Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Charisma, Review and Swatches

source
Once again I am forced to wipe egg off my face and admit there actually is a lip gloss I can stand to wear.

Chantecaille remains one of my favorite brands. It offers a wide range of options from soft, neutral colors to bold and bright, but the common thread throughout the product range is soft, layerable pigment. This fact polarizes makeup aficionados. Either people love the ability to start sheer and build up, or they complain that it isn't pigmented enough. I fall into the happy camp. I find this brand exceedingly kind to aging skin, including the iridescent eyeshadow formula, which is never frosty and clumpy. Coming from someone who gets dressed at dark o'clock each morning, I appreciate that it would be hard to overdo just about anything from this brand, so when light dawns, my face doesn't frighten away the birds.

Recently, I purchased several tubes of Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss ($32, 1 oz.), as well as the Pure Brilliance Trio. As I experimented with the gloss finishes, I found that some of the colors were barely tinted (such as Love and Charm), while still others packed a luscious punch of color. One favorite color is Allure, a deep, clear  raspberry with no shimmer, and the other is Charisma, a sheer, neutral-warm strawberry red.



Charisma has plenty of shine and a little bit of red and pink shimmer. I prefer zero shimmer, but since I can't feel it on my lips (no grit), it doesn't bother me that much and adds to the illusion of fuller lips, and my lips need all the help they can get.






Unlike most lip glosses, which come with a doefoot applicator, Chantecaille's Brilliant Gloss applicator has a synthetic brush, which is perfectly sized to fit within the lip borders and is neither too floppy nor too stiff. One draw from the tube provides plenty of pigment, so there's no need to double dip.

One dunk swatched on NW15 skin

The finish is a bit goopy, but it does not feel sticky (like MAC), and it sits quite comfortably on my lips with a cushiony, almost jelly-like feel. Yes, my hair would stick to it on a windy day. Oh, well.



This formula appears to be fragrance free, but initial application causes a tingle sensation. I guess the tingle comes from the ingredient called, "Flavor." If there is any "flavor" it is very subtle, maybe the tiniest hint of vanilla. According to Chantecaille's web site, this product contains wheat proteins (so caution to gluten-sensitive people), which are supposed to be lip plumping, but the only "plumping" I see is smoke & mirrors from added shine, which draws the light to my lips. Wear time on me is 2-3 hours.


Bottom line: Worth trying, especially if you love a cross between lip gloss and liquid lipstick.

Ingredients: Polybutene, Hydrogenated PolyDecene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Hydrogenated Styrene/IsoPrene Copolymer, Propylparaben, Flavor, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis, Leaf Extract, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate. May contain Mica, Titainum Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Carmine, Red 6, Red 7 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Eosine Y.

All photos taken by me except (1).

11 comments:

  1. I only have one of these-I think it's Charmed? but it's hands down my favourite lip gloss. It just feels so good on the lips! I want to get more of them. This shade looks lovely on you Zuzu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracey, I am sure Charisma would look gorgeous on you, too. So do you prefer Brilliant Gloss over Chanel Glossimers?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful shade! I just finally tried my first Lip Chic but that is the extent of my exploration into Chantecaille. I'll have to try a gloss one day! I really was interested in the cream blushes released for summer so we'll see. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you were able to hold yourself back! Palette d'Olivia has your name written all over it. Right under hers. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is gorgeous. I don't even know why I was asking you about Burberry when I still haven't taken the Chantecaille plunge. My gut tells me that once I enter the Chantecaille fold that it's all over for me!

    It's most interesting to see you starting to warm up to lip glosses, Zu. Of course, it certainly takes a hell of a lip gloss to take the place of no lip gloss at all for you! You know I'm a total sucker for lip glosses and lipsticks that behave like lip glosses-- so you have really gotten me to start considering Chantecaille more seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have access to a Chantecaille counter (I don'! I'd have to drive forever), do treat yourself to a look. The colors and finishes are so subtle. I bet you would adore the Palette d'Olivia, which is made of 7 eyeshadows and one blush, all cool toned.

      Delete
    2. There are several Chantecaiile counters nearby-- including the one at my local Barneys. I still don't understand why they yanked the line from yours-- it just doesn't make much sense. I'm going to make a point to go play with the eye shadows and lip products! You might have to talk to Mr. S after the credit card bill comes in!! :D

      Delete
    3. No doubt! I think much of the line is designed for Olivia, who is clearly cool toned. Lucky for us! Honestly, there are so few lines that cater to we chillers.

      Delete
    4. So nice that there is such a great high quality line with us in mind. The eye shadows that are really capturing my attention are: Granite, Sel, & Meteorite. On the more dramatic end Tanzanite and Lapis. Lapis would be a gorgeous eyeliner-- it would be nice patted on top of RBR Vera eye kohl. Any direction would be great-- because I simply cannot afford to buy all 5!!

      Delete
  4. Sel is the warmest of the trio you mentioned and, in fact, it is very much like the warm golden grey you'd see in raw sea salt. Granite is right up the middle of warmth/coolness (though it leans slightly cool) and it is such a gorgeous taupe color. I seriously would swatch both on the back of my hand on days I worked at home so I could look at them! I could not possibly suggest that you choose Granite over Meteorite--you will need to test for yourself and you might find you love both. I like Meteorite the best because it leans the coolest, and despite looking so dark in the pan, can be so easily layered.

    Another glorious color is Mica. It's harder to find, as sometimes Chante runs out and I fear it will be d/c, but I bought my last pan from Nordies, and I just verified it's in stock.

    Tanzanite is also gorgeous. Just ask Marcia. ;) I think she once said it was her favorite purple eyeshadow ever. It reminds me a little of Laura Mercier African Violet, but it's more creamy and pigmented.

    I think I once owned Lapis (or maybe it was Indigo), and gave it away as being too dramatic for me, but as a Winter, I bet it would look beautiful on your. Especially if your eyes are brown or green.

    Of all three formulas, my favorite is the Shine. It's not at all frosty, more glow.I tend to pat it onto the lid and then press/roll my fingertips onto the finish to get the microshimmers to lie flat.

    If you FORCED me to pick what I think might be your favorites, I'd say Metorite and Tanzanite, but keep Granite and Mica in the back of your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a thorough analysis. I am putting all of your suggested colors on my list, and rather then ordering them online sight unseen- I will head to a Chantecaille counter to actually play with all of the colors. Hopefully the ones that I really want all come in the just the refill pans so that I can save on the packaging and just pop them into one of my palettes instead. I saw swatches of nearly every color on Karla Sugar's blog, and OMG is Mica ever glorious. It seems to me that I am building up, rather than narrowing down my list of wants! :D Why or why must I consider adding another high end line onto my list of makeup obsessions!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.