Monday, June 11, 2012

Depotting to Simplify a "Clean" Eye

For my entire adult life, and with rare exception, my preferred makeup look has been a "clean" eye and a bright rosy mouth. On me, this translates to zero or very little eyeshadow—always in a color that matches and/or complements my skin tone, and mascara. Only recently have I begun to get the hang of eyeliner, which I used to think made my eyes look smaller but which I now love.

Not long ago, I realized I was wasting too much time each morning considering which cosmetics to wear that day. This dilemma was all the more ridiculous given my penchant for a natural look. I do have variations of the same color, so I wanted to simplify things, and in doing so, weed out the redundancies. I knew that nothing would make that easier than being able to see all my makeup at once, so I went on a fearless depotting expedition with not many casualties.

And so I began this article with the intent to discuss adventures in depotting, but the content organically morphed into my favorite neutral eyeshadows. This became apparent after I had taken pictures of the depot results, which were nestled in a single UNII palette.

There are plenty of excellent written and video tutorials out there on depotting (I included one below the list). Meanwhile, here are some things I have learned about getting over my Fear of Depot:
  • If you adore beautiful product packaging, depotting is not for you. See next bullet point. ☺
  • Depot with bravery and commitment, knowing full well that you may or may not be able to save the compact. Saving the life of an empty compact is just a bonus; I usually throw it out anyway, since I am trying to declutter.
  • Use parchment (NOT waxed) paper between the compact bottom and your heating tool of choice. We don't want glue leaking out onto the flat iron or skillet. My weapon of choice is a 1 1/2 inch flat iron that I almost never use on my hair.
  • Give the compact a few seconds to warm up and then start trying to peel off the label, gently. It will eventually come off cleanly. You can then press the still-sticky label onto the bottom of the depotted pan, either over a magnet or sans magnet if your palette's bottom is magnetized. Note that there is a limited time between perfect-to-peel and wrinkled-illegible-gooey yuckfest.
  • Use something very thin and sharp to pry out the pan; I use various thingies (technical term) in my Leatherman—the least romantic but most-used gift Mr. Petals ever gave me.
  • Test the pan frequently while it's "cooking." Don't even bother trying to pry it loose until it wiggles freely and/or raises from the compact. Sometimes this requires the compact to melt away from the pan, like flower petals opening away from the stigma, but better to kill a compact than crack a pan. 
  • If you do crack a pan, it's not a total disaster, as they can easily be repaired.
  • Rouge Bunny Rouge compacts take longer to melt free than others. Be patient or you could crack the surface. I have found these compacts easier than others to save from certain melty death.
  • Chantecaille is one of the easiest to depot, and you can potentially save the compact if you watch and wiggle frequently.
  • NARS' rubber compacts stink to high heaven the moment they heat up. I would never do it indoors again; I don't know that those fumes aren't toxic. At a minimum do the depotting near an open window and angle a small fan to blow the stink outside, and don't sit right near it.
  • Forget about depotting anything Chanel. FAIL.


Below is the video that taught me the best method to depot.


Now that you have fearlessly made all those little pans homeless, what do you do with them? Palletize them, of course! You can pull out the insert of a MAC 15-well compact to expose the magnetized back, or you can purchase a Z Palette, which has a clear lid, making product identification quick and easy. I prefer UNII for its unbearable cuteness and rugged design; it only looks dainty. The lid snaps closed and the inside has a gasket, so if you were to drop your UNII and the goods inside shattered, all that messy powder dust would stay inside.

I have five UNII palettes, three in the original design, where pans require a magnet on their bottoms,  and two in the new design, which have magnetized backings. My favorite is the original white UNII for its clean, sweet purity. Notice how compact this awesome palette is—barely the length of two Chanel Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks end to end. And the little flower on top reminds me of Chanel's iconic camellia.




Eyeshadow neutrals

Here are above-pictured colors from top left, clockwise:
  • NARS D. Gorgeous (depot/to be reviewed)
  • NARS 413 BLKR (depot; one wee nick at southwest corner due to depotter impatience)
  • Rouge Bunny Rouge Sweet Dust Seriema (depot)
  • Chantecaille Agate (depot)
  • Chantecaille Meteorite (I think this color is available as a refill)
  • Prescriptives Pewter (limited edition a few years ago)
  • Prescriptives Rose Powder (sold as refill only/to be reviewed)
  • Shu Uemura M Beige 804 (discontinued a few years ago, discussed in The Nude Eye article)
Missing from the palette is Prescriptives Mushroom, which had been my favorite eyeshadow lid/crease color for almost two decades. Sadly, when Prescriptives switched from the round, Pick-2 pans to the square U-pick pans, they apparently reformulated the shadow because the color changed from cool dusty-lavender-beige goodness to a warm beige with rose undertones that turn orange on me. Also missing is Laura Mercier Deep Night, an eyeshadow I use many times a week, solely to smudge out eyeliner. I am planning a separate post showing my UNII palettes that contain my favorite look combos that include more than just eyeshadow, just so you can see how truly awesome and portable the UNII palette is.

