Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Allure, Review and Swatches

source
Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you one thing about my beauty-product preferences: I hate lip gloss. Hate hate hate it. I continually, foolishly, get drawn in by the beautiful colors—made all the more tantalizing because I can see those pretty colors through the clear tubes—but I am almost always disappointed. Lip gloss is goopy. It constantly reminds me that I am wearing it, because I can feel it on my lips. It collects in the corners of my mouth. It creates stalactites and stalagmites when I speak (and, trust me, what has been seen cannot be unseen), and I hate how sticky it feels.

But still I try. As Chantecaille is one of my favorite brands, a few months ago, I picked up several tubes of Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss ($32, 1 oz.), as well as the Pure Brilliance Trio (reviewed here). Sadly, Chantecaille saw fit to discontinue the best color in that trio: Patina—a rich, velvety burgundy.  Many of the colors in this lip gloss line are sheer and unpigmented, like Love and Charm, while others pack a colorful punch.

This review is about one such punchy color, Allure.




Allure is a sheer, cool berry with plenty of shine, and it is one of the few in the Brilliant Gloss lineup that contains zero shimmer, which makes me happy.




The applicator is a synthetic brush, instead of the typical felt doefoot, and is sized perfectly to fit within the lip borders; it is also neither too floppy nor too stiff, the way some lip gloss brushes can be. One draw from the tube provides plenty of pigment, so there's no need to keep plunging the brush back in to get more color. I appreciate this thoughtful design detail.




And while the finish does feel somewhat goopy, it isn't sticky, and it sits comfortably on my lips with a cushiony, almost jelly-like feel.


Indirect sunlight


Unlike some colored lip gloss that puts down virtually no color (Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss and Lancôme Juicy Tubes), Brilliant Gloss has good color payoff, at least the deeper-looking ones have.


Indoors, natural lighting, no flash


I did not notice any fragrance, but it tingles a bit, as if the gloss contained peppermint. Gluten-sensitive people take note: The formula contains wheat proteins, which are supposed to be lip plumping, but the only "plumping" I see is pure artifice from adding shine to my lips, which draws in the light. Wear time on me is 2-3 hours.




Bottom line: Worth it.

Ingredients: Polybutene, Hydrogenated PolyDecene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Hydrogenated Styrene/IsoPrene Copolymer, Propylparaben, Flavor, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis, Leaf Extract, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate. May contain Mica, Titainum Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Carmine, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Eosine Y.

All photos taken by me except (1).

20 comments:

  1. That looks gorgeous on you! It doesn't settle into lip lines at all? I always worry about that with deeper shades of gloss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I honestly never noticed. I guess that means no, but I will try it again later today and see how it goes. I suspect it's still a no because this stuff is so cushiony.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to come back and reply, no it doesn't settle into my lip lines, but I use Baltic Collagen on my lips, which makes them nice and plump. I have not noticed any upper lip migration when I use Brilliant Gloss, either.

      Delete
  2. This is unbelievably gorgeous, and it looks so lovely on you!! I have been trying to avoid Chantecaille because I fear that if I enter the fold that I'll REALLY want to explore the line. After this review I don't think I can avoid the inevitable any longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! You haven't explored Chantecaille? Beware. Not only is it a gorgeous line, much of it seems designed with Olivia in mind (she is the face of Chantecaille, after all), who appears to be a Winter season. Some of my favorite eyeshadows of all time come from that line, and they put out the most exquisite collections.

      Delete
    2. I have been trying to keep away from the line, but with each new collection my resolve weakens!! I'm worried!! Did you see Gaia's post that RBR is now available in the US through http://www.beautyhabit.com/??!! OH NO!!

      Delete
    3. I did see that, and Beauty Habit is an excellent business! Luckily I have already bought the entire RBR line, so nothing tempts me right now. ;) And since the new palettes got stolen from Zuneta as part of that hijacked shipment, it might be a while before we see anything new.

      Delete
    4. Such a lucky girl-- the whole line (drooling)! I have never purchased from them- so it's good to hear that they are excellent. I checked out their prices and wonder if it still might be cheaper at Zuneta during their sales. I also learned that Beauty Habit is located just a bit North of LA and that you can arrange to pick up your purchases directly-- I can't even imagine what it would feel like to get RBR the day that I order it.

      I know-- the hijacked shipment is going to defer my next order for a while- since the things I have been eyeing have been sold out for so long.

      Delete
    5. It's such a shame about that theft! I hope the people are caught. I don't see how they think they will be able to sell the new items without it being obvious ... unless they wait until Zuneta receives their reshipment, but even then, surely someone will now how many of x and y were manufactured.

      Delete
    6. I KNOW!! What a strange thing to steal too! I can't imagine that it will be too easy to move "hot" makeup! Is there some black market makeup underworld that we are unaware of. RBR was already so far behind manufacturing because of the delay that the palettes caused to the rest of the backordered items. Such a shame. I guess we won't be see in the palettes anytime soon!

      Delete
    7. oops- meant to say I guess we won't be seeing the palettes anytime soon! Such a shame- I really wanted to see those palettes!

      Delete
    8. We won't be seen in them, either, heh. I am curious about them and how tiny the RBR eyeshadows will be. I bet Beauty Habit gets them much later than Zuneta, but it is rather exciting to know we can get this stuff stateside now. I now know how non-US bloggers felt when Edward Bess came out and his stuff was all the rage.

      Delete
  3. I want this so bad... such a gorgeous shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, voodoogirl. I have such a weakness for rose and berry lip colors.

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely on you Zuzu! I just got my first Chantecaille gloss-it's not very pigmented like this, but I do love the feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! Too bad about the pigmentation ... unless you wanted it lighter.

      Delete
  5. I have Chantecaille gloss in Love, you know, the one Angelina Jolie was photographed using at the Golden Globes? Because using it will give me her lips? Lol not really, but I have to admit, I'm smitten. A gorgeous gloss for sure. This colour is so pretty and beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, I never quite manage to look like Scarlett Johanssen, either. I'd love to see Love, but I'd have to check it out in person because my lips are so pigmented. I wish Chantecaille were more widely sold.

      Delete
  6. Your first paragraph about lip gloss = my sentiments precisely!
    ZuZu, our similarities continue to surprise me. I'm glad I found your blog.
    I promise I'll join your forum soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, no pressure! Come whenever you like.

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.