Monday, June 4, 2012

UPDATED: Protecting (Blogger) Blog Images and Content

Did you know there's a Firefox and Chrome extension that lets you search Google for images using right click or drag-and-drop methodologies? If you don't want to install the extension, I you can go to http://images.google.com/ and drag-and-drop the image you want to find into the search field. I guess you'd need two instances of your browser open at once, though.


This add-on is useful for tracking an image to its source.

It's also a way to see if the everyday photo thief is reusing your images!

Out of curiosity, I searched for my Facebook image and didn't come up with any hits, not that anyone would want to use that tiny thumbnail. Google offered some interesting comparisons, like Ayn Rand and that disturbing image of eyes on breasts.



Disable right click? As further protection, you can disable right-click on your blog (lots of tutorials available out there), but I would not recommend that. Most of us work with multiple tabs, and we don't always want to read in the same window. I might be on a blog and right-click > open in new tab several articles to read after I have finished reading the current one. So disabling right-click could potentially cause us to lose readers.

A more effective way to protect your content is to completely disable copying it in the first place.

How to prevent copying content from Blogger blogs:

Here's the simple procedure for those of us who use Blogger blogs:
  1. On the Design page, click Layout.

  2. Look for the link that says Add a Gadget and click that.


  3. In the Add a Gadget form that pops up, scroll down, find HTML/Javascript, and click its blue plus sign to add that gadget to your page layout.


  4. Insert the following content into the box. Note that you won't be able to copy the content directly from this article because I have copying disabled, but you can find the code online, such as at the Blogger's Trade blog.


    Note: If the above link becomes disabled, search for "Prevent Copying Content From Blogger/Blogspot" and you'll find the code.

  5. Omit a title and click Save.
  6. Drag the HTML/JavaScript gadget to wherever you want on your blog. It won't interfere with other content there, like your Facebook or Pinterest buttons or your post archives or labels, but  I stick mine at the bottom of the page
  7. Click Save arrangement.

Pretty neat, huh?

After you have saved the layout, readers will not be able to copy/paste content directly from your blog into theirs (or anywhere else). They also won't be able to right-click > save image as using your images.

Full RSS feeds? You can also go back to using full RSS feeds, which will make your readers happier. I was wrong--when I tested my setting this morning, I was able to copy/paste content from my full feed as well as right-click images, so you will still want to keep your feeds short to protect them from content harvesters who subscribe via RSS. I am not sure about the mechanics of how they do this, but short feeds will at least add another layer of protection.

I apologize for not having a tutorial for Wordpress, Typepad, and the like. I don't have a blog on those domains, so I am unable to test.

UDATE: Modesty Brown asked an excellent question: Can readers click images hosted elsewhere (like photobucket) and enlarge the image? The answer is yes. If you click the below thumbnail image, it takes you to the hosting site where you can see its full size. Using a MAC, I cannot right-click the image within this Blogger post, but I CAN right-click > save as from within photobucket. Not really surprised there, since they are different applications. .

Photobucket


All screen shots taken by me using Blogger interface; final image used as test on my photobucket account

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Zuzu! I will install it tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I corrected what I said about full feeds, though.

      Delete
  2. My I ask a question with regard to going back to full feed? I thought using short feed was to prevent people using the feed itself to set up splogs. Surely not being able to right click the images wouldn't make any difference, as they're not cutting and pasting from your site? Or does this protect this text too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jane. I should have tested this last night, but I changed my feed before I went to bed, and it hadn't resolved yet from the current short-feed view. This morning I was able to copy/paste content and right-click all of my images, so I have modified the post to be correct. Thanks for keeping me honest!

      Delete
  3. Thanks! I knew about the Google pic search but not the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so very much for opening my eyes to Chanel Le Blanc. I have been mesmerized lately with all the "brightening" skincare and makeup on the market. Looks like I'll be saving my pennies in order to make a few purchases. I really don't own any HIGH end cosmetics, just a few Estee Lauder blushes and eyeshadows. Urban Decay, Too Faced, Philosophy, and Laura Mercier is high enough for me. But I must confess, my heart is fluttering whilst on the Chanel website. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, my pleasure. Le Blanc is, indeed, luxurious. I don't believe we need to spend lots of money on skincare, especially when you are young! But sometimes it's just a nice treat, and I find that Japanese designed/developed skincare actually does give me good results.

      Delete
  5. Wow- Thank you so much Zu-- this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for not disabling right-clicking. I open tabs all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I hate when I can't right-click though I do understand when bloggers disable it for their photos.