Below is a larger image of the one shown above, with each pan identified by brand/color:

My everyday eyeshadows

By far, my most reached-for satin eyeshadow base is still Prescriptives Rose Powder, one of the first two eyeshadows I ever purchased along with Px Mushroom. Out of all my other satin-based pinks (Chanel 48 Quartz, 3CC Cool Peony, Shiseido Peony, etc), Rose Powder best brightens my eyes without looking, well ... pink (not that there's anything wrong with that). I wear Rose Powder all over the lid, from lashes to brow bone, apply Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner in 35 Gris on the upper lash line, and then soften that line with Chantecaille Meteorite using a Hakuhodo K005 brush. By smudging the grey color upward, I achieve a ridiculously-subtle smoky eye.

For a matte look, nothing will ever come close to Shu Uemura M Beige 804, not even Chantecaille Peony or Laura Mercier Morning Dew or MAC Yogurt. I have been wearing this color since the mid 90s, but Shu discontinued it shortly before all Shu counters and boutiques departed from the US, and now there is nothing available like it on the Shu Uemura web site. 804 is my perfect skin color: soft, cool, pale greige with pink undertones. It's the color I think of when I think of nude, not the putty-colored stuff that seems so prevalent.

All of the other eyeshadow colors in my white UNII palette re for the crease and/or for softening eyeliner. They are all pretty quiet colors; in fact, none of them really looks very colorful on me, just an extension of my own natural shadows and highlights.

I have a few other favorite eyeliners besides Gris:
  • 30 Marine, which I soften with Laura Mercier Deep Night eyeshadow
  • 84 Taupe, which needs no softening but looks heavenly smudged with RBR Sweet Dust or Laura Mercier Sable
  • 47 Rose Platine, which I wear underneath the bottom lashes only and rarely smudge, though Laura Mercier Topaz is an excellent topper

Favorite eyeliners


I groom and fill in my brows (essential!) with Laura Mercier Brow Definer (discussed here and here), and I add a spot of color to my cheeks, generally preferring NARS Gaiety for it's bright glowy finish. For a matte finish I love Chanel Tumulte.

Because the rest of my face is so subtle, and because Summer types can look washed out, I round out the look with a sheer, bright-rose mouth. My favorites are Chanel Rouge Coco Shine (61 Bonheur and 55 Romance) and Lipstick Queen Jean Queen. For an even more vibrant shot of color, nothing beats Chanel Glossimer in Jalousie, a pigmented-but-sheer fuchsia and one of the only Glossimers that contains NO SHIMMER!

Lipstick Queen Jean Queen




As I mentioned earlier, I am a relative newbie at eyeliner. I finally found a method that works, which is a modified version of the cat eye shown in the following video, which I apply with much less of a pronounced flick. I make the cattail just a hair's width, for the sole purpose of visually lifting corners that are starting to droop.





Here's another good eyeliner-technique video by Sally Hughes:




The next video shows (on a much younger woman) the look I tend to favor: Flawless skin, the clean eye and rosy lips. It's a look that suits any age, as long as you select colors that complement your skin tone; e.g., you might choose coral or peach or bronze instead of rose--or red!



I survived a depot rampage and, happily, almost all of my most-often used products are now in one palette. Lipstick is the only stumbling block, but I would not want to mix cream and powder in the same packaging anyway.

Do you depot or does the thought of potentially ruining packaging give you heart palps?


39 comments:

  1. This is gonna sound slightly odd, but I like seeing people's staples, especially when you get the sense that there are very specific reasons behind the choices. Oh, what's the word? Edited...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not odd, but surprising. In fact I occasionally receive comments from people who love looking at my colorless neutral palette. And I, of course, have you to thank for Laura Mercier Deep Night. It truly is divine.

