Friday, August 3, 2012

Julie Hewett Camellia Lip Balm — Ruby and Rose



I am fairly certain I've mentioned I am a lip balm fanatic. I have been since my early teens, and I wear it all the time, even under lipstick or gloss. My favorite, by far, is the Camellia Balm by Julie Hewett. It comes in stick form—which looks like some of her basic lipstick tubes, and it also comes potted with a tint.




This product is amazing, a true staple. The texture is silky, and it sinks in as it warms up on the skin, but it still leaves behind some shine. This lip balm is truly hall of fame and made it into my 2011 favorites. There's no doubt it will also be among my 2012 favorites.


Ruby and Rose potted balm


Rose is very subtle and shows up as a light shiny pink on my medium-pigmented, mauvish lips. 






Ruby, on the other hand, is surprisingly pigmented for such a sheer wash of moisture.




Rose and Ruby swatched on paper

I have recently returned from a few weeks of living on the beach surrounded by woods, so I didn't need much in terms of makeup. I pared down in ways that surprised even me. Besides the truly excellent Clinique Butter Shine Lipstick in Fresh Watermelon (a gorgeous blue rose), which went with my "public face," I lived among the mosquitoes, ducks, loons, fish, egrets, and seals in Julie Hewett Camellia balms—day and night. Now that I am back in my real world, among human creatures, I find this lip balm is outstanding at sheering out matte lipsticks that I love but which tend to feel a bit dry as they sit on my lips throughout the day.

Get thee to the Julie Hewett web site and buy some Camellia balm. Stat! And I highly recommend subscribing to their newletter so you can be notified of any product launches and sales.

Bottom line: Best. Lip. Balm. Ever.

All photos taken by me

12 comments:

  1. Ok, you have convinced me-- I must have both!!! I'm going to subscribe to her website right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great! I'm a lip balm addict too, and always have at least 5 in my purse. Will have to look for these around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this!! They looks yummy in your excellent photos. Our friend Olivia or Fauxlivia as she is now calling herself has already praised JH's cosmetics and this post gives me more reasons to check them out. Your vacay sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia is 90% responsible for just about every Julie Hewett item I own. Ammie and Veuve share the other 10%. Enablers, all!

      Delete
  4. I've only tried the non-tinted version; guess I need to step up to the tinted ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ruby looks almost warm in the pot, whereas it looks quite blue on the paper swatch. Thanks for the heads up about the sales. Glad you had a good vacation. - Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, Ruby looks warm in real life, too. Surprisingly it shows up as a cool cherry red on my lips.

      Delete
  6. I NEED these in my life--especially Rose! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! :D I'm obsessed with lip balms too and since I don't wear lipstick, a tinted balm is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look yummy.
    Is there any difference between the stick- and pot-form formulae?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I can tell. The pot formula might be a tiny bit more slick, but that also could be because I am using my finger to apply it. I wish she'd put out the ruby in stick format. I'd be all over that in a millisecond!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a specific question or request, please feel free to e-mail me directly. Comments that contain advertising links or shameless plugs will not be published.