      Delete
  7. Nice!
    i follow you on bloglovin,
    follow me back? xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Zuzu, this was a great how-to article. I enjoyed the picture image search results! Some of the results were quite bizarre! I can't imagine picture searching all of my images. I love the idea of not being able to right click images. As for copying text.... I'm not much of a writer, so I'm not too worried about that :P (kidding). After reading this article I was hesitant to install this; I kept trying to think of a downside that I might be overlooking but I can't! Will do it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is I was commenting on Lola's Secret Beauty Blog yesterday and was feeling lazy/wanted to copy and paste something she'd written so I could reuse it in the comment. I COULDN'T! She had disabled copying content, lol. Sure it's a small nuisance to have to type everything, but I think that forces us to all be more thoughtful and original.

      As for stealing your content, you write wonderful, compelling, excellent articles. I am sure someone has reused it somewhere. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for posting this! Very helpful : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot say that I understand this post (well the bare bones I do, I am not totally dumb, just forgetful, overloaded ;) but I could follow the instructions very easily so thankyou Zu. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did it, thank you! I've wanted to protect my writing for a while but didn't know how. As for the photos, watermarking is a lengthy painful procedure and I don't deem my photos that good anyway. This is ever so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already regret it, lol! Now that you all are protecting your text, I can no longer copy content into the comments below and I have to *gasp* type. :D

      Do you think watermarks are hard? I use Techsmith Snagit as my editor (~$40 for both MAC and PC cuz I am too cheap for Photoshop and never learned Gimp), and I can copy/paste the same watermark across a batch of pictures before I upload them. I also discovered that Blogger did something with all my original uploads (moved them to another server? they're N/A in the "from this blog" area now), but the updated Picasa lets you layer text over pictures. The extra step is a pain, but at least when some bozo steals your photo to use on her eBay site, your watermark will be prominently displayed on it. ;D

      Delete
    2. I'd like to get Photoshop eventually (seems almost everyone knows how to use it and I feel like I should) but right now I have nothing and use good old Paintbrush if I feel I must! And I don't want to do it if it doesn't look nice. Watermarking along the edges of the photo is useless because people can crop it out easily without destroying the image. I need something both obnoxious and noticeable yet not too much. Ho hum.

      Delete
    3. I think Picasa will let you overlay a graphic with a watermark that's transparent enough to let the stuff below it show through but still get your mark out there. I agree watermarks along the edge are useless. I have started putting mine right in the middle of the lipstick bullet! The trick is to fend off the jerks without frustrating your regular readers.

      Delete
    4. Well, isn't that funny because photos uploaded to Blogger automatically get stored in Picasa? I'm starting to think that photo storage services should offer options to automatically watermark a customized design.

      Delete
    5. I agree completely. And I sure would like to know what happened to the last year of photos. It looks like I would either have to copy and paste the URL from a previous post if I want to reuse it or upload it again, because when I click "From this blog" there isn't anything there before June 1.

      I did actually practice using a watermark yesterday via Picassa. It works, and you can put the text right across the image/smack in the middle (so theives can't crop around it) and then adjust the opacity.

      The PITA is that I have to do this every time, but I was doing it all the time using Snagit software anyway. Picasa also took away the ability to Andy Warhol my photos, like one in my current avatar, which I designed about a year ago. The nerve. (Or maybe I tweaked the image in the now-defunct Picnik, but I don't think so.)

      Delete
    6. I'll have to fiddle around with it when I feel more vigilant. Most likely after I've become the victim of an unsourced pin on Pinterest, lol. Thanks, Zuzu!

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing such a helpful post! As a new blogger, it is great to learn new things from other bloggers:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Rola. I am pretty new at blogging, too, but I have geeky leanings, so I am always looking for ways to hack Blogger's canned templates--especially if it helps protect our content. :)

      Delete
  13. Hi there

    Thanks so much for this post. I have inserted the text and now copying of the text content is disabled, but there is still the option to right click - save the images. Do you know why this part might not be working?

    Thanks again,
    JabeMara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to insert another piece of code to disable right-click on photos, something like jquery, I imagine.

      I didn't bother because I waterstamp my photos, and also because the effort won't stop photo theft. For example, anyone with Photoshop talents could remove the waterstamp, and all anyone on a Mac has to do is command + shift + 4 to scale to anything on the page they want. On Windows, you just need a screen-capture tool. So I just assume people steal my pictures because they like them. :) As long as they aren't reusing them to sell stuff on eBay, I don't really care. In this world of Tumblr and Pinterest, there's no such thing as keeping my content in one place.

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.