Monday, April 30, 2012

Chen Man for MAC Play It Proper Beauty Powder

I don't buy much MAC these days, but when I saw that Chen Man had designed a box for the newest Beauty Powder as part of the Love & Water collection, and that the color, Play it Proper ($23), was something I might be able to wear, I took notice.

source


Softly hued and lightly sparkling, this beauty powder reflects the artist's infatuation with the color pink. The stylized Chinese character for love, depicted on the outer sleeve, was created by Chen Man.

She likes pink; I like pink. Sounds good. Here's another one of the promo pictures:

source


Pretty, isn't it? Unfortunately, I waited too long, and the MAC web site sold out.

Then one day I was moseying along in blogland and came upon a glorious review at lola's secret beauty blog, and I suddenly HAD to have it. I was in luck because Play it Proper was still available online at Nordstrom (and still is, as of this review).

Needless to say I ordered it.



When I first opened the lid, I felt disappointed. The color looked warm and and peach.

Indirect sun


But then as I moved the product around the room in different lighting conditions, the color changed and became more pink.


Moved slightly out of the sun


Out of curiosity, I compared it to another MAC Beauty Powder, Light Sunshine, which the MAC website had described as "pastel neutral pink with soft gold and pink sparkles" (discontinued). Side by side, I could see that Play it Proper was more pink, cooler, and slightly darker.






Swatched on NW15 skin below. I applied the powder fairly heavily because the color pigment is quite light. Also, because my skin is so cool toned, it really broadcasts the little bit of warmth in this powder. So on some of you, it will be a cool pale pink, but on me, it does have a bit of peach undertone.


Indoors, natural light, no flash

The underlying warmth in Play it Proper really shows up in the sun.


Sunlight


Sold as blush, I wear Play it Proper as highlighter because it doesn't add that much color to my rosy cheeks. I also swipe a fingertip into the pan and apply it at the vermilion border on my upper lip (Cupid's bow area) and use a smudge brush to drag a bit down the bridge of my nose.

A more creamy, glorious powder highlighter I have not yet found; I prefer it to Becca. The texture is silky, even creamy, and it is an excellent highlighter for fair people.

Note that if you have medium to large pores, this powder could highlight those wee craters. I use a primer and them apply Play it Proper over blush. It looks very pretty on top of NARS Gaiety (reviewed here).

Bottom line: ♥♥♥. I thought about buying a backup and then I remembered I am trying to be unencumbered. I also remembered I am fickle. But for now, it's love, and I have been wearing it every day.

All photos mine except where indicated by caption with link to source

23 comments:

  1. I bought this with it's original release and absolutely love it! It and Too Chic are probably my favourite highlighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might have found the powder to replace Chantecaille Shine Eye Shade in Perle as my stand-in highlighter and can put the Chante back to its original purpose.

      Delete
  2. Thats very pretty, probably enough colour for me to wear as a blush, you know I have no idea what happened to my light sunshine, I'm sure I had that one, will have to call out a serach for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh! I have lost a great deal of makeup, but eventually it all turns up ... except for my Chantecaille Hydrachic lipstick and a BNIB YSL Touche Eclat. I never knew what happened to that, but it's been gone for over a year now, so I guess it got swallowed up by the house genie.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty!! Sometimes MAC does come out with a great product I guess! I haven't bought anything from MAC in AGES now-I think since last year sometime now as I was finding it just too much to keep up with.But I guess I should still pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The constant collection assault can be so tiresome. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that the more frenetic the pace, the lower the quality.

      I shall never forgive MAC for the unacceptable quality of their Interior Life (Daphne Guiness for MAC) eye quad. Such beautiful colors, but so so so disappointing in texture and payoff. It was the first makeup item I returned in a long time, and I did it out of principle.

      Delete
  4. Hi Zuz, I'm so glad that you found a new love :) That's always an awesome feeling. I do see the warmth you are talking about--- however I think a little extra warmth in the summer months is good. I know it shouldn't matter, but I really like the box packaging too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the packaging, too. I kept it, but then again, I tend to throw all my empties in a big paper bag. I also agree that a little warmth in summer isn't a bad thing.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Everybody on the pink bus, but me first! :^)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic review, pictures, and comparison! I'm so glad that you are happy with this! I agree that it is gorgeous with Gaiety! It's so nice to actually get a MAC product that is of such high quality-- I sure wish that was a more common event these days! I thought about buying a backup to, but then I took a look at how many backups I have and thought that I should be less wasteful! Thanks for the generous mention of my Play It Proper review! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You PiP is better because it really shows the cool base. I was unable to capture it on film that day. Maybe mine will help warm-toned ladies be less wary of it.

