Friday, April 6, 2012

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine 61 Bonheur: Review, Swatches, Comparisons



Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Hydrating Sheer Lipshine ($32.50), introduced last spring, is a weightless lipstick that comes in a wide range of shades, from soft beiges to to delicate pinks to vibrant berries, almost all with subtle shimmer.

If you look at the box in the above image, you'll notice that Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks are smaller than other lipsticks in the Chanel line, weighing in at 0.10 ounces, compared to 0.12 ounces in the Rouge Allure formula. Both cost the same, but I don't care. I love that I can slip this slim tube into a pocket undetected and apply it without a mirror.

Bonheur (Coco Chanel's middle name, which means happiness) is a sheer, cool, reddened plum that contains rose microshimmers.

Indoors at midday, natural light, no flash

Indirect sunlight

Many Rouge Coco Shine colors appear deeply pigmented in their packaging—and Bonheur is among the most pigmented of the line—but they are quite sheer if applied in one swipe. I like to build up the color by swiping across my lips a few times, but the overall impression is still sheer and glossy. 


Indoors at midday, natural light, no flash

Application is smooth, silky, and melts into my lips, leaving a high-shine, pearly finish. The texture feels exceptionally good, almost gel-like with plenty of cushion—in fact, if feels more like a luxurious lip balm than makeup. I love the fact that I can't feel this lipstick when I am wearing it; it truly is weightless, and I feel absolutely no "grit" from the shimmers.  

Many reviewers knock off points because the Rouge Coco Shine formula is not long lasting. It's true that the glossy finish doesn't last much longer than an hour on me, but the pigment sticks around a bit longer—about two to three hours. The finish seems like one of the newer lip gloss/lipstick hybrids, similar to Chantecaille Lip Chic, and I don't mind reapplying this lipstick often one bit.






I know that the regular Coco Rouge lipsticks were introduced to get women to switch from lip gloss to lipstick, but I think Chanel should have marketed the Rouge Coco Shine formula that way. This lipstick is THE perfect formula for lip gloss lovers who are interested in making the transition to lipstick, as well as for those of us who want to try more pigmented colors but don't want our lips to walk into the room before we do.





Meanwhile, the cool, red-grape-plum reminded me of NARS Sheer Lipstick in Damage, a lipstick I picked up after reading a comment by LPC, of Privilege, who called it her MLLB shade.





Damage is more grape compared to Bonheur's Damson plum. Side by side, it's easier to see the red undertones in Bonheur, which contains shimmer, whereas Damage is just sheer shine. Do you need both? Probably not. Deciding between the two would be a matter of preference on finish. I find the Rouge Coco Shine to be a bit more pigmented and much more silky, so it's my first choice.




Bottom line: I absolutely love this lipstick formula. The finish is so comfortable and easy to wear, and there's a color in the Rouge Coco Shine lineup for everyone.

All photos taken by me

22 comments:

  1. Mmm this color looks delicious! I already have Boy and Monte Carlo and LOVE them. They are so easy to apply - just like you said :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annick, I am really curious about Boy but fear it might be too light for me. I should head to a Chanel counter soon and look at these again. I have a craving for more Rouge Coco Shine, preferably a not-too-prissy pink.

      Delete
  2. It looks very pretty on your lips! May have to give this shade a try. I really like both Rouge Coco formulas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I also like the Rouge Allure formula. Chanel has come a very long way since the drying, stinky Hydrabase years.

      Delete
  3. Bonheur is GORGEOUS. I have Royallieu and Boy only, but I might have to put this on my list!! This is lovely on your lips-- it's the perfect color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *must* go look at these again. I have wanted Boy ever since it was the first one introduced last year, but something keeps holding me back. I'll never know for sure until I try it on. What's your take on it? Is it pigmented enough for someone with rosy-mauve lips (medium pigment)? I've seen some swatches where Boy looks like a warm pink.

      I want something lighter for summer lips, but my face still needs a bit of brightness or I look washed out.

      Royallieu, for example, would definitely be too light for me! It's so gorgeous, though. I want a cashmere scarf in that color.

      Delete
    2. I think it's worth a second look at Boy. I just swatched it next to Royallieu and Jean Queen Lipstick, and frankly if Jean Queen and Royallieu had a baby it would be Boy! If you don't want a lipstick that is a little lighter than Jean Queen then you probably will want to pass. However, I would suggest taking a look next time you are near a counter and be sure to have Jean Queen with you as a reference (which I know you will since you have it in your purse). I love Boy, and I think that it achieves that MLBB look, but it might lack the level of pigmentation that you want for your rosy-mauve lips. Some swatches definitely make it seem like a warm pink, but on me it's definitely cool. Karla Sugar has a good swatch of it:

      http://karlasugar.net/2011/01/chanel-rouge-coco-shine-boy/

      It might be perfect for you for summer lips- provided that it is clean, clear and blue enough on your lips.

