Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Makeup I Never Leave the House Without

Tracy's beauty confession about makeup products she ignores got me thinking in the opposite direction. Sure, I often ignore blush and eyeliner, I'll probably skip mascara on days I don't go to the office, and I never wear bronzer, but are there products I never skip?

I bet you already know the answer to that is yes.

I never ever ever EVER leave the house without at least a hint of color on my lips; in fact, I wear it around the house, even if I have no plans to go out and won't be seeing anyone besides the cats or Mr. Petals. And I almost never go out without filling in my brows. Aside from the fact that my brows are getting sparse and my lips seem like they are being reabsorbed back into my face, I consider these items to be my desert-island products because of how quickly and completely then can transform an average face.

Eyebrows. I love the look of a well-defined brow that isn't too overdone. If the color complements  skin tone and the product is applied naturally (as opposed to architecturally), well-groomed brows can be tremendously youth enhancing while they frame the face and brings focus to it.

After years of using Clinique's Brow Shaper, which was starting to look too dark, I discovered a new "holy grail" brow product, thanks to the recommendation of my friend keridaren. That product is Laura Mercier Brow Definer in the color Warm, which is NOT warm, not one little bit. Warm is actually a soft, cool charcoal brown that is not too dark if applied in light layers with an angle brush, though you could build it up to be a bit more Boy George.


Lipstick. I simply love the way a shot of color brightens my skin and makes my face look more awake. No other makeup item I own is so transforming, so if my feet were held over burning coals and some meanie forced me to choose just one makeup item to keep, lipstick would always win. The right lipstick formula provides both color and treatment, and it can even be used as a blush as well as an eye brightener, if dabbed on the upper lid above the crease and then blended out.

My current favorite is Lipstick Queen Jean Queen, a sheer, juicy rose, which I have worn every single day since the day I bought it six weeks ago from Barneys. Down nearly 50%, it is currently my most-used, most-loved rose lipstick. (I still have a favorite sheer cheery red that gets almost as much use.)


Do you wear makeup every day no matter what? What are the items you won't leave the house without?

16 comments:

  1. LOVE that you went the opposite way! I love thinking about our obsession and what makes it tick.
    For me, I never leave the house without my eyebrows done as well. At my age, they seen to be getting-ahem...lighter in shade shall we say? And they are sparse on the ends, so I always fill them in. I use MAC Flirt pencil, or Omega eye shadow.
    I really want to try this Lipstick Queen lipstick!! It sounds perfect. I have her Medieval one, and love how hydrating it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Barneys NY has free shipping both ways. In fact I am nearly sure of it. Just trying to do my part! :D

      I just discovered Shiseido Tender Sheer lipsticks, too. Ruh-roh. Pout is a very pretty shade ... I'm just sayin'

      Delete
  2. Haha, this is the perfect complement to Tracy's post!

    I do sometimes run around without makeup on. There are items I will often skip even when it is a makeup day, but I usually always have eyeliner on. Possibly in different colors, but it's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny about preferences. Eyeliner is the last thing I'd chose, but you have such nice, well formed and pigmented lips I can see why you'd skip lipstick if you HAD to, hee.

      Delete
  3. Ooh... the Laura Mercier Brow Definer looks interesting. I'm going to check it out the next time I go downtown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so doubtful that a color named Warm could be anything I could ever wear I bought the one I am using on eBay for half price. Now that I know its name is completely wrong, I would have no problem paying full price. Someone told me she's been using her same pot for 3 years (!) and someone else said she accidentally left the lid off for a few weeks, while she dabbled in another product, and the Brow Definer was still good. That's my kind of product!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Do you find that it holds up to sweat (e.g., a muggy summer's day) and/or is waterproof?

      Delete
    3. I don't know yet! I only started using it last month, so time will tell, but it holds up well to my partly oily skin, and my forehead is one of the oiliest parts.

      I'll very likely review the product on its own or at least bring it up again in a favorites post after I've been wearing it a while longer.

      Delete
    4. Forgot to add that this formula does seem to be at least water resistant. Because the finish is every so slightly waxy, I imagine. I pre-cleanse my face with Boscia oil and then use whatever cleanser I have on hand to take the rest off, and that does the trick, but being outside in a snow shower did not make this product run. :)

      Delete
  4. If I had to choose just one item to run out the house with, it's mascara. Like you said about lipsticks, I even wear it around the house. I look much more awake that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dovey, I love the way mascara looks on other people, and every time I see a makeup video, I think, yup, she looks better with the mascara. But for some reason I don't like it on me.

      Delete
  5. I have Medieval Queen and love it. For pink I use an Armani lipstick but man is it pigmented...Might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LPC, ahh Medieval is such a pretty, sheer strawberry red. The formula is outstanding, so I was really pleased that Jean Queen was just the same. Unfortunately, the other Lipstick Queen lipsticks are very matte and pigmented and drying on my lips, even though I tried to love Rose Sinner.

      I was going to recommend a Rouge d'Armani color that is similar to Jean Queen (and also sheer and moisturizing) but it looks like it has been discontinued. It was #606 from the Uptown Mauves collection, so if you run into that one anywhere, you might want to try it on. While I was on the Armani site, I noticed that there are new Rouge d'Armani sheer lipsticks! I must check them out.

      Delete
  6. Even on a no-makeup day, SPF 30 and moisturizer are a MUST. I usually give my skin a one-day a week rest from makeup and just use Laura Mercier Peony on my lips.

    My mother got her first wrinkle at 70 and never left the home with a naked face. She always kept her face protected and it has worked beautifully--no sun, no smoking, great products and lots of exercise. At 73, she is still gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexandra, what a wise mother you have! Alas, mine--though she protected her skin--had a hysteectomy at 32 without any HRT (I don't think they had it then) and immediately got wrinkles. But she takes excellent care of her skin, and though wrinkled, is as soft as a peach skin. She is also 73, and goes to Curves 5 days a week. :^)

      With a model like that, I bet your skin is the envy of all your friends!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.