      Delete
  7. I missed this one on the site, too. Must check out if Nordstrom ships to Canada as I'd love to get my hands on it. Thanks for the review and pics.

    moushka26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Nordies says it doesn't ship internationally, but surely that can't mean Canada ... which is on the same continent!

      Delete
  8. Ooh it does look lovely in your swatches! I think this was sold out when I looked at this collection in-store, so I only ended up with the nail polishes. Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had seen the nail polishes. Then again, maybe not. I have more nail polish than I will ever wear in my life, even if I wore a color one each finger and toe every day. Sounds like my mantra, where I need more than two eyes.

      Delete
  9. This is very pretty. I have Too Chic, the other beauty powder that came out with PiP in the original release. It is equally creamy and scrumptious. That's my HG highlighter. I'm impressed that PiP exceeds Chantecaille Perle for you. I'm tempted to hunt down PiP; however, I don't think it will be as great for my skin tone as it is for yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember Too Chic, perhaps the memory is faulty because I wrote it off immediately as not being suitable. Although PiP is definitely a cool-based powder, don't be too scared off, as there are some peachy overtones.

      Perhaps I was precipitous in denouncing Perle; I am just going through my fickle phase, temporarily blindsided by something new. I've learned from past mistakes not to give away items I once loved which have fallen out of favor. I end up repurchasing them, and yes, I have done this more than once. ;)

      Delete
    2. I just looked up Too Chic. That looks absolutely stunning, and it gets a solid 5 lippies on MUA.

      Delete
  10. That one looks lovely. Unfortunately, I've boycotted MAC, not due to the typical reasons (marketing missteps, the release of 400 LE items a year in a blatant attempt to create a frantic rush to the counter to procure what are often only average products, etc.), but because at every single MAC counter in the Atlanta area, the SA's are horribly snotty and misguided. I spend tremendous amounts of money on cosmetics. The SA's at Macy's and Nordstrom all know me by name. I am a former makeup artist and know how to apply my makeup tastefully or artistically, depending on my mood. I'm old enough to have plenty of cash to spend on makeup, yet look young enough to still be fun to work with. Yet at every MAC counter I've ever been to, I've been patronized, rushed, or even flat-out ignored in favor of 16-year-old teenyboppers who know nothing of quality and don't have the ability to buy most of what is being applied on their faces. Sorry, but if you see me making large purchases at Chanel and Dior, you should know I'll be a pretty good sale when I hit the MAC counter, as it's much more affordable.

    The very least I expect is a "hello" when I'm perusing the counter. If you can't even do that, you can't have my business. And your funky black outfit and ridiculous hair don't make me believe you know how to apply makeup like an artist. Stop trying so hard to be avant garde and just help me pick out a lipstick, for God's sake!!

    Sorry for the rant. I've apparently been needing to get that off my chest for a while!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Shan, that's a shame! I have had nothing but great customer service from MAC in this area, and the funkier, black eyelined, and more tattooed, the nicer they seem to be. If I had the treatment you receive, I'd boycott MAC in an instant, both in stores and online. I vote with my dollar, and MAC would lose my support.

      Thank goodness there are many other quality brands. Stick with Chanel. They like us old biddies! :)

      Delete
    2. Haha! They love us because they know an easy mark when they see one! And as for MAC, I honestly don't know what the problem is here in Atlanta, as I've heard great things about their customer service everywhere else. Maybe I just send off a bad vibe. I have one of those faces that can look very intimidating if I'm not smiling. I tend to frighten people at times. My best friend laughingly says I look "aristocratic" or "patrician", neither of which I am. I'm guessing the women at Chanel are specifically trained to both cultivate that very look and to pounce on any customer who has it! ;)

      Delete
    3. Maybe you should stick with your own kind, lol!

      I don't mind being fawned over it it gets me good service. ;)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.