      Delete
  2. I can't depot! haha, I feel that part of the reason I buy is definitely the packaging, so I can't spoil it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I've felt that way for years, not wanting to adulterate the pristine packaging. Some items I would still never depot, but the rest ... it comes down to practicality. I buy it to use it, not worship it (though I have certainly done my share of worshiping), so if I leave all the little single eyeshadow compacts stacked neatly in my dressing table drawer, I'll either hardly ever use them because I don't see them, or worse, I'll repurchase them, or something exactly like them, because I'll have forgotten that I already have a perfectly serviceable {fill in the blank}.

      As I get closer to my goal of radical simplification, forgetting won't be an issue, but for now I still need a visual reminder of what I have. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny that you mention it! Just this weekend I tried to depot some eyeshadows, and I managed a 70% success rate. But I tried to depot them in the oven, maybe that is not the best method (see Wayne Goss's video for this). I think I will not try to depot anything else for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oven! That had never occurred to me. I'd be afraid I'd do something horrid to the color given the "surround heat," so to speak, but if Wayne depots that way, than I trust that it works.

      Delete
  4. I have been on a huge depotting kick myself! I find I get more use out of my products when they are easier to access and see. Singles in opaque packaging are just a jumble to go through and you forget what you have. Pre-made palettes tend to restrict your usage by having you never consider the individual shades for their own merit. I have been loving depotting all my stuff into z palettes. I did one post about it already but have been really busy depotting so much more since so I need to get another post up! Love your approach in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally about pre-made palettes. They are generally too warm or too dark or too shimmery or are colors I'd not have put together had I been given the opportunity to build my own. I feel like Goldilocks because I rarely encounter a pre-made palette that's just right.

      I saw Modesty Brown's depot adventure, but I must have missed yours, so I'll go check it out. I imagine having all the singles in one location will be of much more use to you in your new career path as a makeup artist! I sure wish we lived closer. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for another great post! I have depotted most of my lipsticks in a Japonesque palette, but I keep my beautiful Rouge G de Guerlain in my bag; unhurt :-). I have my six Laura Mercier eyeshadows in one palette and in theory that's all my eyeshadows. Except I just couldn't throw out a couple of Mac and Bobbi Brown eyeshadows, but when they are gone, only Laura Mercier will remain in one palette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very very impressed that your eyeshadow collection is so well edited. I could almost go down to just Laura Mercier but there are a few gaps in her eyeshadow offerings, like that satiny pale pink and a grey much lighter than Twilight, which is a stunning color. Hmmm, I think I just talked myself into another eyeliner smudger! Must pull that one out of the Purgatory Box. Another favorite is Sable, but I so rarely wear anything brown.

      I am also impressed that you depotted your lipstick! I have not yet been so brave. The thought of beheading my lipsticks does give me heart palps, but maybe this will be my next obstable to overcome.

      As for Bobbi Brown, I ADORE many of her eyeshadows in the pan. Cement, Grey, Baby Pink, Slate, Woodrose ... every single one, without exception, turns orange on me. I suspect there's something weird going on with Estee Lauder brands and my chemical reaction to it, given my formerly-beloved Prescriptives Mushroom also turns orange on me. At one time, I had a hard time deciding whom I loved more, BB or LM. Both have really excellent colors.

      Delete
  6. I have heart palps when I think about depotting my bajillion-pounds worth of Tom Ford blush, but I think I may very well depot my eyeshadows. I am constantly fiddling in the dark for the correct shade, and all of the neutral bobbi browns that I have look so similar in the packaging (this we have in common, apparently). Thanks for the reference materials, and the encouragement to get me out of my rut and looking for a good container for my depotting adventures to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I could alter a Tom Ford product, either. His lipstick packaging is so gorgeous, that when I use up one of the ivory-encased lippies, I might fill it with sand and use it as a doorstop. ;)

      I look forward to reading about your depotting adventures in the future!

      Delete
  7. I've depotted most of my MAC stuff, but I haven't bought anything from them eyeshadow wise in a long time now. I have two Chantecaille ones I bought when I first got into the line, but now I buy them without the packaging. I'm too scared to ruin them! I also have a few Chantecaille blushes I should depot, but again I'm so scared I'll ruin them and they are some of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stupidly did my fist depot (Koren's alcohol method) on a limited edition MAC eyeshadow: Mink Pink. I cracked it to death and wanted to cry. This was before I knew how to fix it, so I threw it away.

