Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rouge G de Guerlain 66 Gracia

In the last year, my lipstick preferences have evolved from matte, deeply pigmented shades to moisturizing, sheer products. Nothing ages my face faster than a deep gash of color. I had read good reviews about Guerlain Rouge G Le Rouge Écrin ($45), and I've always been intrigued by the packaging. It really tickles that vanity gene, less from an I-need-validation sense than from a structural, architectural sense. It's just beyond pretty to look at. Unfortunately, none of the  department stores within reasonable driving distance carries Guerlain, and I was too lazy to drive into the city, so I took a risk and ordered a lipstick sight unseen.


I decided on 66 Gracia, a plummy mauve color with infinitesimal shimmer. Look how Gracia admires herself in the mirror. Such a vain girl. (There's a boa tucked behind that mirror.)

"Mirror mirror on the ..."


The packaging is, indeed, pretty. It looks like Gracia lives in her own little house, but convenient it is NOT. My first use reminded me of the first time I tried to use a diaphragm, which sprung out of my hands. The lipstick obviously will not stand up, so it's kind of like the courtesan of my lipstick collection, as it just reclines, looking pretty.  And it's heavy. As in paperweight/door-stop heavy. Out of curiosity, I weighed it on my postal scale and it came in at three-and-a-quarter ounces. That's the weight of a protein serving at each meal! There will be no discreetly tucking this lipstick into your pocket ... unless you're accustomed to walking around with a chicken breast bulging out of your jeans.

I don't know if you have ever seen the video ad for the Rouge G lipsticks on the Neiman Marcus web site, but it's worth a peek for the amusing, not-too-subtle phallic imagery accompanied by the somewhat cheesy R&B song that consumes half the ad. Yet another cosmetic advertisement reminds me of the opening frames from The Big Lebowski's Gutterballs. Watch the first 20 seconds and you'll see what I mean.




The Dude abides.

But I digress. If you look closely at Rouge G, you should be able to see the shimmer beneath Gracia's mauve surface.




That's crushed ruby powder, dear people. It's true. I needed a magnifying glass and a stun lamp to read the grey-on-black ingredient list, but there it was, about halfway down. Perhaps having a semi-precious stone ground into my lipstick, along with its Herculean case, makes it worth nearly double what I typically pay for a lipstick, because although this lipstick is very nice, the formula is no nicer than Chanel, Chantecaille, Armani, Laura Mercier, and—quite honestly—even Clinique at its wallet-squealing $14.


Swatched on NW15 skin

Gracia has a cool base with brown undertones, which warms it up slightly and mutes the overall effect. This is not a bright lipstick, but depending on your own lip pigment, it could appear slightly dark on you. On me, Gracia was no more than a half shade darker than my lips, so it melted in as a MLBB shade, except it wasn't necessarily "better." Normally, I prefer a bit more brightness and clarity, but Gracia is a perfectly presentable color, suitable for just about any occasion.



Blotted on white paper, you can see it's not as nude as it appears on my lips, which are fairly pigmented.



Bottom line: Shiny, moisturizing, and long lasting, Rouge G is an outstanding lipstick, but the bulky packaging is my deal breaker.

All photos mine. Videos from Neiman Marcus and YouTube.

22 comments:

  1. I love the packaging of guerlain lipsticks :)
    merrybellyland777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to want these! That colour is fabulous on you though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth the read just to see "The Dude abides."! Never thought I would see a post about makeup that references The Big Lebowski! Had to read it a second time for the details about the lipstick. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ho ho, you have totally made my day, Zuzu. I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on something miraculous by not owning a Guerlain Rouge G, but now I feel a lot better. I think I'd only purchase one if it came in a very, very unique color that captured my heart in some way. Thankfully, they do not (not yet, anyway!). My wallet is dancing for joy. You should probably call this a PSA :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not missing out, Larie. It's pretty but it's not THAT pretty. PSA, lol.

      Delete
    2. BTW, still don't see a comment field under your posts. Not even when I use Chrome, which seemed weird, but then I remembered you're using a third-party add-on for comments. I don't have the same issues with Tracy's, but I don't think her commenting utility is Disqus. FWIW, I often have the same problems on Olivia's (Unknown Beauty Blog) blog.

      Delete
    3. Argh! Tracy is using Intense Debate, which funnily enough gave me way more issues when I used it. So I switched over to Disqus, which was working nicely for me. Does it happen every time? I'll try to contact Disqus about it this week. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
    4. It has been lately. I wanted to comment on your winged liner article but I coludn't. :(

      Delete
  5. Haha the Dude abides! Haha Zuzu you crack me up!
    I have Guerlain Rouge Automatique #166-it's like a Bond secret weapon the way it open up. It's also rather bulky and heavy though. I like the looks of this colour on you, but my lips are pretty pigmented so it would be darker for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, I think of my Rouge Automatique as a box cutter and worry about having it confiscated on a plane. If you think RA is heavy, pick up a Rouge G. Mega heavy.

      As for the Dude ... ♥ He reminds me of my brother before my bro cleaned up and got skinny and healthy with yoga. :)

      Delete
  6. That is beautiful, but i find it difficult to spend $45.00 on a lipstick given how fickle I can be! It really looks lovely on you. I have been trying NOT to look at the Rouge G Lipsticks too closely for fear that I might cave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. There does not seem to be a wide variety of colors for this specific Guerlain lipstick, and as Larie says, none of the colors seems especially ... um, special.

      So I am guessing you haven't bought any Tom Ford lipsticks. ;) Aren't those close to $50. Oh! And Cle de Peau, which I think are $52.

      Delete
  7. It looks really good on you, Zuzu! It's always a let down $$$ price products don't blow you out of the water. However, if it is a "go to" shade, it's worth it. The packaging would be a deal breaker for me, too. I'm sure that case could cause an unsightly bulge in ones pocket:(. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best lipstick for pockets was Prescriptives (case no bigger than the bullet) and the original tiny Besame Classic lipsticks.

      And, no, sadly this isn't a go-to color. I admit it looks pretty on my lips, but it drags my whole face down. Too muted.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this review. I've always wondered about these lipsticks, but the price got me (which means the price is ludicrous, by the way, because as you know I can justify pretty much any price for lipstick). I'm glad to know that the packaging, while pretty, is large, bulky, heavy and generally a PITA.

    However, it sounds like it's a lovely product in and of itself. Too bad the marketing team got a little big for their britches and overdid it with the case. Obviously, between the phallic shape and the heaviness, we can blame a man for the concept. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my guess! ;)

      But, seriously, if you (the collective YOU) had a tiny stash of just a few luxe products, I could certainly see one of two of these sitting prettily on the vanity top. It's carrying it around that's the PITA.

      Delete
  9. Great color. It almost looks like a stain on your lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bella. 66 certainly is very close to my lip pigment.

      Delete
  10. Hey ZuZu,

    I've had this post open on my laptop for several days, with the cursor flashing in the comment box. Try as I may, I've been unable to come up with a witty response to your brilliant post.

    I give up!
    Simply put: Tu es magnifique!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.