Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine 52 Fétiche, Review, Swatch, Comparison

Not very long ago I thought that Lipstick Queen's Jean Queen lipstick was my best "my lips but better" (MLBB) shade, but it was always just a touch too bright to be completely believable as my own lip pigment, enhanced. It occurred to me that, perhaps, I could find the elusive MLBB shade within my favorite lipstick formula, Chanel Rouge Coco Shine ($32.50 / 3g, 0.1oz).

Yes (sigh) those are all mine
I love the Rouge Coco Shine formula—so much so that I have been to the Chanel counter several times, swatched/tried on all of them, discarding all the beiges, browns, warm corals and reds, oranges, and peaches, and purchased the rest. To date, my favorites have been Antigone, Aventure, Bonheur, and Romance.

I also have Fétiche, which Chanel calls "rose" but plunks it into the Violets/Berries grouping. It amuses me how the little card below has check boxes next to it. Should I admit how many little boxes I have checked?





I'll be honest. I did not love Fétiche at first, finding it too muted. I can also tell you there isn't much fetishistic about this color, unless Chanel predicted that I would develop an excessive attachment or regard for it. (Update: Curious about the name, I asked my favorite Chanel SA, who told me that this lipstick likely got its name because Coco was quite superstitious. Whether the correlation is true or not isn't the point but it makes for an interesting story.)

Fétiche is a somewhat demure, mauve-based, rosy pink with gold microshimmers. Since I generally prefer more clarity and brightness in my lip products, I wore Fétiche a few times and then it ended up on the bottom of my Rouge Coco Shine pile for several weeks.






Swatched on its own on white paper below, Fétiche is not terribly exciting. You might be able to see the almost imperceptible shimmer, which I'd prefer to do without, but I can live with it.




Like the aforementioned Jean Queen, as well as Chantecaille Lip Chic, Lancome L'absolu Nu, and some of the Rouge d'Armani lipsticks, Rouge Coco Shine is one of the new lipstick/lip gloss hybrid formulas that feel utterly luxurious on my lips. I wear these stick glosses as I do lip balm, which is many times throughout the day, partly because the lovely slick feeling and accompanying shine quickly fade, lasting not much longer than a typical lip gloss, but also because it just feels so good on the lips. The Rouge Coco Shine formula is very forgiving to aging skin, especially lips whose vermilion border is beginning to fade the way mine is. Also, the shine and subtle shimmer help add fullness to the lips.
 
One day last week, I was working at home and decided to wear Fétiche, which was a halfhearted attempt to use it up as quickly as possible. I caught a glimpse of my lips in the mirror and was taken by surprise. I really liked how the color had worn down to a rosy stain: MLBB, as though I had been born to it.


Just Fétiche on lips (sans pencil or gloss)

In the above photo, I am wearing just the lipstick in two swipes. No primer, lip pencil, or gloss. I normally line the philtrum and top lip border with NARS Larger Than Life Eyeliner in Rue Bonaparte. Sounds weird, eh? The almond color does nothing for my eyes, but it makes one of the best skin-toned lip pencils I have ever used, and when applied just outside the lip line, it draws light and makes my lips appear fuller. This method works much better for me than using a darker pencil, which I think looks fake. Plus, we all know by now that dark recedes.Before that, I was lining around my lips with YSL Touche Eclat, but I digress.

Since I was now in a Fétiche groove, I was curious to see how it compared to other lipsticks, so I swatched it (center below) to what I had assumed were similar colors: Rouge Coco Shine in 54 Boy and Lipstick Queen Jean Queen. Boy is little lighter than Fétiche and has noticeable brown undertones, making it the warmer of the two. Jean Queen has stronger red undertones, making it darker and more rosy, but not necessarily cooler.




I also compared Boy and Fétiche to Rouge Coco Shine 55 Romance (a true favorite), which is the most cool toned, clear, and also brighter than the other two.






Below are some of my favorite Rouge Coco Shines, lined up for the sake of color comparison, because nothing makes a color stand out more than seeing it in context with other colors:




To look at them together, Fétiche, Boy, and Antigone seem the most closely related, but Antigone is much deeper on my lips and Boy looks like a warm pink beige, so how these lipsticks wear on you comes down to your own lip pigment. All but Antigone wear extremely sheer on me unless I swipe several times to build up the pigment.




Bottom line: A whole new appreciation for Fétiche, but quite honestly, almost anything in the RCS formula gets three thumbs up from me. LOVE ♥

All photos copyright © Everyday Beauty.

34 comments:

  1. I keep looking at Fétiche but was worried it might be too dark/blue for me. Having seen it on you and swatched, I'm definitely going to give it a try next time I pass by a Chanel counter. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. My moderately-pigmented lips tend to desaturate color; if Fétiche doesn't work, consider Boy.