      It would be really hard to ruin the product when heated from the bottom. Seriously, you could just leave it there, on relatively gentle heat, until the already-soft metal compact melted away from the pan. I've done it ... by accident (I stepped away too long), but it the pan left behind was perfect and pristine!

      Delete
  8. I cannot depot, for a number of reasons but mostly because I know my limitations! I am quite lazy and cack-handed, and I know that it will all end in tears. I do have a palette, note the singular but I use it rarely, or rather never as I never wear eyeshadow - the lids are non existant and it is a waste of product to have it folded in on itself. But I admire those that do - those organised and cool tempered women, taut of lid and steady of hand. I salute you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellllll ... I never said I was taut of lid. ;) I used to be, but now I have what is known as hooded eyes. I am glad I wasn't born with hoooded eyes, or that flap of skin would be pushing down my eyelashes the way Charlotte Rampling's does (note: not a criticism--I worship her!)

      That said, I need to find a way to work "cack-handed" into a future post. It's such a wonderful-sounding adjective.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this topic!
    Convenience will trump pretty packaging for me. It is so nice to flip open 1 lid, as opposed to 5 or more. I have never owned a palette that every color was a winner, so this is my saving grace. My Z Palette looks much like yours for color choices. I think the depot palettes enables me to get more use out my makeup- if I can see it, I will use it. I just don't have the desire to look through drawers at 5 am.

    Knock on wood, I haven't had any catastrophes. My theory is that if I liked it enough to depot it, I would gladly replace it.

    Congrats on that Lipstick Queen stub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, when you first showed your depotted Chantecaille pans, I took heart. Before that, I had completely mangled Pyrite, mainly because I was impatient and kept trying to pry it free before the glue had softened enough.

      I like your theory. There are a lot worse/more $$$ things we could break, I guess.

      THANK YOU for noticing my little stub, lol. I am so proud of it and will use a lip brush to dig out the last bits. I love that color.

      Delete
  10. I thoroughly enjoy your musings on skintone, perfect shadow colours, and clean eyes. I'm certain we have a very similar colouring and its extremely helpful having pointers to products. This way I don't have to spend my limited funds on getting it wrong!!
    Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellsbells, thank you! And my pleasure. There are surprisingly few pale, cool-toned people blogging about makeup; in fact, I'd guess the average skin tone is NC25-35, so I am always the first to jump on articles written by frosty fair females and am happy to contribute in any way I can. :)

      Delete
  11. ZuZu, as you know, I'm a depotting maven. It's so fun! It's like playing arts 'n crafts with my cosmetics. I just recently depotted eyeshadows from a Rock & Republic trio I purchased from a blog sale. I was able salvage the case so I can use it to hold other makeup that I don't travel with. Strangely, I like being able to fit my things into a small compact palette even though I rarely travel or wear enough makeup to warrant bringing a full travel palette. :)

    I love the look of those sleek white UNII palettes. I haven't purchased one yet because my current system works well, and also because I'm a bit on the fence about the non-removable gasket in the new UNIIs. Do you prefer one version of the UNIIs over the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the R&R depot! Those babies are so thick, it never occurred to me to try to depot them, but I have only one I ever use (Ciggy). I might give it a go in upcoming days.

      As for traveling, I seem to hoard miniature versions of products, especially GPWs and toothpaste, and I have not traveled for work since 1999! (Thank God; I had more than enough for a lifetime back in the day.) I rarely take away vacations because it would cost more per day to board our pets than it would for Mr. Petals and I to stay in a 5-star hotel. So we go on separate vacations or we do stuff around home. So, like you, I have a vastly reduced need to worry about traveling with teh pretty.

      I prefer the original UNII style, but it's a moot point because I do not think they are available anymore. That said, I have never had to remove the gasket. The palettes are so easy to clean with a damp cloth, and for stubborn spots, I use a gentle makeup remover, like Bioderma Crealine Micellar Solution and then immediately buff that area dry with a microfiber cloth. I haven't used the new palettes much, but the backing and gasket looks easy enough to clean with a cloth and a Q-tip dipped in Bioderma.

      Delete
  12. What an extraordinary post. Precisely how is it that you continually manage to outdo yourself, Zu?! The concept is fantastic, the pictures are gorgeous, the videos perfect tutorials! I barely recognized Lauren Conrad-- she's so much more grown up looking since The Hills!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE This post! I feel like depotting everything that I have now-- well- except for the Chanel that is! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Lola. :*

      I didn't even know who Lauren Conrad is. I had to look her up, and based on all the va-va-boom, bronzed images I saw on Google, I vastly prefer her fresh-faced looks in the above videos. She looks like a completely different person. I guess when it comes to makeup, you could say I have a decided preference! Maybe if I had more dramatic/high-contrast coloring I would be more experimental, and maybe not.