      Interestingly Amy's swatches pull yellow as do Liz's lips, but it looks nothing like this on me:

      http://cafemakeup.com/2011/02/08/chanel-rouge-coco-shine-in-boy-first-review-and-swatches/

      I love love love Royaliieu, but it is definitely very very light. It would make one gorgeous cashmere scarf!!

      Delete
    3. Aw, a Baby Boy. ♥

      That does it. I need to get myself to a Chanel counter because I want to check out the new cream/pressed-powder foundation, too. I can't imagine I can pull off a shade as dark as BR22, but that's the lightest of the rose shades, and if Charlestongirl can wear it, maybe I can, too.

      I saw KS's swatches of Boy, which made me like it, and then I saw Amy's swatches, which coincidentally showed Boy and Royallieu together. Boy looked really warm there, though Liz seems to wear it a bit cooler.

      I can't go this weekend, but next for sure!

      Delete
    4. Precisely! I wish that i had time to go see Tumulte & the new Pink Explosion this weekend, but I have to get my work finished and sent off-- Perilously Pale's swatches make me want to see it in person. I agree that since Charleston Girl can wear BR22 that you should be able to as well.

      I'd completely forgotten about Amy's post on Royallieu with Boy and Magnolia- Boy definitely looks much warmer there, but Royallieu is definitely a blue-based pink on Liz

      Delete
  4. It actually funny when you compare names if you want Damage or Bonheur (happiness) I'll pick the latter. I love this lipstick too, even though you have to reapply it more frequently: I don't mind flaunting this little Chanel.
    Going to make this a wishlist one because it's that perfect colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point about the name difference; I hadn't even thought of that. I guess I have grown so jaded, but I've never been a huge fan of some of NARS' naming conventions, though it's usually a step above Urban Decay. I also agree that the Chanel packaging is nicer and much less bulky. Bonheur really is a perfect color. :)

      Delete
  5. Well how lovely to see my old favorite lipstick reexamined in such illustrious company! Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zuzu, whenever I see these deep berry/plum toned lipsticks, I immediately think of you! This does seem like a very good fit for your taste :) I haven't tried a Rouge coco shine yet, but I've only heard good things! I do want to try one, but I keep getting distracting by the new releases and can't choose! I think my favorite of the ones I've seen is probably Evasion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dovey, given your love of softly-colored lipsticks, you're sure to find more than one you love! Evasion looks beautiful, peachier, and slightly-lighter than Boy. At least on Karla's arm. ;)

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos, Zuzu! I've only tried one of the shades from the Rouge Coco Shine lineup (Monte Carlo), and love the colour and formula. Bonheur looks really pretty in your swatches, so I'll definitely be checking this one out next time I visit a Chanel counter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nat! Monte-Carlo was my first RCS. I immediately fell in love with the formula, but the color was too warm for me, so I gave it to my mother. It really brightens up her face and light red hair.

      Delete
  8. you are making me regret parting with Bonheur! It looks so gorgeous on you! I think I had about seven Rouge Coco Shines and I got rid of all of them. I loved how they looked and felt but they seemed to disappear of my lips almost the instant after I applied them and it drove me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand that. Five ... definitely ten years ago, I'd not have had the patience for this formula. I liked my lipstick pigmented, wanted it to last all day, and was willing to put up with that dry feeling.

      Now I don't mind reapplying at all! It feels so good, I practically carry a RCS in my pocket on the days I wear them, so I can reapply as needed. And maybe I might actually use up an entire lipstick. (It's been a while.)

      But all of them, PP? If you're anything like me, you'll read reviews and see swatches of an item you discarded, get "dumper's remorse," and repurchase it. I am embarrassed to say I have done this before. NARS Gipsy comes immediately to mind, and Ammie below can corroborate. ;)

      Delete
  9. Those colors are so perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ammie. I love them both. I was worried that Damage would be too muted (since that's how the NARS web site describes it), but I went based on reviews and couldn't be happier. If this lipstick is muted, I am not seeing it. It seems like a sheer, clear plummy grape to me.

      Delete
  10. Wow love the color, so girly. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.