue, and both Chantecaille Freesia and Laura Mercier Dusk are lilac, not lavender, which means they lean reddish purple without the grey that makes Agate such a great neutral shade on me.  The only eyeshadow that comes remotely close is Becca Chantilly, but Chantilly is much lighter and has a slightly more glowy finish.

Edited post to add comparison swatches of my grey-based purples.

From left to right: Alima Black Violet and Lilac, Chantecaille Agate, Bobbi Brown Heather, Becca Chantilly. (I didn't bother swatching the red-based purples, though Heather surprised me by how red it looked in comparison).

Indoors natural light

Same order in indirect sunlight

What do you do when a beloved eyeshadow is discontinued? Do you try to duplicate it or do you move on?

Photo credits: (1) chantecaille

21 comments:

  1. I've had lippies and foundations become discontinued but I'm still on my search for the perfect shadow and never felt that loss before! My sympathies!

    p.s. I love your cosmetic latin! Roman politicians be rolling in their graves! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. I do like to twist a good word. ;D

      Delete
  2. I suspect you may find a similar shade in one of the Guerlain palettes. Or Inglot may have something. Or Bobbi Brown possibly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. There are a few Gerlain palettes I swoon over, but I tend to not buy eye palettes because there's always at least one shade, more typically 2, I'd never wear. Sadly as much as I love BB cosmtics in theory, her colors are too muddy for me. I really liked Heather until I saw how red it was in comparison to Agate. In fact, I could have sworn I did a comparison picture ... let me see if I can find it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks GreatSheElephant! I just edited the post to add the swatches. I completely forgot earlier!

      Delete
    3. I'm thinking that maybe Slate or Rock if you could stand a bit of shimmer would be better than Heather.

      This Karla Sugar post may help
      http://karlasugar.net/2010/09/bobbi-brown-eyeshadow-recap/

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Great! I have Slate in both the cream and powder versions, and I recently picked up Rock. Both are pretty good on me, but they aren't my favs. I just have the hardest time loving BB products on *me.*

      Delete
  3. Maybe NARS Bleeker (spelled Blkr or something) will be a good substitute?

    I tend to move on. Almost always find something superior in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I recently ordered NARS 413 BLKR and also D.Gorgeous. We shall see!

      Delete
    2. BTW, I tried to move on, and now I know why my makeup purchasing habits have been so peripatetic. It's so difficult for me to find appropriate cool-toned colors that when I finally do, I stick to them until I can't get them anymore. So, in a way, I have been in a cosmetics free fall since Px Mushroom stopped working.

      Delete
  4. The only thing I've ever had that I loved and used up in recent memory was a Clarins LE bronzer 8 years ago. I finished it and I didn't realize it was only a summer thing and was so sad about not having it anymore.
    My makeup ADD has prevented me from loving something so earnestly, which is why I've stopped buying things lately. I've found some wonderful products in the last year and want to enjoy them. No more flitting around for this makeup junkie!
    I do love Chantecaille shadows and blushes-Agate looks gorgeous. Too bad they discontinued it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes no sense; it's such a great neutral matte. Oh, well. I'll figure something else out, and when I do, I can stop looking for the next 10 years!

      Delete
  5. I don't think Nars 413 BLKR is quite as brown. It has more gray to it than Agate appears to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably just my picture, but Agate isn't brown at all. It's grey lavender.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and to clarify, I adopted Agate when it had already been out and very likely discontinued for a few years. So maybe the color changed. My pan does not look brown at all. But maybe it started out that way. In any case, if 413 is even MORE cool, I will be one happy camper when it arrives!

      Delete
  6. I'd send the remains to 3 Custom Colours and see if they can duplicate it. It would be a nice challenge for them (it looks like a multi-layered, interesting shade) and it would be such a shame to lose your PERFECT colour. I had a three-shadow Sisheido
    palette back in the 'seventies that I adored with a medium colour that looked very similar. I've never found one like it since. It made my eyes look the most gorgeous deep aqua blue.

    moushka26 (at) yahoo (dot) ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost surely will ... unless something else comes along that I like better. Since a single eyeshadow can last me a couple years -- IF I use it every day -- I won't run out any time soon, and Chantecaille eyeshadows are huge!

      It's such a disappointment when they stop making our favorites, but it's even more frustrating when favorites we count on for years suddenly stop working.

      Delete
  7. Hi Zuzu, Agate DOES look scrumptious! It's such a shame that it's discontinued. I haven't run out of a shadow yet, however I suppose there are always new and wonderful colors coming out and it's time to move on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never actually run out of a shadow yet, either ... except I have used one up. A few times. Yes, ME! Sadly, those days seem to be long gone. Too fickle.

      The two new NARS colors are gorgeous, and the new RBR "taupe" is also very very close to Agate. I will have to grab some new comparison shots, since the NARS and RBR are new to me.

      Delete
  8. Wow, you're the first person I've ever met who has the same problem as I do with warm tones looking muddy and dirty and blah. It's so frustrating, I just don't know WTF to do with myself in finding colors to use on my eyes. Half the time I just use Naked Lunch alone and call it a day, in disgust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hardlyfatal, I realize this suggestion is just MAC, but since MAC is what you are currently using, take a look at this article on Cool Season Makeup Palettes. I had my colors done recently (I'm a True Summer, which explains why I can handle no warmth in my makeup), and my analyst went through all my makeup with me after the appointment, helping me weed out the duds. If you are interested in what I kept, feel free to email me, and I will send you a list ... which contains stuff outside MAC!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.