      Delete
  13. I went through a phase when I depotted a lot of my NARS, Shu Uemura and Cargo eyeshadows, wanting to cut down on the space they were taking up. However, I've come to realise that I travel too often (and drop my makeup too frequently) to make depotting a viable option. If only empty palettes came in the NARS type packaging; I find the impact-absorbing rubberised cases and rounded edges tolerate trips in my luggage best. My most frequently reached-for eye colours tend to be NARS singles and duos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how easy it is to depot Shu—just poke a pin through the little circle on the back, though I believe eyeshadows are all sold as singles now. I hope they come out with some more matte neutrals for those of us who don't prefer a high metallic shine ... gorgeous as those colors are on other people.

      You raise a good point about NARS; the compacts do help the insides remain relatively indestructible. The rubberized Becca compacts are similar. I would LOVE it if NARS eyeshadows and blushes were as easy to remove as they were to pop back in, so I wouldn't have to ruin the packaging. Something along the lines of Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier's palette concepts.

      It would also be nice if all brands gave us the choice, but I suspect it is not in the company's best interest to have a Chanel or Guerlain pan nestled next to a Wet N Wild. They want to maintain their high-end appeal, and taking a Chanel compact out to powder your nose is instant advertising, so I suppose they will continue to make depotting a challenge, and if you ruin the item in your attempt ... well, having to repurchase it is even better for the brand. ;)

      I do enjoy beautiful packaging, but I really dislike silly packaging, and by silly, I mean eyeshadow (and blush) compacts that are oversized so they can include a useless brush or foam applicator. Edward Bess blush and Chanel eyeshadow come immediately to mind. I might have to sacrifice a Chanel e/s in order to test how easy/difficult it is to get the pan out its housing.

      Delete
    2. I like minimalist, well-made, sensible package that's not too girlish. You're right about Becca and Nars being the most sturdy; Shiseido (blush and eyeshadow) compacts are also pretty good for travelling, being light, slim,, not prone to cracking, but not cheap-looking either. Those three brands are the ones that I travel with the most.

      Guerlain and Chanel would most definitely stay at home; and, considering that I'm pretty much always on the go now, my preference for packaging that doesn't waste space in my luggage or makeup bag means that I tend to steer away from brands like Guerlain at the time of buying.

      Delete
    3. I could not agree more about minimalist, not-too-girly packaging. I love Edward Bess packaging (though not the products) and would love Chanel more if it weren't so wasteful (dump those applicators, people!) Shiseido has a lovely, clean look and I agree it's rugged. NARS, too, but I don't care for the texture of the compacts, which get a bit grubby over time.

      I have always liked Paul & Joe makeup, but I don't care for the pink, deco packaging, and I especially dislike the cardboard lipstick tubes with all kinds of swans and stuff on them.

      Delete
  14. Depotting is not for me as I have just a few eyeshadows and two blushes, ok, three if we count creamy one (but I am a minimalist so I am not afraid of having too much makeup). But the idea of depotting - if you have a lot of stuff - is wonderful.

    I really like the way you choose eye makeup - nothing too flashy, all clean and natural. Not to hide but to enhance.

    About something you wrote above - you are right, there is so difficult to find pale, fair skin bloggers. I've never found blogger with my coloring (NW 15, dark brown hair, hazel eyes). Once I thought I found one, but it turned out she had warm undertones, so almost anything she used was too warm, too red, too orange, too gold etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. escritora, your well-edited makeup collection is enviable. Though mine grew by leaps and bounds when I started blogging last year, I finally feel like I am getting a handle on it, actually becoming bored with the excess.

      I hope you find your skin twin; then you'll know everything she reviews should be suitable for you. Just keep in mind that eye/hair color are not the deciding factors; though there are certainly statistics that support certain skin/hair/eye combos, whether a color is flattering on us *always* comes down to our own skin undertones. Cool or warm? Clear or muted? Bright or light? Deep or soft. Once you know your one main thing (e.g., are you predominantly cool toned or first light and then cool?) it makes shopping SO much easier.