      Delete
  2. That didn't start off well, poor Fetiche, but then it pulled you back in :) I really like that shade, there are so many more shades I still want to get...Le sigh... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I have exhausted all possible shades that will work for me, at least so far, from this formulation! At least poor, unloved Fétiche did not hit the bin bag, which would have been even more tragic. It would not be the first makeup item to have suffered that fate, only to have me buy it again. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm totally in love with my evasion Rouge Coco Shine... I've also tried Chance and it's in my wishlist... they're awesome!<3

    http://www.laundmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try Evasion and see if it's cool-toned enough for me.

      Delete
  4. Haha yes, please check off all of the boxes for us, Zuzu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it-I need to get more of these now. I have Flirt and Boy and love them. Right now I'm loving sheer formulas a lot, so that's excuse enough-right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flirt? What is this Flirt of which you speak? It must have been a limited edition like Antigone and Royallieu. No excuses, needed! Try Evasion, Aventure, Chance, and Romance!

      Delete
  6. I only have Boy and Royalieu, but definitely am loving the remaining 5 in your stash!!! I guess it's time for a trip to the Chanel counter soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surprises me! You definitely need to try on Bonheur; in fact all the Violets/Berries, maybe Monte-Carlo. Alas, you would probably have to purchase Antigone sight unseen if you were interested. I can review/swatch it soon if you like.

      Delete
    2. Good thing you didn't throw Fetiche in the trash! It is indeed YLLB. Romance looks like it would be fantastic on you.

      Delete
    3. I know- me too, frankly!!! You are unquestionably sending me off to the Chanel counter to gather some intel :-)

      Yes please, I would REALLY love a swatch of Antigone-- it immediately caught my eye!! xoxoL

      Delete
    4. Yes, ma'am!! I will whip one up soon, hopefully before the end of the weekend. Were you aware that Antigone was exclusive to Saks's? I didn't see it on the web site, so I bought mine at strawberrynet.com. It's also available at FragranceX.com. I've been buying from strawberrynet for years.

      Delete
    5. Emma, Romance is one of my all-time favorites. It definitely ranks among my most face-brightening lipsticks.

      Delete
    6. I can't believe that Fétiche almost in the blog sale pile!!! I just checked Saks.com and Antigone isn't listed, but I will check the Beverly Hills location to see if they still have any left. Thanks for the heads up about FragranceX.com. and strawberrynet! I look forward to your swatch!!

      Delete
    7. Both sites are selling Antigone for $39, but they also both have free shipping and no tax (unless mailed to NY). **Rationalize only when absolutely necessary**

      Delete
    8. Hmmmmmmmm, might have to spend some $$ after seeing your swatches!! :-)

      Delete
    9. I just have to do a bit of resizing and uploading. The post will be ready before you wake up. :)

      Delete
    10. Thanks so much, Zu!! I can't wait!

      Delete
  7. It's always good to hear about lip products forgiving to middle aged lips (like mine). I've not tried these but now I think I'll check them out next time I'm at the Chanel counter. Looking at the tubes arranged together Antigone looks lovely to me. Thanks for the comprehensive review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vita. People either seem to love or hate this formula. I love it precisely because it's so sheer and lightweight, and if I have to apply more often ... well, that just means I actually have a lipstick I might use up!

      Delete
  8. I got Fetiche last summer and I totally agree with you on this colour, excellent! It's even my favourite before the (newer) Flirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should take a closer look at Flirt. Online it looks almost orange, but many reviews say it applies more pink.

      Delete
  9. Zuzu, that color is amazing on you. You look so pretty in the cool pinks and neutrals, and you're so lucky to have naturally rosy lips to anchor the color!

    I must say, I agree with you that Fétiche is an odd name for this one, though. I would have reserved that one for a hot red (obviously). Who knows? Maybe understated is obsession-worthy in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understatement does seem to be the guiding principle, n'est-ce pa? I once read that French women wear only red, never pink. Of course, I shrugged that off as a broad-sweeping generalization (it seems no woman is immune from temptations propagated by blogs and the Internet!), but it's something I remember anyway.

      As for clothes, they do seem partial to black, white, navy, and brown/beige! So a little bright red lip would set off those neutrals nicely.

      Delete
  10. I'm never convinced that shelling out for sheerer formulas are worth it but they do look lovely! Boy is something I would have naturally gravitated to in the past but I'm liking the look of Romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romance is such a happy color! I agree $32.50 is a lot to spend on a sheer lipstick, but it does leave behind a stain, so you could stretch the lipstick by topping it with any old gloss or balm.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh Zuzu, I'm entranced by all the shades... I took a good minute to absorb all the colors! Fetiche looks like a beautiful natural, though I am drawn to your tubes of Chance and Aventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aventure is beautiful, but Chance was my only disappointment. I LOVE the color, but it goes on opaque and a bit streaky on me. I suspect it's just too light and that it would look gorgeous on someone with lip pigment lighter than mine.

      Delete
  12. omg I have Boy, Liberte & Monte Carlo but now I need more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I want Antigone just for the name. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.