Monday, April 9, 2012

Chanel Soft Touch Eye Shadow 85 Sillage: Review, Swatches, Comparisons



I purchased Chanel Soft Touch Eye Shadow in Sillage ($28.50, #85), hoping for a perfect base color.




The texture is outstanding, and the finish is shimmery but not overly so. Over a primer (I use Paula Dorf), the color lasts all day.

The color is a warm shell pink, but the tiny microshimmers add complexity and make Sillage look different in different lights. Here it appears cool beige.


And here it start to warm up and lean toward that lovely shell-pink color.



But on my pink-porcelain skin, Sillage looks peach.


Indirect sunlight, no flash

 And, surprisingly, even warmer indoors in natural light!


Indoors, natural light, no flash


When compared to similar eyeshadows in my drawer, Sillage is lighter and less beige than Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracious Arasari, warmer and less pink than Chantecaille Quartz, warmer and more peach than Prescriptives Venus (discontinued), and more peach than Julie Hewett Runway.
 


I actually swatched the above eyeshadows on my skin, but even though they are all quite different, they morphed into one big beige splat


After I pulled this review together, I mentally unearthed several other similar eyeshadows that I should have included in the group. Maybe I will update this post later if anyone wants me to. I did find a few pictures that showed some of my pink-peach-beige colors in isolation, which I inserted below, but now I am curious to see the above group include Alima Dawn, Becca Doeskin, Paul & Joe Little Sister, and Pixi Fairy Light Solo No.1 French Lace

Here's a swatch I found on my flash drive of Becca Doeskin next to to RBR Gracious Arasari:


Here's another warm pinkish-beige eyeshadow: Paul & Joe Little Sister #13 in their Self Select pans.




And Pixi's French Lace on the left:


I think Pixi and P&J would be the closest to Sillage.

Bottom line: Sillage is a perfectly good neutral eyeshadow base that I don't find to be essential.

Purchased by me from chanel.com, all photos taken by me.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful color! I love the comparisons you showed-- it gave a much better idea of where Sillage falls within the spectrum. I love how it looks on your skin, but was totally surprised to see that it morphed into a peachier hue. I still think it looks lovely on you, but I thought that your skin would have pulled out the pink in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think that would be the case, too, but after my color draping last winter, I learned that if there is even a hint of warmth in any makeup item I wear, my skin will broadcast it. It helped me finally understand why I could never seem to find the "right" brown eyeshadow. The only right brown for me is one that contains lots of grey or rose.

      I LOVE peach, but I can't wear it. Thus, I feel so marginalized/unrepresented this time of year. ;)

      Delete
    2. But at least that you now know that you really are a True Summer! It's interesting that you are so true to your season that even the tiniest amount warmth in any makeup is so evident. At least Moth Brown appears to be heavily grey-- so I'm betting it will be a great choice.

      Peach doesn't do much for me either-- my mom is a Spring-- and those warm hues just make her skin dance and sing- when I try them on I look like I have the flu! You might not be able to wear peach on your face, but think of the color of my lilacs that you can wear!!!!

      Delete
    3. I am not certain what my mother's season is. She identifies with Autumn, but if she is, she's a Soft Autumn, maybe even a Light Spring. I have never draped her to see if she's better in warm-muted or warm-clear.

      You'd think I can wear lilac, but even lilac is a tricky color for me. *grumble* Lilac has more red in it, and since primary red is considered warm ... I have discovered that those colors are not my best, as much as I still love them. My best colors are grey, blue grey and lavender, which is purple with grey. Just give me a solid cloud cover and I'm good to go!

      I agree that Moth Brown looks heavily greyed, and I am definitely trying it when it comes out.

      Delete
    4. I'm a bit surprised that you can't wear lilac! However, I can see how the red in it would be problematic for you. Lavender is the perfect antidote to the lilac problem.

      Delete
    5. Yep, lilac brings the red out of my face. If I were a True Summer without rosacea, I might have a different experience with it. But I still wear it because I love it; I just choose lilacs that lean more purple than red.

      Delete
  2. Yep, Sillage went peach on me, too. Doeskin and Gracious Arasari look so similar on paper yet completely different on my eyes! Ah, the mysteries of skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Sadly none of the three is good on my skin.

      Delete
  3. Although I haven't caved in and purchased it yet, this is one of the Chanel shadows that leapt out at me the first time I looked through them. Strange for such an understated shade, but it seems so lovely. You've just increased my lemming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh. :) Sillage is a delicious basic, and I love its translation, which I believe is "vapour trail." If you can wear warm peachy-pinks, this would be an excellent staple.

      Delete
  4. It's pretty! But I'm liking the looks of that Pixi French Lace one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I got the idea of using the Pixi French Lace eyeshadow from a Pixiwoo video tutorial. I should review those colors soon! I've had them since last summer, that's how far behind I am.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous pics of Sillage! I was convinced that Sillage was going to be the end all, to be all- for me...it wasn't. It is a beautiful shade. I remember being immediately drawn to it, after seeing a swatch on a blog. In real life, (on my eyes) it appears a very warm peach. It is much more pretty on my hand than on my eyes.

    I have never seen Doeskin swatched on white paper. In my pan, it appears to be an innocent beige with a tiny bit of pink. On my eyes, it warms up and muddies.
    Thank you for the comparisons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lippy girl, you must be cool-toned like me because Doeskin does the exact same thing on my lids, even though it looks like a cool-pink beige in the pan. Sometimes I look wistfully at these staple colors in their pans and wish they looked the same on me, but just a whisper of warmth in an eyeshadow (or blush or lipstick) will turn into warm mud on my icy-cool skin.

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.