      You have identified yourself as fair and cool, so you should be able to look at the blogs written by fair, cool people with more confidence than others, no matter our hair and eye color. The only challenge is that some beauty bloggers are FAR more experimental than I with color. I know what looks good on me, and I don't bother with the colors that don't. Would a closeup of my eye in a bronzey green or golden brown eyeshadow look good? Yes, I am sure it would look spectacular -- however, as soon as you back up and take in my whole face, you'd quickly see neither is a good color for me, as the green would bring out the red in my face and the brown would just make me look dirty. When I wear the neutrals in the above palette, I barely look like I am wearing makeup at all. My poor husband thinks I don't wear any, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Zuzu, to your credit, I spent a good 30 min (maybe more) ogling UNII palettes today. I came to the conclusion, like you, that the white one is the prettiest! I'm a purist, so I don't think I'd feel right putting non MAC items into a MAC palette, even if I could. I know the Z palette is well loved, but I just can't see myself buying cardboard, and the patterns, though cute, just don't seem so luxe.

    Now, the thought of depotting anything of my precious NARS has me feeling woozy (is it the thought or the fumes :P?), but I would gladly depot the drugstore and sample sized shadows that are just sitting around and not getting used. However, I'm running into a conundrum where I realize that the palette itself might be worth more than the items it houses, which doesn't make sense for stuff I'm not that crazy about to begin with. I think the one thing that would make sense for me is to use it to house 'potless' items like MAC pro refill pans, Urban decay's new palettable shadows (don't have any yet), or Chantecaille colors (don't have any yet). I dislike single pot items to begin with, so I could feasibly focus on building a collection around 'potless' items. In my grand imagined plan, I'd store my 'collection' in the brand's storage palette, and just switch them into my UNII for everyday use or travel. Or at least that's what I've been dreaming about all day!

    Thanks for a great post. It's certainly fueled my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit like a purist but only regarding my objects. I like simple, clean black or white cosmetics packaging, but I don't wear much black and white appeal, which tends to wear me (instead going for marshmallow white and charcoal grey).

      I had a feeling of anyone, your blood pressure would rise the highest at the thought of depotting your beloved NARS. Maybe you can practice on the drugstore stuff you don't care about as much to build up your depotting mojo. It's really too bad NARS doesn't sell refills the way so many other brands do.

      Delete
  16. I admire your perseverance. Your depotting efforts yielded a lovely result.

    I enjoyed the videos you posted. Rosie Romantic only applied eyeliner to the bottom? That's odd, although it appeared she already had some makeup and mascara on the top lashes at the start of the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I agree she did not start with a naked face. I also thought eyeliner applied to only the bottom was unusual, but the model is quite young, so the makeup doesn't seem to visually pull her face downward.

      I wore eyeliner on my bottom into my mid 20s. In fact, my eye makeup mostly consisted of curled lashes, brownish-black Maybelline Great Lash mascara, and a chubby pencil in a shimmery pale violet by Clinique ... underneath!

      When I got colorprinted at Prescriptives sometime shortly after that, I stopped wearing eyeliner entirely.

      Delete
    2. Gaaaaaa! Why can't blog editors modify their own comments.

      "I wore eyeliner on my bottom"

      I think you know I wasn't wearing it on my buttocks and that I meant under my bottom lashes.

      Delete
  17. LOL!!! Right, I knew you meant under your bottom lashes, not your butt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't have very many solo shadows and prefer palettes in the first place, so depotting is so not the thing for me. I also dislike ruining packaging and the hassle of performing the depotting. Great post, though, and very useful to the more pro-types who need the efficiency of a customized palette!

    I'm fist pumping with you on the almost finished lipstick (GOOOOO, ZUZU) and staring at that pan peeking out from the Shu Uemura shadow. I'm still nowhere near hitting pan on a shadow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my eye on that NARS Douceurs de Paris palette next. I am determined to eek out the 3-4 colors I use regularly (adore Violetta and Cordura) and ditch the two I have never worn. That's the main reason I don't care for palettes. I did buy this one during NARS' 20% off sale, which lessens the sting, but eye shadow palettes *always* contain colors I never use. Dior is the worst.

      Out of all your proud empties, have you really never hit pan on an eyeshadow? Back in the old days when I was satisfied with much less, I used to finish an eyeshadow and then repurchase. Granted, I was buying the same two colors over and over. Lipsticks ... now that's another story. I will feel very proud of myself when my lip hits the plastic insert in the tube and I realize it's time to start digging. :)

      Delete
    2. Nope! It's a goal for the year but don't think it'll happen in 2012. Yes, the good old days... :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments. If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.